Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

$79,995 - The Official 2017 21VLX Thread

NWBU

2017 software is a little different as well, better stereo integration and control as well

in regards to gobble, the 2017 (vs a 2015) has a bigger motor, hydrolic Rams, and an updated tower to name a few items

• Like 3

So maybe my point was a held over 2015 22VLX is a better deal than a 2017 21VLX, that the $80k price didn't seem like that much of a breakthrough.

However, I don't want a 4500 pound boat which is why I didn't buy that held over 2015. I just spent the last hour on the phone with my local dealer and this new 21VLX has my interest. I might throw my 2013 up for sale at the end of August and see what happens. If it sells I'd maybe order one of these.

Although which is a better boat, a low hour 2013 that stickered over $100k or the new 21VLX? I'm guessing the new boat but can't say I know the answer to that question.

Edited by gobble
48 minutes ago, gobble said:

So maybe my point was a held over 2015 22VLX is a better deal than a 2017 21VLX, that the $80k price didn't seem like that much of a breakthrough.

However, I don't want a 4500 pound boat which is why I didn't buy that held over 2015. I just spent the last hour on the phone with my local dealer and this new 21VLX has my interest. I might throw my 2013 up for sale at the end of August and see what happens. If it sells I'd maybe order one of these.

Although which is a better boat, a low hour 2013 that stickered over $100k or the new 21VLX? I'm guessing the new boat but can't say I know the answer to that question.

also keep in mind 2016/2017's have a 5 year warranty on them

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

I used to have a '13 VLX so I know where you're coming from... 

Here's what you'd be giving up:  

• The '17 21 VLX is 98" beam so 2" narrower than your boat... maybe you'll notice maybe you won't.  
  • And as noted by @85 Barefoot and myself, some of the areas on the 21 VLX will look at little more bare than your boat (no combing pads on the walk thru, glove box, etc.)

That said, I think there are a number of improvements you'll notice over your 2013 VLX

• New dash screens, which are a HUGE improvement over the old gen
  • 6.2L motor instead of your 5.7L motor... basically two free motor upgrades
  • 1.72:1 transmission vs. your 1.48:1 transmission
  • 15" prop vs. your 14.5" prop
  • G3.5 Tower with new latching system (seen here), which is a GIGANTIC improvement over the G3 with the knobs
  • Power Wedge II
  • Larger surf gates
  • Improved PnP plumbing
  • New style vinyl, which I really really like
  • Better stereo (Wetsounds)
  • Better storage (batteries moved under the bow seats)
  • Better transom seating/bench
  • Better trailer (yeah, Malibu trailers are better than Boatmate, imho)

I'm sure I've missed a few things... but honestly that's a lot of new stuff for $79.9K

Actually the tranny is 1.48:1. If I remember right, but I could be mistaken.  

I'd need the dealer to install seat heaters and force air heater.  That would be a deal breaker if we were shopping.

• Like 2

They call it a "crossover" boat. Do you think that's accurate? I have no interest in a VTX. Is it safe to consider this a real VLX? It looks taller and it's heavier than a 2013 though. Would the "crossover" aspect hurt the surf wave?

14 minutes ago, bamabonners said:

I think it looks great.  It checks all the right boxes for me.  I just wish we would not consider 80k as value priced.  60k and I'd already have one ordered.

While I agree with 80k not being "value" price... It is a good package relative to the market price.  60k is the Axis lineup, the 21VLX is the bridge to tie the two lines together as multiple people on here agree with.

The Malibu video shows metal flake and a white tower. The dealer told me it only comes with a black tower and metal flake isn't available. I also don't like that it says Malibu on the side vs. Wakesetter.

13 minutes ago, gobble said:

They call it a "crossover" boat. Do you think that's accurate? I have no interest in a VTX. Is it safe to consider this a real VLX? It looks taller and it's heavier than a 2013 though. Would the "crossover" aspect hurt the surf wave?

I would not think so.  Afun had the 21 VLX and it was THE SURF NINJA!   so I think a respectable wave would be attainable.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, gobble said:

The Malibu video shows metal flake and a white tower. The dealer told me it only comes with a black tower and metal flake isn't available. I also don't like that it says Malibu on the side vs. Wakesetter.

You'll have to get used to seeing that since all the 2017 models have the same change in badging to show "Malibu" more prominently on the side now, with "Wakesetter" in smaller lettering near the transom.

I saw this photo boat on the water...very sharp. I did not get to ride in it, but the folks who did were impressed. 

Like other said, the new gel lines and logo placment is the new normal. Took me a few days, but I like it. 

I always wondered why Malibu was less prominently displayed on the boats. I cant count the times people on my boat has said, no that is not a Malibu that is a wakesetter...as if it was a diff brand..

