Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Very hot manifolds and strong exhaust smell.

Patrice Forest

I have a 2007 VLX with cats (Moonson 5.7l) and the manifolds are very hot. Definitively can't touch them. Engine temperature read 164 degrees and run smooth.

Very strong exhaust smell. Like no other boat of the kind. Dealer sais all is good. Replaced the O2 sensors and water impeller just to be sure. Fuel pressure is also perfect. No fault codes.

I have ordered a FAE, but i am concerned with how hot the monifolds are.

I'm unfamiliar with any marine engine with cats but my understanding of the catalytic system is to utilize the heat of the exhaust to convert gases...I presume that the water from the exhaust is injected downstream of this process...hopefully an expert here can clear it up.

@Patrice Forest:  My suggestion would be to use a hand held laser pyrometer (you can find them for ~$20 at Home Depot/Sams. etc.) and get some actual data, send a note to Indmar asking the question if your temps are normal or acceptable.  You can check several spots to see any variation.  If you hand is not calibrated, hard to know what actual temperature you are seeing.  Cats do tend to run hotter than non Cat manifolds, cast iron runs hotter than aluminum so there are variations due to type of exhaust manifold.  Some questions, has the exhaust noise level remained constant over time, do you see water coming from both exhaust tips when running & is it same amount from each?