Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rear 'TailLight' Vents tearing up our ropes

timelinex

The emblem on the vents in the back have been a magnet for the rope (while picking up the rider) and a few times a day the rope gets caught on it and starts tearing up. 

I've been thinking about putting a block of foam on it or something but it would be a terrible eyesore.

Has anyone solved this problem in a decently looking way?

vent_zps207m5wjy.jpg

My 04 has never done this.  Is the rope getting caught between the mesh and the polished flat metal.  Is there currently a gap between the mesh and the outer metal?

Could you take off the vent and epoxy the mesh to that flat piece so nothing could get between them? 

I've got the same boat and never had a rope get caught on those vents, weird. I would work on something for the rope before doing anything to the boat, maybe a section of noodle on the rope?

BTW, that's where you engine compartment vents when you run the blower so I would not cover them up.

Yes, the mesh is not attached to the steel piece. Maybe it was pressed in at one time. I wonder if that's the issue. Maybe I will try to get the mesh glued back onto the steel piece.

A bit off topic as far as ropes are concerned, but those vents are a big opening that suck in water when I weight down heavily for surfing. Especially when turning around to pick up a downed rider. I have been wanting to come up with some  deflector devices similar to the carbon fiber vent covers that centurion uses  image_14.png

Edited by isellacuras