Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

Just now, mikeyg said:

Get rid of the iPad screen and give me some rocker switches and old fashioned gauges and I'm in 

"platinum edition" axis with PW2 and shock assisted tower.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

I was messing around on website and building one. Not sure if its been mentioned previously but, none of gel coat has the metallic flakes. 

Yeah, no metal. Although the promo boat does!

The builder shows 5 tower color options?

I think this will probably hurt 22VLX sales. Also resale on 2015 and 2016 VLX probably took a hit. Mr and Mrs. Uniformed shopper will see the used prices on Craigslist or elsewhere. Then shop at the dealer and learn they can get a new 21 for less or similar. Yes, WE know the difference but 95% of the buyers won't, don't or won't care. 

Edited by teamerickson
  • Like 3

That's probably the window sticker MSRP. My dealer sent me one and the MSRP was around 113. 

It will make you feel all warm inside when they say "ok we'll sell it to you for 80!"

Edited by teamerickson

I think that what Malibu is doing with this boat is great.  To say that this boat is stripped down to The Ride status seems far fetched.  The ride series boats had different vinyl, trigger switches, manual wedge, etc. they were pretty much axis boats before axis.   

This boat has pretty much the same standard features as the rest of the malibu line up just a smaller beam and none of the unnessascy upgrades.  I would be very interested to see if this boat feels bigger than my VTX.  I would think this boat will do very well   

The complaint about using the VLX name on this boat I don't really understand.  The VLX was originally a 21 ft boat.   They went away from that for what 2 years.  Now they are bringing back a 21 ft VLX.  

Now to play IXFEs game    

I would have made the VTX line the value line and I would have come out with 22 VTX. I think that size is the right size. 

Now to do this I think they would have to bring back the old hull on the 20 VTX and make the 22 with 100 inch beam but not the amount of freeboard in the 22 VLX.  

You could easily market this as your new 22 ft cross over  with one of the most recognized cross over names in the industry of the VTX   

You get power wedge, surf gate, base motor, 2 colors max on the hull and interior(not including white) black or white G3 tower, 1 set tower speakers, amp 6.5 interiors, sub, grey sea deck floor, 1set of racks, Bimini, ballast tanks, PNP, cover

I think your IXFE scenario of using the VTX line as the value moniker is exactly why we are confused over using VLX as the name for this boat.   The VLX has never been the value model in the Malibu lineup and for years it was the flagship model.    At least for now, you can't option up a 21VLX like you can the 22VLX and obviously the pricing reflects that.   Thus, the confusion as they both share the VLX name.  That being said, I really like what I see in the 21VLX, regardless of what they call it.     

• Like 2
6 hours ago, bamaboy said:

I was wrong.  You couldn't replace Wayne Wilson.

You think the CFO is dreaming up Malibu's product strategy???

Home slice, I can run circles around Wayno. 

Disclaimer: If you're reading this Wayne... I got nothing but love for you, brutha!  ;)

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

I think your IXFE scenario of using the VTX line as the value moniker is exactly why we are confused over using VLX as the name for this boat.   The VLX has never been the value model in the Malibu lineup and for years it was the flagship model.    At least for now, you can't option up a 21VLX like you can the 22VLX and obviously the pricing reflects that.   Thus, the confusion as they both share the VLX name.  That being said, I really like what I see in the 21VLX, regardless of what they call it.     

The vtx has also never been the value model of the Malibu line. It has always had the same features as the rest of the line, it's just a 20 foot boat so it was the lowest priced of the Malibu line. 

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

The vtx has also never been the value model of the Malibu line. It has always had the same features as the rest of the line, it's just a 20 foot boat so it was the lowest priced of the Malibu line. 

Agreed.  I didn't mean to infer that the current VTX was a value model. I was referring to Chris Browns comments on making the VTX the value line.  My argument for not using the VLX as a value moniker would also apply to not using the VTX moniker as a value line in Chris's example.  

Lsv and mxz owners, watch out.  Next year, it may be your turn to take it on the chin for the "all new" 20% off boat (using your models' moniker) that crushes your boats value in one fell swoop of exposed Fiberglass.  When you're on the receiving end of that when a new "lsv" for $85,995 comes out, maybe you'll understand why I'm bothered.  There is no way dealers and buyers with a long view think this is a good idea.  But what do I know though, I'm just a lowly consumer....albeit one that's had many 'bus.  However, I view this as a short-sighted grab that leaves the former buyers (many of which have been extremely loyal repeat buyers) holding the bag.  

This is totally different than a Vride model or new line like the nxt...They're calling this a '"wakesetter vlx" for crying out loud!  I'm not trying to be dramatic, though I know I sound like it, this is wakeboat sacrilege!  There is NWIH CC or MC does this to their most sanctimonious models and their 20 year hard-earned lineage.  It makes me wonder how well the history of towsports and Malibu history is even known in Loudon these days.

Just because they will sell a bunch does not mean it's the right long-term strategy.  

I bought a 2016 VTX, so this is personal.  This "strategy" will affect what myself and many other shoppers will be willing to spend on their next boat knowing that at any time Malibu could release a comparably sized "budget" boat saving $15-20,000 and killing their resale...that is of course, unless I get steered to one of these "budget 'bus" myself, in which case the long term panache of the whole brand is affected.  This is a Pandora's box and a huge mistake in my opinion, especially calling it a Wakesetter VLX.

