Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Board - Small Wave

Joeprunc

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking for a board for a smaller wake as well. I have since sold the smaller wave boat on upgraded to a Mondo. That being said, i talked to a number of people and or surf shops and they all suggested the Ronix powertail. So i bought one.. haven't tried it yet as we have ice on the lakes now, but supposedly its a good board for a smaller wake. 

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's about boards, but...A better wake (for my 2000 LXI) makes a better board.  

I have only used one (Swell).  I figured a bit of a difference on it and was very surprised at how much positive impact it makes on the wave.   I am very pleased with the construction and suction cups on it.  I just googled and they are on sale now for $199+ from Swell.     

• 2 weeks later...

Our last (2005 Nautique SV211) boat didnt put up a big wave, but we were able to surf easily without the rope.  I bought this board:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/wakesurf-boards/liquid-force-super-tramp-board

It was great, didnt need a big wake, and was easy to swap fins for different riding styles and skill levels.  Small fins were great for me, easy to get it sliding around and spinning.  Put in some big fins and it was driving through the water.  @mayfike I agree with you, a bigger wake makes every board better.  I ended up with two Swell devices at a time, one just in front and above the other, worth giving it a shot to see if could help you.  two of them didnt make the wake much bigger, but it did seem to have more push to it.  A good friend was riding with us he is a big guy (6'4" 240), he could not stay in the pocket with just one, when we hooked the second one on he was able to stay with the boat.

• 1 month later...

Starting the search for a new board to go with my small wave. 

Any new recommendations? Thinking something used or a few years old, don't want to spend more than ~$500 on a board

This video will give you an idea on the size of the wave my SS lxi makes (I didn't have the suck gate made prior to the video so that will help with the wave a little)

@asp13  Happy Pill was a lot of fun to ride. I got a turn on one last summer.  I ended up buying the Doomswell El Jefe this year even though i have a bigger wave.  The Doomswell guy at the atlanta boat show said it would be great for larger people and even on smaller waves.  i havent tried it yet though.

• 2 months later...

I was approached by a guy with a 2013 Ronix Koal Fish 5'6" who's interested in trading for my 2014 4'8" Liquid force sixer.

Any reviews on the 5'6" Koal Fish? Would this be a board I could go ropeless on a small wave with?

Did the trade yesterday. Board looks to be in great shape, its a lot bigger and wider so I'm really excited to get out and try surfing with the 5'6" Koal Fish. I also made a suck gate so that should clean up the wave. Now all I need is the ice to come off!

I have a 2015 response TXI.  Has the wedge too. Same here  looking for extra stuff to do when body is exhausted after barefooting, slalom, etc.....

glad someone posted this topic  

On another forum.   2 guys both gave responses as well with wedges.   They’re advice to me:  800lb ballast bag in rear corner. 150lb ballast bag in ski locker.  Put wedge down. Wake shaper like a ronix on one side of boat.  They said phase 5 Kong board, inland surf blue lake, something big that everyone can ride.  All equals surf without rope.   

Might do 800lb ballast, ronix wake shaper, just trying to decide on a board..... So many boards  

Then Do 150lb in ski locker if I have to.  

Edited by moski
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

With several friends with other boats that throw much better wakes, we generally surf behind those boats.  But when I do surf behind the RLXI I put the wedge down, this in the rear ski locker https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html , one of these where the rear seat goes https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-v-drive-surf-sac.html and a Fat Sac Brick in the front bow.  Suck gate on reversed, and a cover over the rear vent/gas breather tube cause water goes everywhere.

Still use the Ronix Powertail, seems to be a board that almost anyone can ride.  Most people go ropeless, but the sweet spot is quite small.

Need to be very gradual coming off the throttle as to not take water over the transom or bow.

Then 3 days to dry boat out, as A LOT of water ends up everywhere.

sorry no pictures, the wave sucks compared to a V drive, but allows for additional fun after skiing.

Edited by Joeprunc