Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu VTX or Nautique Sport 200

cjtpilot

Ok guys I finally get to buy a new boat so I am looking at 2014-2016 Sport 200's and VTX's. I would like some feedback sales pitch or what ever you would call it in narrowing this down

First off I am going to Demo both boats (already demoed the Nautique)

Second while I understand the importance of the Dealer relationship because I am looking at existing stock to get the best deal I doubt I will be buying from my local dealer.

Last, Resale isn't even needed in this discussion because what ever I buy I will be keeping for 15-20+ yrs.

Ok here are the need to knows: I slalom and barefoot, wakeboard when I am tired with the kids. My boys wakeboard, and daughter well nothing yet so I am hoping to win her over to the slalom side.

Family of 5, the boat will either be trailered to the lake or kept at a slip (not sure which yet) anyway lake is 30-40min drive so when we go out it will be a day trip.

ahopkins22LSV

Did the sport 200 get up to your barefoot speed?

IMO the vtx provides way more versatility. It will surf much better and I'm going to assume it boards better. The up to 2015 vtx wake is very good for a vdrive skiing. I still haven't had a chance to get behind a 2016.

From what i remember the vtx has more storage and seating too. It's been a while since I've been in a sport 200 though. 

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

Did the sport 200 get up to your barefoot speed?

IMO the vtx provides way more versatility. It will surf much better and I'm going to assume it boards better. The up to 2015 vtx wake is very good for a vdrive skiing. I still haven't had a chance to get behind a 2016.

GPS speed was 43.4 mph, so yes it will get up to speed although I would like to have a little more top end. However that is also with stock prop.

I bought a '15 VTX last year and have similar priorities as you listed with the exception of barefooting. I ruled out the 200 because it didn't have a surf system.  Even though you don't list that now, you will. I'm more impressed with my slalom wake every time I ski behind a different boat. 

ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, cjtpilot said:

GPS speed was 43.4 mph, so yes it will get up to speed although I would like to have a little more top end. However that is also with stock prop.

What speed do you foot at? It may change with you behind it?

23 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

What speed do you foot at? It may change with you behind it?

My Comp I had before topped out about the same speed, and with a footer it would slow it down to 39ish.

I don't know the exact specs off hand, but I'm pretty sure the Nautique has less factory ballast, and it didn't seem like there was a lot of storage room in the rear for PNP when I looked at one.  I see the OP didn't mention surfing.  When I bought my first boat (2012 VTX) I had never surfed, and didn't really plan to.  I love to slalom.  I tried surfing a couple of times, and I eventually upgraded to a VTX with surfgate just because once I started to surf, I can't get enough.  Love it.  Surfgate is fantastic.  VTX all the way IMO.  

• Like 1
Just now, Sixer said:

I don't know the exact specs off hand, but I'm pretty sure the Nautique has less factory ballast, and it didn't seem like there was a lot of storage room in the rear for PNP when I looked at one.  I see the OP didn't mention surfing.  When I bought my first boat (2012 VTX) I had never surfed, and didn't really plan to.  I love to slalom.  I tried surfing a couple of times, and I eventually upgraded to a VTX with surfgate just because once I started to surf, I can't get enough.  Love it.  Surfgate is fantastic.  VTX all the way IMO.  

Correct ballast size is WAY more on the VTX, of course the wedge helps that a lot. The 200 can fit 500's or 750's in a PNP setup. I know surfgate should be a plus but I could care less about surfing, just not enough rush from that.

Dang, really?  Nobody else in the family interested either?  If not, then I guess I'd go with whatever you like the best on your test drives.  If maximum versatility isn't a must (including surfing) then hopefully one feels better to you than the other.  Well, that and price, but if they are similar price and you could surf if you wanted to, I'd go with the VTX unless you really like the 200 better.  Personally I wasn't a huge fan of the Nautique interior and dash, but that's probably because I'm used to Malibu and much more comfortable with their system.  

• Like 1

we have surfed behind a friends 23LSV and it is fun, but to me that's more of a this lake is so choppy I won't even tube so lets surf. lol

12 hours ago, cjtpilot said:

pilot, I'm not saying that speed is wrong, but the 200 is built on the SN200 hull and there are people out there who have had to upgrade engines who couldn't get up to slalom speed on private lakes with short setups.  I find that speed incredible, but if it hit that, great.  That's about what my old VTX would do (2013).  There's a video on youtube of a guy going from slalom to barefoot at 42.5 mph to wakesurf in 4 minutes that is pretty cool to show its versatility, but I know you said you didn't want to surf.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
  • Like 1

IDK how old you are but if your plans are to keep the boat 15-20 years I would still consider the versatility of the VTX. You may not like to surf now but as you get older injuries from the other disciplines can sideline you. surfing is the best way to be on the water with little impact.

