Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Big boy wakeboard

DarkSide

So as most of you know I predominantly surf, however occasionally when the water is perfectly flat I ride a wakeboard, very poorly!  

I think one major issue is the board is too small for my weight, (275) Ronix District 143,  so I am contemplating buying a bigger board.  I don't want to drop huge money as my ability is very low and not my primary sport.  So what do y'all recommend?

I saw a nomad slingshot in a 160, this seems a much better fit.  What other options would be good?

I started off riding a 136 and I am 200lb. A smaller board makes it harder to get up and might make you more tired. However, ultimately it is perfectly fine to ride and learn on. I have the 143 District right now and I am glad I switched to a bigger board. The 136 is currently the community board and has had people successfully ride on it from 100 to 250 lbs. I have gone back to the old board just to feel it and it is just fine. 

If it's not a main sport for you and you want to save money, stay with what you got.

If you just want a new toy and have the money, I'm sure someone else will chime in with some good options!

I see you are in AZ as well and a surfer. I hope your not one of the 10 boats on Lake Pleasant that is chopping up everyone's water by surfing dead center of the lake and/or coves!

EDIT: I also wanted to add that the District is actually wide compared to most other boards, so it's meant for heavier riders than other 143's would be.

Edited by timelinex

I ride the Ronix One Time Bomb 142. I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. A little lighter. But I love the board. My understanding when I bought that board was that it was a good board for heavier riders as it is more buoyant. It gives lots of extra pop too, however seeing as we both ride behind MXZ's pop shouldn't really be an issue. I bought this board after being out of the sport for a lot of years. It will likely exceed what I'll ever be capable of pulling off behind the boat.

The LF Trip 146 would be an affordable option. I was able to pick up the 2015 with bindings for $224 from Evo.

http://www.evo.com/wakeboards/liquid-force-trip-wakeboard.aspx 

Rider Weight (Lbs)Board Length (cm)

25-70 111-118

40-85 118-130

65-110 124-134

70-130 130-138

100-170 134-142

150-225 138-146

170-250+ 142-146

200-275+ 146

• Like 2

I got a NOMAD 160 2015 model for a pretty good deal. It is SOOOO much easier to ride. I'm 45 and my invert days are over but I still do W2W 360's and this board while spins a little different, didn't hinder me much at all. I don't ride all that often anymore so didn't want to spend 350+ for a new board so that older model nomad was the ticket. Sending PM for purchase info.

7 minutes ago, soonerbilly said:

I got a NOMAD 160 2015 model for a pretty good deal. It is SOOOO much easier to ride. I'm 45 and my invert days are over but I still do W2W 360's and this board while spins a little different, didn't hinder me much at all. I don't ride all that often anymore so didn't want to spend 350+ for a new board so that older model nomad was the ticket. Sending PM for purchase info.

I love my 160 nomad. I think that wakeboards are supposed to be longer. I ride a 163 snowboard, so it seems more fitting to me.

@Kalamazoo has one too and has been enjoying it.

I rented a Murray 150 locally this afternoon, I will see if the extra 3 inches makes a significant difference.  If it does then I can pursue new board optionso, if it doesn't I am only down $20.  No downside!  If wakeboards are anything like surfboards 3" can make a HUGE difference.  

@timelinex never go to pleasant,  I am on far east side.  I do however wreak havoc on the main Bay at Saguaro at sunrise on a regular basis.  I save the back for the wakeboard peeps.  On weekends I go all the way to Roosevelt.

Edited by DarkSide
14 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I rented a Murray 150 locally this afternoon, I will see if the extra 3 inches makes a significant difference.  If it does then I can pursue new board optionso, if it doesn't I am only down $20.  No downside!  If wakeboards are anything like surfboards 3" can make a HUGE difference.  

@timelinex never go to pleasant,  I am on far east side.  I do however wreak havoc on the main Bay at Saguaro at sunrise on a regular basis.  I save the back for the wakeboard peeps.  On weekends I go all the way to Roosevelt.

Where are you able rent boards locally????

On 8/5/2016 at 2:25 PM, Raimie said:

I love my 160 nomad. I think that wakeboards are supposed to be longer. I ride a 163 snowboard, so it seems more fitting to me.

@Kalamazoo has one too and has been enjoying it.

Yup. I'm admittedly not anything close to an expert rider. I'd go novice honestly...that said it's a ton of fun, smooth, still able to get air and it lands softly. worth checking out.

On 8/5/2016 at 10:43 AM, DarkSide said:

So as most of you know I predominantly surf, however occasionally when the water is perfectly flat I ride a wakeboard, very poorly!  

I think one major issue is the board is too small for my weight, (275) Ronix District 143,  so I am contemplating buying a bigger board.  I don't want to drop huge money as my ability is very low and not my primary sport.  So what do y'all recommend?

I saw a nomad slingshot in a 160, this seems a much better fit.  What other options would be good?

Darkside, there is a Phase 5 Rio for $200 at Beachcombers in Lake Havasu City. I have been there twice contemplating buying it, but it is the largest version and for heavier riders. This is a phenomenal deal considering that it retails for more than $800. Also, they are pushing to sell all their boards and giving 20-50 percent off. If you have the time, take a drive there and check it out. We have bought a couple of boards from them in the last couple of weeks. 

Very interested to hear about the Demo board. I thought about buying a Murray just because of the larger version, I ride a LF Witness 144, and it seems to do well, but at 250lbs I always think about sizing up. 

First I am probably the last person to write a comprehensive review of any wakeboard.  I SUCK AT WAKEBOARDING.  

With that said the Murray 150 was significantly easier to ride.  I didn't ride it that much,  but it seamed much more forgiving than the smaller ronix.   

One of the other people I was out with this weekend also really liked it theyet normally ride a 137 and the extra length and forgiveness helped them achieve thier surface 360's with much more ease, wake to wake was easier also.  They are buying this board.   I probably will not (yet) but will likely rent one more time on a long weekend, I want to adjust stance width and try again before committing.

• Like 1

Sorry Darkside...I didn't even notice that you said WAKEBOARD. I thought that was dead and just assumed surfing. God's not dead and I guess neither is wakeboarding.

• 3 weeks later...
On August 5, 2016 at 0:43 PM, DarkSide said:

Hyperlite Murray 150. I ride this board and love it. 

On 8/5/2016 at 0:43 PM, DarkSide said:

I'm a very petite 6'. 230 pounde. LOL! I love my Slingshot Nomad 160.