Edited by Cipro
1 hour ago, bamabonners said:

I think it looks great.  It checks all the right boxes for me.  I just wish we would not consider 80k as value priced.  60k and I'd already have one ordered.

$60k and you'd have a Moomba :) 

Sorry, couldn't resist.  That just seems to be where pricing is now. 

• Like 2
On 8/6/2016 at 4:29 PM, NWBU said:

There's been a lot of discussion on this boat already in the 2017 thread but my local dealer is advertising the new 21 VLX for $79,995 now, so hopefully the rest of the dealers will follow along. Just saw this post on their FB page with the launch video Malibu just put out.

Timing on this release isn't great since Nautique just made a splash with their 20' launch at GM yesterday, but better late than never I guess.

https://www.facebook.com/activewatersports.boatsales/?fref=ts

The rep i got my 25lsv said the axis boats have jumped so high in price now that u can basically step into a stripped malibu for near same price. Not sure how that will affect sales or if more ppl will be contemplating between a slightly smaller bu vs slightly larger axis?

8 hours ago, wakebrdr94 said:

2017 software is a little different as well, better stereo integration and control as well

in regards to gobble, the 2017 (vs a 2015) has a bigger motor, hydrolic Rams, and an updated tower to name a few items

I also had to think about this the 2017 speakers they say are a little better interior speakers but supposedly more noticeable when extremely loud my 2016 seems way better than my 2013 and it hurts my ears as it is so depends how loud u wanna be if the 2017 is worth it or not.

IS A 2016 software able to update to 2017?

I don't like Malibu setting the price on this one...  What about resale?  If everyone knows you can get one for $80k otd it's going to be hard to sell it after a year or two when everyone know you can get a new one for "x" amount.  Sure you got yearly price increase so we will see where it ends up. 

I guess if I were look at one used with 100 hours for 70-75 and knew I could go order one with zero hours and full warranty it would be hard to buy used without significant incentive.

41 minutes ago, mbianchini said:

I don't like Malibu setting the price on this one...  What about resale?  If everyone knows you can get one for $80k otd it's going to be hard to sell it after a year or two when everyone know you can get a new one for "x" amount.  Sure you got yearly price increase so we will see where it ends up. 

I guess if I were look at one used with 100 hours for 70-75 and knew I could go order one with zero hours and full warranty it would be hard to buy used without significant incentive.

Great point, Mike. I hadn't thought of that. 

The one thing I will say is that I've been told this "deal" is likely not forever. At some point Malibu will open up the order sheet and dealers can option them up like any other boat. Once the national campaign fades away dealers will also be back in the driver's seat when it comes to pricing.  At that point I would assume we'll see street pricing closer to VTX (i.e. $90k plus). 

But I hear what you're saying... Everybody will always know what this first batch went out at. 

This whole thing reminds me of 2006 when MC advertised the X-1 at $39,995. Remember, the X-1 was actually the first gen X-Star (and later X-2) and considered at the time to be a dynamite wakeboarding machine. I was just coming into the boat market and boy did I want that X-1!  It wasn't nearly as well equipped as the new 21 VLX; no stereo, single axle trailer, didn't even include racks!  The point is that national deal didn't last long and by the time I was really ready to buy a few years later a new X-1 was selling for $50k - $60k. In 2009 I almost bought an '07 X-1 for $40k... Probably pretty close to what the original owner paid!

If history repeats itself the folks who get into these $80k VLX's might do really well on resale. At $80k it's over 30% off the real MSRP. That kind of discount usually means good resale value for the original owner.

Just for fun, here's the boat the "almost" started it all for IXFE!  I liked it so much that years later I tried to copy that boat with my first Malibu... ah, the memories!

P1010806.jpg

IMG_9159.jpg

2 hours ago, mbianchini said:

I think IXFE is spot on...

I would be surprised if it is the same price next year, or even in a few months....Malibu has been increasing prices on average 4-5% a year.  I would think this boat will be no different.  Also keep in mind this is the first year of production, they want this to 21 vlx to sell quickly, get them out the door and on the water.  As demand increases so will the price.  No different than when Axis were first released they were a value buy, now they have gained popularity and are much more expensive.  If you have interest in this new 21 vlx I would not wait and jump on it, I can't see it being this price for long.

11 hours ago, The Hulk said:

The rep i got my 25lsv said the axis boats have jumped so high in price now that u can basically step into a stripped malibu for near same price. Not sure how that will affect sales or if more ppl will be contemplating between a slightly smaller bu vs slightly larger axis?

I also had to think about this the 2017 speakers they say are a little better interior speakers but supposedly more noticeable when extremely loud my 2016 seems way better than my 2013 and it hurts my ears as it is so depends how loud u wanna be if the 2017 is worth it or not.

IS A 2016 software able to update to 2017?

My factory contact said the 17 software is not compatible with the older versions. Apparently there are hardware changes in the system.