Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil Pressure Warning - 20 psi - Help!

2004 Wakesetter 23 LSV

On the boat today, oil pressure warning came up on dashboard. Oil pressure psi didn't fluctuate like normal, stayed at 20 psi consistently. I'm sure there are several threads about these issues, but can someone point me in the right direction to start?

Some oil in the bilge, but hard to tell how much.

Checked oil after it cooled down. Looks like I have a leak - very low. Assume I need to add oil today and see if it's a fast or slow leak?

For 2004 Wakesetter, what's the best oil to use?

1 hour ago, malibular8 said:

Checked oil after it cooled down. Looks like I have a leak - very low. Assume I need to add oil today and see if it's a fast or slow leak?

For 2004 Wakesetter, what's the best oil to use?

Fast or slow doesn't matter, really.  You need to find and fix the leak.

Any 40 weight diesel oil will do. The winter number doesn't really matter because its never too cold when we use our boats. I use 5w-40 Moblil 1 TDT. It's not that much more expensive than the shell or chevron diesel oil. 

42 minutes ago, robbennett said:

Any 40 weight diesel oil will do. The winter number doesn't really matter because its never too cold when we use our boats. I use 5w-40 Moblil 1 TDT. It's not that much more expensive than the shell or chevron diesel oil. 

dougice16_zpsrrtob5js.jpg

I think our Sportster appreciates the winter number in January!

Showing my ignorance, have not heard of using diesel oil. What's the diff and is it better for our Sportster? Good for my cars??

Haha! I'm with you on the winter riding. Down here in GA winter isn't really winter though. A lot of us use it for its extra wear protection in a high stress environment like a marine engine. Could you use regular oil? Probably. I just spring for the diesel oil because its close enough to the same price. 

Thanks for the replies, put 15w40 in and ran it for 45 mins. Didn't notice significant drop, can't see the leak yet. Will monitor and keep checking.