Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel pump 556014 retrofit?????

So I had trouble starting yesterday so I changed filters and cleaned inlet screen but still only getting 10 psi at fuel rail and engine is dying if it starts.   The fuel pump is no longer available, looks like a couple weeks until available.   I've seen picture of retro on bakes but there isn't a fitting for return line. Are they eliminating the return all together or adding a y fitting?   I've found info that suggest a carter p50000 will be same pressure and if I eliminate the return I can be back on water for 100$?  I assume I would just plug the line that goes from bracket to pump and the return would just go to tank?  I understand return is to prevent vapor lock.   Is there anything else I can check that could increase pressure?  Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Shastasurf
Uhhh

Unless there's a blockage in the tank pickup I say go for it with the Carter!  Summer only lasts so long and waiting 6 weeks for a fuel pump is wasted time.  Just keep your nose alert for that gas smell.

1 minute ago, Shastasurf said:

Inlet seems to be clear. I can blow air into tank freely?

Yep.  Take the gas cap off and you should be able to blow freely into the tank.  Don't inhale.  Do not use an air compressor.  Use good hose clamps and brass adapters if you have to adapt to different hose sizes.

Also suggest you replace the Carter with the Marine version as soon as it's available.

I ordered carter p5000 and I'm going to give it a try.   I'm going to plug the return to pump on bracket. Anyone see any reason this won't work?

Edited by Shastasurf

Well, I got a 7/16 x 24ns fitting plug at hose and fittings, etc in West Sacramento and the fuel pump carter p5000 from summit racing. The boat fired right up and the psi on the fuel rail is exact to spec. I've just run it on the fake a lake so I'm excited to go to the lake! 

Edited by Shastasurf
  • Like 2

Lake was great today, boat ran all day, that pump seems to work as good as original and the return going straight to tank didn't appear to cause any problems.