Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Time to pick out my new boat!

Tboomer

Hey Guys,

Its time to start shopping for a new boat :) now where to start!

We currently have a 2008 VTX which has been an amazing boat, and would consider getting a new VTX... but Ive heard not so great things about the 2016 Model as far as the ski and surf wake go. We mainly Slalom Ski and Surf which puts us in a tough spot for choosing a boat. Ive tried the Sport 200, skied amazing, but surfing... not so much. For 2017 Nautique is apparently coming out with the best crossover you have ever laid your eyes on. Rumor is it will rival the G21 for surfing and maintain the ski-ability of the old Sport 200 (Sounds too good to be true right? But for the Price of a Nautiuqe is it really too much to ask for???)

Ive also thought about the new 21Vlx... haven't seen or heard any reviews yet but perhaps it would ski alright with a diamond hull option? Has anyone skied the 22vlx with any success?

I consider myself loyal to the Malibu brand, they make an outstanding product, but it needs to be the absolute best boat for the job so id like to hear the inputs of some other folks who are serious skiers & recreational surfers.

There isn't a ton of info out on 2017 Models, give it a few weeks if you are looking at 2017's as they are just now starting to show up to dealers. I am sure the diehards on here will try to get a demo pull on a 2017 ASAP. Check out this thread for known info on what is coming down the pipe this year. 

If you are thinking 2016, you can probably find some good deals out there on leftover models.  I think this may be the correct mindset if you are looking for the best of both worlds. Then again, you will quickly learn how the Crew likes to encourage spending money... 

1 hour ago, Gavin17 said:

It's ok to have 2 boats.  Plenty of low hour slalom only rigs out there then go gangbusters on whatever surf boat you want.  

11 hours ago, CumminsBu said:

Should save your money give up surfing and stick to skiing. I see a TXi in your future.

I remember skiing.  I think we did that back in the 70's.   :rofl:

12 hours ago, CumminsBu said:

Should save your money give up surfing and stick to skiing. I see a TXi in your future.

1 hour ago, malibudog said:

I remember skiing.  I think we did that back in the 70's.   :rofl:

Meet in the middle, drop skiing, drop surfing and just stick to wakeboarding!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

It's ok to have 2 boats.  Plenty of low hour slalom only rigs out there then go gangbusters on whatever surf boat you want.  

Everybody will think you are nuts.  Probably your spouse too. 

I vote for two boats too. It's too hard to meet in the middle. The only reason for a bigger boat is Foiling, Wakeboarding is so 90s.

• Like 2

2 boats has always been the answer in my mind!... But you nailed it, the spouse said she will castrate me! So I compromised... and will be getting a crossover lol Do people really ski that little these days? The sport is making a huge comeback up in my neck of the woods, wakeboard sales tanked and ski sales are through the roof

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Tboomer said:

2 boats has always been the answer in my mind!... But you nailed it, the spouse said she will castrate me! So I compromised... and will be getting a crossover lol Do people really ski that little these days? The sport is making a huge comeback up in my neck of the woods, wakeboard sales tanked and ski sales are through the roof

Technically I don't have two boats but our ski club has a Prostar and my father in law has a Ski Nautique.  If he ever want's to sell the Nautique I'd buy it.  They're so cheap compared to modern surf boats and direct drive maintenance is low.  Storage is really the only issue.  

Typically we ski during the week before and after work and wakeboard/ party on the weekends on our 23 LSV.  It's a rough life. 

Just now, Gavin17 said:

Technically I don't have two boats but our ski club has a Prostar and my father in law has a Ski Nautique.  If he ever want's to sell the Nautique I'd buy it.  They're so cheap compared to modern surf boats and direct drive maintenance is low.  Storage is really the only issue.  

Typically we ski during the week before and after work and wakeboard/ party on the weekends on our 23 LSV.  It's a rough life. 

Sounds like my situation exactly! There is a ski club near by with a ski 200... There is a 2 year waiting list to get in, but if I could that would solve one big issue seeing that I am the only person in my family who is a serious skier

And I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that with a 27" draft, and a dry weight of 4,500 that it's not going to be that great of a ski boat.  Just a hunch.

A VTX like you have is probably the best thing for you. You could get a newer one on the same hull if you are looking for the newer features and surfgate. 

Nothing is going to ski and surf equally well. There's going to be some compromise on the ski wake or surf wave you just have to decide which is more important to you. The beauty of skiing is you can get a good closed bow slalom boat for 5-10k. 

ahopkins22LSV

I skied a 2015 vtx last fall and it skied very good for a v-drive. I'd look in that direction personally. Although as mentioned the TXi throws a pretty decent intermediate wake for boarders with a power (2012 models only I think) or floating wedge and some extra ballast.

Here are some videos of the 2015 ski set:

36mph 15 off: 

36mph 22 off: 

• Like 2

We fill the front tank on our 2011, makes a big difference. More spray, so annoying if you ski through a return to the course, but definitely softens the wake noticeably. Also adjusted the wedge so it retracts a little more than what they say ithat should, but that makes a difference too, less rooster with the tip of the wedge not hitting the water.

3 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I skied a 2015 vtx last fall and it skied very good for a v-drive. I'd look in that direction personally. Although as mentioned the TXi throws a pretty decent intermediate wake for boarders with a power (2012 models only I think) or floating wedge and some extra ballast.

Here are some videos of the 2015 ski set:

36mph 15 off: 

36mph 22 off: 

Looks very similar to our 2008, probably a bit smaller, but couldn't ask for much more out of a v-drive