• Like 2

VTX 2013 to 2015 for sure. I love mine. The 200 does not have surf system but check what's coming for Nautique for 2017 and compare. VTX will do slalom course and anything else you want it to do but will not do past 32 off due to tower. Not an issue for me any more.

Agree with everyone else.  Get the VTX with SurfGate.  You may not use or want it now, but you will in a few years.  Plus, for the time or two you will use it, it'll be worth it

If we never surfed, I would rather a Nautique.  The VTX does have a little more space, but I like the interior of the Nautique better.  I haven't spent any time behind the Nautique, but I always understood it ski'd a little better.  Better surfing is really the VTX trump card.  Even then, it would be hard to prop both surf and barefoot.  Hard enough to prop surf and slalom.

11 minutes ago, River Monsters said:

If we never surfed, I would rather a Nautique.  The VTX does have a little more space, but I like the interior of the Nautique better.  I haven't spent any time behind the Nautique, but I always understood it ski'd a little better.  Better surfing is really the VTX trump card.  Even then, it would be hard to prop both surf and barefoot.  Hard enough to prop surf and slalom.

I agree with you.   Always thought I wanted to upgrade from my iRide to a VTX.  At first, the electronics seemed "sketchy", then I didn't have any money (kids in college).  If I were to upgrade now I would probably pick the SN200 over the 2106 VTX because of the slalom performance (mostly what I want).  I heard that the new nautique 20 will give the SN200 the VTX treatment... more weight, deeper sides, etc

If you want ski the SN200 is the winner!  I hat to make all you surfers upset but from a slalom guy surfing is boring! At 65 years young I just don't see the need to do anything else. I don't need to ride all day just give me an hour of 35 off @ 36mph and I am :yahoo::biggrin:!!!!!  But if you enjoy a day on the lake I might go VTX.  The one thing I have herd many times is the SN200 does like fuel! More then most ski tugs. But I have not looked into it after the first few years. Might be SN has worked out proping better. The firs year people thought it was at it end for bare-footing.   It was just getting to speeds people needed. 

Go hardcore ski boat, no VTX, no sport anything!  You won't be happy with a ship, I've seen your barefoot vids.  My response gives me tons more room than my comp and is totally versatile.  The TXI even has a great wakeboard wake for the kid unless he wakeboards better than you ski or foot. I wouldn't be upset at all if I own this boat for the next 20 yrs!

if barefooting is a priority, no way on sport 200.  correct craft hasn't made a decent barefoot table since the barefoot nautique.  The ski nautique 200 hull which is the basis for the sport, achieves its softness through  "massaging" the water, not staying light.  Will be horrible table and crests, not to mention turbulence.  Whereas the basis of the VTX, the response, has far more desirable barefoot wake characteristics than the ski nautique, not to mention speed.

As a 2016 VTX owner who loves to barefoot and slalom, I would not buy this boat again. It has an excellent wakeboard/hydrofoil/surf wake but the for slalom and barefoot it was a huge disappointment. I test drove the 2015 VTX and was very happy with the wake, so ordered my new boat expecting it to have been improved. Unfortunately Malibu have become so focused on a surf wake now, it has ruined its versatility. I am now looking at selling it to buy an LXR. Here is a review I wrote on it.

Ive demo'd A 2015 Sport 200, it Skied Amazing for a V-Drive... Surfing was not very great, before i got behind it we dialed it in and the wave looked unreal, but once you get back there you realize it has no push and is very soft. I Skied a 14' VTX and the wake was good once you went above 31MPH. Didn't get a chance to surf it but the wave looked nice (Similar to my 08 VTX with an extra 1000lbs)

Hold off and wait to see what Nautiuqe comes out with Tomorrow, they are releasing their newly designed 20' crossover, rumor has it that it will surf like a G21 and Ski like a Sport 200, but hey for 100K that should be achievable! Cant wait to see what they come up with 

7 hours ago, ozresponse2 said:

As a 2016 VTX owner who loves to barefoot and slalom, I would not buy this boat again. It has an excellent wakeboard/hydrofoil/surf wake but the for slalom and barefoot it was a huge disappointment. I test drove the 2015 VTX and was very happy with the wake, so ordered my new boat expecting it to have been improved. Unfortunately Malibu have become so focused on a surf wake now, it has ruined its versatility. I am now looking at selling it to buy an LXR. Here is a review I wrote on it.

Didn't you write a long review of this boat? I read that and it was full of great information!

• Like 1