Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Joeprunc

Wakesurf Board - Small Wave

Recommended Posts

Joeprunc

I'm getting a tower put on my Response LXI, and will have a bit of desire to attempt to wakesurf behind it.  I know the wave will be small as hell.

I looked through many threads for boards, and am trying to land on one to buy.  

Was looking at the carbon Ronix Powertail 4'-11".  I figured the larger volume will help provide a fun fast ride, but curious of going with the 4'-11" being too big for someone who weighs 160 lbs.

Will this be a good decision?  Or do you recommend another board.  I like the surf board feeling and am decent to good at surfing in the ocean.

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

We've found the CWB Ride to be a good beginner board and it worked well when we only had one 750 rear bag and no gates (small wake).  I still use it once in a while and am riding it in my profile picture.  Under $300 with a rope.  CWB VooDoo also good.

Surface area, shape, camber, and fins are more important than volume.  None of the boards are buoyant enough to support a person.

Edited by minnmarker

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

Power tail might be ok, but I think the Ronix Koal fish would be a good choice. 

Edited by teamerickson

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker
8 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Power tail might be ok, but I think the Ronix Koal fish would be a good choice. 

Agreed, Koal Fish is a great board. I have one. But it is more expensive and not really a beginner board.

Share this post


Link to post
teamerickson

Yeah, the Koal is a little harder but it's fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Joeprunc

I guess I really wouldn't consider myself a beginner surfer, but I guess wake surfing must be different than surfing.   Volume is one of the major things that you look at when buying a board for the ocean, as paddling is a huge factor.  When getting tugged in that doesn't matter as much.  But I would still think with a weak wave, volume would matter more than surface area.  I would think surface area would affect the handling and stability of a board.  I still wish I lived at the beach....I've got a garage full of those boards.

As far as durability, I don't want traditional fiberglass, Epoxy or some other composite would be my choice.  What other constructions are super durable?

Joe%20Manhatten%20Beach_zpstwdpqzfv.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
minnmarker

If that's you then you'll have no problem with the Koal!  You'll probably get bored behind a boat to be honest.  Unlike ocean boards that hold you up when paddling or not moving, wake surf boards are never motionless when underfoot, so buoyancy really does not matter at all.  Lightness does though - just like ocean boards - since they can be maneuvered more quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

As crazy as it seems, volume doesn't mean a lot.  I can hold my victoria factor skim under water like a wakeskate no prob.  But it's real fast.

On a small wave I think I'd prefer a skimmer to a surfboard anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Badger

I'm questioning your abilities if you couldn't ride that out in the picture:biggrin:

Half-seriously, you should stick to slalom behind that Response and spend your surfing time driving to the ocean!  Sorry, I'm no help on the board choice, but I am jealous of the photo.  My Costa Rica surf trip has me itching for more ocean surfing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Joeprunc
1 hour ago, Badger said:

I'm questioning your abilities if you couldn't ride that out in the picture:biggrin:

Half-seriously, you should stick to slalom behind that Response and spend your surfing time driving to the ocean!  Sorry, I'm no help on the board choice, but I am jealous of the photo.  My Costa Rica surf trip has me itching for more ocean surfing. 

The tail got away from me on that one...I have the sequence somewhere.

I plan on skiing my hearts content, but sometimes its fun to make sure everyone on the boat is having a good time....I found a 4'-5" 2015 Powertail blem for $400.  If it doesn't work behind my boat, at least I can share it when I'm on other wake boats.  I ordered some crap from Amazon too to try to make a suck gate too.

Share this post


Link to post
malibu03lxi

I have a slingshot (skim board)  and a inland surfer (surf style), both work pretty well behind my Response LXI.   

Share this post


Link to post
Joeprunc

Well I was able to wake surf the 4'-5" Ronix Powertail for a good two minutes ropeless, all my friends have skim style boards.  Being a surfer I really really like the feeling of this Powertail, you were able to generate speed off the tail and fins much like surfing small waves.  Setup: Response LXI, with 3 people, a wedge, 1/4 tank of gas, 350 lbs of ballast, and a suck gate...(granted I weigh 160 lbs).  But with that suck gate partially out of the water, boy did it spray everywhere.

B4DBEE19-D205-4D52-8AA7-0438DD55FC7B_zps

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Porkfight

Not bad for an LXi! Kinda makes me want to find a wedge for mine, just to screw around when we can't physically ski another set.

Share this post


Link to post
itznowonder

weight the gate side to submerge it better, let me know how that works, it seems to make my wake better than weighting the surf side

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On August 4, 2016 at 6:06 PM, Joeprunc said:

I'm getting a tower put on my Response LXI, and will have a bit of desire to attempt to wakesurf behind it.  I know the wave will be small as hell.

