Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead vs 320 LCR

andyb

Sarah's 2006 320LCR with fly by wire throttle is really nice to drive. I'm a little confused by the latest PP screen but time will fix that. Anyway, you just have to find out how well the Hammy goes and whether it was worth spending the extra pinger.

Sarah floors her throttle and we follow suit, launching over her wake from behind and then ROGER the 320 within 150 yards, opening up a lead by the end of the slalom course of about 100 feet. That was fun, huh, let's do it again.

Both boats calibrated on the same course, we indicated 82.9km/h - the LCR Response 76.5km/h.

Yup the expense was worth it. Hoon. Biggrin.gif

Sarah floors her throttle and we follow suit, launching over her wake from behind and then ROGER the 320 within 150 yards, opening up a lead by the end of the slalom course of about 100 feet.

Are you saying Sarah had a head start or you hit the throttle at the same time?

we have all engines (Bu's in NZ are made in aus id say) except the 8.1 as we dont have 247's, WS/SC 23's. we just dropped the 310 carbie last year for the now standard 320 LCR.

We can put merc-cruisers in bu's here. Malibu is the only aussie boat that has indmars (not many MC around) and everyone knows about merc engines and many consumers would rather merc's.

PCM's are becoming more popular as one of our larger boat makers are putting them in standard now, as well as nautiques of course.

Did you take note of the RPM differences in baselines at a speed in course...just curious?

Edited by Toby

Sarah floors her throttle and we follow suit, launching over her wake from behind and then ROGER the 320 within 150 yards, opening up a lead by the end of the slalom course of about 100 feet.

Are you saying Sarah had a head start or you hit the throttle at the same time?

I was wondering the same thing. I have heard that in a test between a monsoon and a hammerhead in an Rlxi, the monsoon beat the hammerhead out of the hole but after a certain distance, the hammerhead went ahead. I don't know if this would be true with the LCR 320, though.

I wanted to see some of the speed differential so started the Hammy from behind and a little after Sarah popped her Response out of the hole. The WHOLE LX left the water when we launched over her wake, only the prop (the DGoose assisted taller 13 x 13 nonetheless) and rudder remained to thrust the boat in the general direction. Thereafter, the 6 km/h difference made the outcome inevitable and hugely exciting (read: satisfying too).

Another time we'll note the baseline rpm's Toby. After all the new prop was bought for two reasons - to do the hoon thing and to save rpm/gas during normal operation.

Edited by andyb
we have all engines (Bu's in NZ are made in aus id say) except the 8.1 as we dont have 247's, WS/SC 23's. we just dropped the 310 carbie last year for the now standard 320 LCR.

We can put merc-cruisers in bu's here. Malibu is the only aussie boat that has indmars (not many MC around) and everyone knows about merc engines and many consumers would rather merc's.

PCM's are becoming more popular as one of our larger boat makers are putting them in standard now, as well as nautiques of course.

Did you take note of the RPM differences in baselines at a speed in course...just curious?

NZ Bu hulls are laid up in Aus and the whole thing is assembled out of parts dispatched from Merced - I've seen the other end and discussed with Mike Sanchez. Engines are crated and dispatched also. For the Response and LXi current options here are LCR, Monsoon & Hammerhead. No Mercruiser option in NZ. I don't know about the upholstery but can find out. It is exactly the same V high quality stitching that I saw in the California factory though (that was the final deciding factor when compared to both other competitors).

I'd believe that out of the old Hammerhead, but not out of the 383.

The test was on 2005 Rlxi's. Supposedly the Monsoon is extremely torquey on the low end and can beat anything out of the hole. When you get to higher rpm's, it can't compete with the hammerhead.

The test was on 2005 Rlxi's. Supposedly the Monsoon is extremely torquey on the low end and can beat anything out of the hole. When you get to higher rpm's, it can't compete with the hammerhead.

In my experience, I wouldn't put money on the Monsoon. The HH/LX combo with 13 x 12.625 prop was lethally quicker than my Monsoon everywhere. The 13 x 13 Acme has taken a smidgeon off the brutality factor but it is still full-on.

Interesting. Do you have a link to the story by chance?

No. This was something that our local dealer tried as a head to head "race" between the two different engines. It wasn't an official test or anything so take it for what it's worth.

YUP! 380 Hammehead = DOG! 383 Hammerhead is a stump puller, literally. :)

I did a head to head to test as well.....

05 VLX with 340 Monsoon vs. 05 LSV w/ 383 Hammerhead (rickmal). The LSV got me out of the hole and then pulled a boat length a way in about a 1/4 mile run.

The '05 VLX with Monsoon that I drove was noticeably weaker out of the hole vs. our '06. One thing that I did do was to verify the prop size, they were both the same from the factory so I thought that was a pretty good comparison. I think that many of these head to heads need to be taken with a grain of salt because the factory doesn't seem to be consistent about putting the same prop on each model/engine combination. If that isn't verified then you have no idea if you're comparing apples to apples. In Andy's case he does know what they are & it sounds like they handicapped the HH with both a bigger prop & late start, & the HH still won the day.

One other thing to keep in mind, I've seen it said that there can be up to a 15% variance off of claimed horsepower on these engines, either way. Break in & how the engine is treated has a lot to do with that, but how it's built (comes from the factory) can be as well. We didn't do the typical break in that Indmar normally recommends - per our dealer we were allowed to hammer it from day one, & we did. It runs hard now & I attribute at least some of that to the break in, or lack thereof that we did. YMMV of course. :)

The '05 VLX with Monsoon that I drove was noticeably weaker out of the hole vs. our '06. One thing that I did do was to verify the prop size, they were both the same from the factory so I thought that was a pretty good comparison. I think that many of these head to heads need to be taken with a grain of salt because the factory doesn't seem to be consistent about putting the same prop on each model/engine combination. If that isn't verified then you have no idea if you're comparing apples to apples. In Andy's case he does know what they are & it sounds like they handicapped the HH with both a bigger prop & late start, & the HH still won the day.

One other thing to keep in mind, I've seen it said that there can be up to a 15% variance off of claimed horsepower on these engines, either way. Break in & how the engine is treated has a lot to do with that, but how it's built (comes from the factory) can be as well. We didn't do the typical break in that Indmar normally recommends - per our dealer we were allowed to hammer it from day one, & we did. It runs hard now & I attribute at least some of that to the break in, or lack thereof that we did. YMMV of course. :)

All excellent points.

NZ Bu hulls are laid up in Aus and the whole thing is assembled out of parts dispatched from Merced - I've seen the other end and discussed with Mike Sanchez. Engines are crated and dispatched also. For the Response and LXi current options here are LCR, Monsoon & Hammerhead. No Mercruiser option in NZ. I don't know about the upholstery but can find out. It is exactly the same V high quality stitching that I saw in the California factory though (that was the final deciding factor when compared to both other competitors).

wow never would have picked that!