I have no problem with any manufacturer wanting to provide a leaner, more cost-effective alternative.  Personally, I loved my Axises.  But you don't use your most well-known model as the exemplar for cost-cutting corners!  Especially when the last 30 years Malibu has done all it has to push the envelope forward.  Now you move backward using your halo model?  

Stock down 2% yesterday.  I'm about to send it lower (but not by much :lol:).  

As I said in a previous post, I'd love to be a fly on Bob's wall when he hears this.   Maybe he'd like it, but I strongly doubt it.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 3

Erickson,  if you can buy a 21 vlx for 80 and a 22 vlx is 95, who is going to pay that?   Ask your dealer which they'd rather sell.  There's only so many buyers out there. 

5 hours ago, teamerickson said:

Yeah, no metal. Although the promo boat does!

The builder shows 5 tower color options?

I think this will probably hurt 22VLX sales. Also resale on 2015 and 2016 VLX probably took a hit. Mr and Mrs. Uniformed shopper will see the used prices on Craigslist or elsewhere. Then shop at the dealer and learn they can get a new 21 for less or similar. Yes, WE know the difference but 95% of the buyers won't, don't or won't care. 

Or maybe the '15 and '16 22 vlx's will look even better now considering you are getting more boat for relatively close price points.  I think the 2017 22 vlx's will definitely be a much harder sell because the price gap widens significantly.

Lets talk about a 21vlx compared to a 22vlx...

We are comparing an apple to orange here.  The 21 vlx is not a 22 vlx.  You can start with the obvious size difference, 98" beam compared to 102", 21' compared to 21' 10".   21 is also 300 lbs lighter.  Interior wise if you start looking at a 21 vlx you can see some differences, cup holders on the 21 have plastic cheap looking logos compared to finished stainless wakesetter LED badging, lack of combing pads in walkway, much more glass exposed throughout the 21vlx.  Lack of wakeview seating options in the 21.  Less interior speakers in the 21.  What about the freeboard? Same, different? I dunno...anyone on this?

And wake comparisons between the two...that is kind of a big deal, the 22 has been proven for two years now both in wake and surf.  Infact if I recall someone mentioned on this forum blind folded they would have a hard time telling the difference between the surf wave from a 22 vlx and 23 lsv.  We will have to see what the wake and surf reviews are on the 21 in comparison to the 22vlx.  Time will tell...

Malibu also lists the 21 with snap out carpet as a standard option on there website.  Does the 21 come with gator step flooring, pnp, ballast bags for lockers, onboard battery charger for batteries?  There seems to be a little confusion on what actually comes with a 21 vlx and what is extra.  These items are also not standard on the 22, but I think the $80k will be a bit more once you start adding extra stuff that are some hidden costs.

I am not knocking this 21 vlx, it is a well priced boat for what it is...but let's also keep it real comparing to a 22 vlx.  From what I am seeing they are definitely not the same boat in size, options, fit and finish.

Edited by Fman

Talked to the dealer today about the 21 VLX price. Learned that the $80K for the 21 VLX doesn't include their $7600 "freight & prep" charge. Meanwhile the other boats like a 20 VTX they have been quoting already has that charge built in. They'll get their pounds of flesh somehow. Not sure if that's just this dealer or not. 

58 minutes ago, SammamishMalibu said:

Talked to the dealer today about the 21 VLX price. Learned that the $80K for the 21 VLX doesn't include their $7600 "freight & prep" charge. Meanwhile the other boats like a 20 VTX they have been quoting already has that charge built in. They'll get their pounds of flesh somehow. Not sure if that's just this dealer or not. 

Your dealer is wrong, misinformed, etc.  My info comes straight from the factory.  

Freight charge is absolutely included.  In fact, Malibu went so far as to standardize the freight charge across all dealers (for this boat only) no matter how far/close they are to Loudon. 

The $80K is supposed to include prep as well, but I guess there's no way to enforce that.  

• Like 1
Just now, 67King said:

I would personally much rather have the nicer fit and finish that is typical of Malibu throughout the boat, while having analog gauges and less automation with the settings typical of Axis.  Maybe I'd call it Malibu fit and finish with Axis technology.

I totally agree. Give me a 22VLX with toggles and analog gauges and I might be back in a Malibu (for 70k all day of course). I was actually pretty disappointed to see the new electronic switches in the 2017 Axis...

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

You think the CFO is dreaming up Malibu's product strategy???

Home slice, I can run circles around Wayno. 

Disclaimer: If you're reading this Wayne... I got nothing but love for you, brutha!  ;)

I'm sure Wayne is just enthralled by this discussion

• Like 3
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Your dealer is wrong, misinformed, etc.  My info comes straight from the factory.  

Freight charge is absolutely included.  In fact, Malibu went so far as to standardize the freight charge across all dealers (for this boat only) no matter how far/close they are to Loudon. 

The $80K is supposed to include prep as well, but I guess there's no way to enforce that.  

Right on the money here... The dealer here in Madison was at our Wake the World event yesterday (which went AWESOME!) and a few of us who are also members of the crew asked him about the 21VLX.  He said he hasn't been trained on this boat yet (and likely won't until the dealer meetings) so I feel whatever dealers are saying out there should be taken lightly.  With the summer time being so busy, they focus on service in the summer and don't even order 2017's until winter, hence why he hasn't been trained in on it yet.  

I think as long as Malibu trains the dealers to show the differences in fit and finish between the 21/22 VLX it won't be that large of an issue as far as undermining the value of a 22VLX.  And as we have heard on here multiple times, this is a "promotion" of sorts and prices will inevitably go up.