I looked through many threads for boards, and am trying to land on one to buy.  

Was looking at the carbon Ronix Powertail 4'-11".  I figured the larger volume will help provide a fun fast ride, but curious of going with the 4'-11" being too big for someone who weighs 160 lbs.

Will this be a good decision?  Or do you recommend another board.  I like the surf board feeling and am decent to good at surfing in the ocean.

For a small wave I really recommend the Liquid Force happy pill that comes in 4 sizes, I ride a 4'10" they no longer make, you'll be fine on the 3 shorter models , why happy pill , cause you said small wave and nothing finds the wave for you as easily as the pill, guaranteed to put a smile on your face.  Get ready with the epoxy though, she's a little surface fragile, but actually not structurally fragile, I have broken that board internally in the nose across the board by falling on it in boat and recently in its most recent big contact with the swim platform when falling broke the board internally down the center almost the length of board and it still shreds and is structurally sound.  it had an accident when it was New that damaged my interior, my fault,  but it also sort of damaged the molded fin bed where fins anchor .  I dry it each week in sun to get the water out where it invaded by fin area.  No water swollen spots yet , it ta licken and keeps on tickin

 

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Joeprunc
4 hours ago, Porkfight said:

Not bad for an LXi! Kinda makes me want to find a wedge for mine, just to screw around when we can't physically ski another set.

That is exactly what I was thinking when I started this little project...if you look closely that's a ski handle, I just added the -15' off line that I've always just thrown away.

Share this post


Link to post
asp13

Bumping this old thread.

I have an 01 Sunsetter lxi, makes an Ok wave but not very big or very much push. We surf with a Liquid Force Chase Sixer 4'8" (56") but we aren't able to go ropeless. Was hoping a different board would allow us to.  I am also going to make a suck gate which should help the shape a little. 

Any other boards to look for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Larry94

You need a longer board , I had a Obrien Nalu 5'6 with a suck gate with my direct drive and I was going ropeless easily. I surfed with a 750 on the back bench , 2 350's on each side of the engine. I also putted 3 bags of sand (66 pounds) in the back locker. You really need a suckgate tho 

Share this post


Link to post
wilster
1 hour ago, asp13 said:

Bumping this old thread.

I have an 01 Sunsetter lxi, makes an Ok wave but not very big or very much push. We surf with a Liquid Force Chase Sixer 4'8" (56") but we aren't able to go ropeless. Was hoping a different board would allow us to.  I am also going to make a suck gate which should help the shape a little. 

Any other boards to look for? 

i'm not convinced longer is better for smaller waves, i have the same chase board and it is not a good small wave board.  i would try a "fast" board that is a little narrower and that pushes easily, like a ronix thruster and i think hyperlite makes a similar version.  

Share this post


Link to post
kerpluxal
1 hour ago, wilster said:

i'm not convinced longer is better for smaller waves, i have the same chase board and it is not a good small wave board.  i would try a "fast" board that is a little narrower and that pushes easily, like a ronix thruster and i think hyperlite makes a similar version.  

What are you running for ballast? I had an LX and was able to get a very good wave out of it... I will have to agree with @wilster that a fast board would be better, look at skims as well

Share this post


Link to post
Imracin68j

Ronix Thruster:  Best board I've tried yet.  Twin Fin.  Fast, loose and keeps up easy. Pick up the blank white ones for huge savings.  I got mine for $300 with no graphics, just Ronix logo. Looks better anyway.

Byerly Speedster:  My first board.  Great for beginners and new people you want to teach to surf.  Easy to keep up.  3 fins

Ronix Graphite:  The sickest looking board I've ever seen. SUPER light and murdered out black.  Was a blast to ride.  Serious rips off the top of the wake, but I couldn't keep up.  I think the max weight is 190lbs.

Ronix Blender: I just picked one up.  Steep price at $850 but I'm hoping it's worth it.  Probably going to try single fin, maybe 2

Real Surfboard.  I use to think they wouldn't be good until I saw a surf team trying wake surfing for the first time doing stuff I didn't think was possible.  Serious speed.  I'll include the link.  
 


 

Edited by Imracin68j

Share this post


Link to post
AJwakedevil

shouldn't this be in the watersports and gear forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Ronnie
15 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

shouldn't this be in the watersports and gear forum?

Yep...

Share this post


Link to post
asp13

Would a Phase 5 Oogle be a good board for a smaller wake? Everything I have read points to it being a good board for the whole family and the more 'long board' shape help with with a smaller wake. Anyone on here ridden one that can comment?

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...