Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you make a change?

NCSurfing

What I am finding more and more  is that different lakes  have different vibes to them.  Additionally different areas of the lake have different vibes to them.  I've been looking a lot  at permanent lakefront property instead of the cottage situation that we have now. many smaller or more low traffic lakes  I am simply not considering because I do enjoy surfing.

For instance I can usually surf on my current  Lake without issues at all because it is a party lake with tons of traffic going to and from a very popular Sandbar.  However during the week I did recently ran into a similar issue is yours. It was simply because people were expecting the lake to be quieter   

Clever since you cannot move the lake that you are on. Best move is probably what many others have said  which is to kill them with kindness . 

It's probably worth trying to avoid that area when you surf and if you have the option to find shoreline without homes to pound the big wave into . 

I think your Sewall, your dock, and your boats  should be appropriately sized for the traffic  that you're  Lake commonly has.  If you have a low traffic lake without a bunch of servers and the lady on the dock may have a point (but you do too )

Sorry for the typos my wrist is  messed up voice recognition is all I have 

Edited by 95echelon

NC,

As others have noted I would try to send my larger wave to the left, it looks undeveloped.  Then I would try to hug that shoreline on the way back.  

You bought lake front for the convenience of your life.  If there is an equally good riding spot close by I would go there.  However I WOULD NOT go too far away to the point it becomes inconvenient for you.   

Example in the fall if you only have 90 minutes of ride time I would not waste 20 minutes each way to passify this neighbor.   

I like the idea of standing on the shore and having your wife drive by, depending on the situation.  IF this Neighbor is looking to be difficult, then they would likely interpret your visit as an admission of guilt.  So I would be careful there....

Thanks for the all the input guys. In the end, we decided to ride just out of our cove and begin our watersports there - this felt like the right thing to do and it's what I would like to see happen if the tables were turned. That said, my wife was not happy about it...not so much because of the change rather because the neighbor was so sh*tty about it (in fact, she was swearing and our kids were on the boat). My wife is as sweet as she can be until someone jumps on her like that - then it's on.  Now, every time she takes the boat out I have to remind her to be nice :) 

I don't know the time it takes to get out of your cove but for me I could start from my lift. I don't, I idle around to get to operating temp 160. Would that help your wife?  I understand her thoughts but then is not likely to change at least not tomorrow.  Sounds like they could be a challenge Good luck and good surfing!  

You never know what her past experience has been with surfers.  Last weekend I saw some guys in a brand new 23LSV surfing down the shoreline 20-25' from the end of the docks.  The  main channel at our home lake can be glass and some people still pick the coves to surf. I really don't get understand. These are the types of people that will cause ballast laws to be implemented.

Waves in water hold their energy and carry a long ways. The current laws, most in the 150ft from shore range, are based on standard boat wakes. And I am sure those were created when the standard run about was 17' long and weighed 1500#, the distance just hasn't been adjusted over time. Now we are running 23' boats weighing in at 8000#+, with devices to increase the wake size. 660' is really nothing when you are talking about a 2-3' wake, it will carry that far easily. We can run around saying, "You live on a lake front, deal with it" all we want but in the end people will only put up with so much. I wakeboard, I make a wake. I want to continue to have that ability, but I am afraid with what I've seen and heard, out local lake will be banning wake induced sports because of the damage and "safety concerns" around the large wakes being thrown around. It's like buying a house on a street and a group of street racers move into town and decide the run in front of your house is ideal for fast driving and straight pipes. Yeah, it's dangerous and annoying, but you live by the street so you should deal?

31 minutes ago, Falko said:

It's like buying a house on a street and a group of street racers move into town and decide the run in front of your house is ideal for fast driving and straight pipes. Yeah, it's dangerous and annoying, but you live by the street so you should deal?

Umm....No.  

It's nothing like that.  

Edited by bamaboy

I would still surf it.  What about those who live on a river, often very hard to obey the 100' rule, let alone 660'.  Our long narrow lake is similar, yet people surf, larger boats plow by, jetski's come too close, etc.  I simply pull the kids out of the water if it's too crazy (and waverunners that I don't recognize are zipping around), and if it's too busy with boats I park mine until they clear out.  No big deal.  And my sea wall is crumbling, and I am letting it fall in the lake, and put rip rap over the top because it's better for the lake.