Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME

knuthein

Hi guys,

we need to reprop our boat. We go wakeboarding & surfing only. I know there was your group buy thread, but it is hard figure out who has the hh.

Any advice???

Thanks

Hi guys,

we need to reprop our boat. We go wakeboarding & surfing only. I know there was your group buy thread, but it is hard figure out who has the hh.

Any advice???

Thanks

Heck it's hard enough to figure out which state TMC members live in. Crazy.gif

Ought to be a law or something.

We do not know yet how much ballast we will put. it is a new boat, so we are not that sure yet about the ballast configuration. What we know is that the stock prop is just too poot. Called up acme. They recommended 1235 and which we bought.

Thanks

The only problem is that there have been reports of some people having cavitation problems with the 1235, so watch for that. I've got a 537 that we use when we know that we'll have a lot of people in the boat & it works good under heavy load circumstances (when I remember to put it on that is :)). I run the 381 most of the time though.

How to prop your ride

I would have to agree with WG. the 537 would have worked great for you boat. I haven't heard of Bu's having the cavitation problem but do keep an eye on the prop to trailer distance with the 1235. Just remember if you don't like how the 1235 performs with in the first 30 days you can send it back for a different prop.

man, you make me nervous. Wakegirl what is your cruising speed right below WOT with the 537. This would be interesting.

Which prop is better for holding speed? 1235 or 537? This is nother major issue. Unfortunately we only took only the malibu cruise system and not pp. It is not ajustable. So we thought if you get the engine more power through the prop might react faster.

man, you make me nervous. Wakegirl what is your cruising speed right below WOT with the 537. This would be interesting.

Which prop is better for holding speed? 1235 or 537? This is nother major issue. Unfortunately we only took only the malibu cruise system and not pp. It is not ajustable. So we thought if you get the engine more power through the prop might react faster.

With the 537 it's about 42, with the 381 it's about 47 (that's measured by gps, the speedo isn't accurate at all at WOT - I think it reads 53 :lol:). The problem that we were having with the 537 is that the HH has so much power that with just our family in the boat it would spin the prop when you hammer it & hit the rev limiter from about 35 mph on up. The 381 was a good compromise for how we use the boat when it's just us. When we have friends with us, it's a different deal & the 537 would work a lot better.

I would guess that the 2 props are going to perform similarly, although the 1235 might do just a little better. Give the 1235 a try, it may be just what you're looking for. If not, you can always return it & get the 537 as D-GOOSE suggested. He did bring up a good point on the clearance. The 1235 is a bigger prop & you want to watch the clearance on the trailer. Let us know what you think, I'd be curious to hear what someone with that boat/engine combo thinks about that prop.

So, along with all of this, I was considering repropping with the 1235 as well. I currently use the 537, but would like to get a stronger hole shot and get on plane faster with ballast and wedge down. I *rarely* run WOT and generally do not exceed more than 35 or 40 mph in my boat, so giving up top end speed is not an issue with me. Do you think going to the 1235 would make a difference over the 537? It's usually just 2 -4 adults and a couple of kids on board.

I'd wait for the OP's opinion on that. I have no experience with the 1235. One thing that we fight with this boat is the bowrise & propping it probably won't eliminate it, just make it a little less pronounced by getting the boat to the speed that it wants to plane out at quicker.

You've got the Monsoon, right?

We put a 1235 on our '06 VLX and are loving it! The stock prop just wasn't doing very good with extra ballast and lots of people. We haven't had any problems, have a better hole shot, turn less RPMS at boarding speeds and it holds in corners much better than it used to!

Love it!

I'd wait for the OP's opinion on that. I have no experience with the 1235. One thing that we fight with this boat is the bowrise & propping it probably won't eliminate it, just make it a little less pronounced by getting the boat to the speed that it wants to plane out at quicker.

You've got the Monsoon, right?

I've got the HH in mine.

It is shipped. I am out of country though. We will have a try latest on the 17th.

Ill let you know. jshap let me know you ballast configuration. We will try it out and tell you it this is really good or not. This may help you. We haven't tried the 537 though

So, along with all of this, I was considering repropping with the 1235 as well. I currently use the 537, but would like to get a stronger hole shot and get on plane faster with ballast and wedge down. I *rarely* run WOT and generally do not exceed more than 35 or 40 mph in my boat, so giving up top end speed is not an issue with me. Do you think going to the 1235 would make a difference over the 537? It's usually just 2 -4 adults and a couple of kids on board.

So, it turns out I actually have the 857 :blush: , which I was told is the stock prop on the '05 VLX. Can anyone confirm this? If so, I think I may try out the 1235 either way. When I'm fully loaded with stock MLS and 3 or 4 adults, my boats struggles a bit to get up on plane and to speed. My friends boat has the Monsoon and the 537 and he HAMMERS out of the hole a helluva lot faster than mine.

That can't be right. First off, I've never heard of an 857 coming on our boats from the factory, with any engine. Secondly, when compared with a 537/Monsoon setup, you should have a lot more hole shot, not less. Something isn't right here. Are you positive that it's an 857 & not an 817? The 2 props that the VLX typically comes equipped with from the factory are either the 381 or the 537.

You're right. I just jumped in and looked at the prop. It's an 817. The spare on my boat is a 537. I would imagine that a 13.5 x 17, .150 cup prop should have a MUCH bigger hole shot than a Monsoon with a 537. I would imagine with the stats on the 817 that going to a 1235 isn't going to make much difference either.

Edited by jshap

Have you read this thread?

LINK

An 817 has the same diameter & pitch as a 381, but with even more cup it will act like a bigger prop = less hole shot. So the progression in terms of hole shot (less to more) would go: 817 -> 381 -> 537 -> 857 (I'm not sure where the 1235 would fall in there, I suspect in between the 537 & 857). Anyway, you're waaaaaaay over-propped. So a 537 would do you nicely.

I don't know why Malibu is putting an 817 on a wakeboard boat, even with the Hammerhead. Having driven tgaugh's, it's a slug out of the hole & that's not what we want or need out of these boats.

Having driven tgaugh's, it's a slug out of the hole & that's not what we want or need out of these boats.

Can we clarify please...I like this better:

Having driven tgaugh's, while propped incorrectly, it's a slug out of the hole & that's not what we want or need out of these boats.

Having driven tgaugh's, it's a slug out of the hole & that's not what we want or need out of these boats.

Can we clarify please...I like this better:

Having driven tgaugh's, while propped incorrectly, it's a slug out of the hole & that's not what we want or need out of these boats.

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif A bit sensitive aren't we?