Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What am I doing wrong? (Wakeboarding)


theGrant

Recommended Posts

I am having no issues this year clearing the wake with my new 70ft rope and Ronix One board and bindings. But every picture I have has my board at this crazy angle in the air. Does it have to do with my takeoff? Do I need to shift weight somehow? What the HECK is wrong with me?

IMG_0266.JPG

Link to post

When cutting at the wake right now it's pretty clear from that pic that you are probably back foot heavy.  You need to balance your weight between your feet while making your cut.  No you won't (shouldn't) dig into the wake unless you are jumping off of a real washy wake or riding at 14mph or something.  From the part of the wake that's visible in the pic, it doesn't look like you have either of those problems.

Link to post
4 hours ago, theGrant said:

I am having no issues this year clearing the wake with my new 70ft rope and Ronix One board and bindings. But every picture I have has my board at this crazy angle in the air. Does it have to do with my takeoff? Do I need to shift weight somehow? What the HECK is wrong with me?

IMG_0266.JPG

Shorten rope to 25 ft, add large amounts of water to boat, exchange wakeboard for surfboard,10.8 mph and problem solved. Sorry I am no help here, gave that up a few years back cause man that water hurts at 21 mph and at that height. Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Idaorr said:

Shorten rope to 25 ft, add large amounts of water to boat, exchange wakeboard for surfboard,10.8 mph and problem solved. Sorry I am no help here, gave that up a few years back cause man that water hurts at 21 mph and at that height. Good luck!

I surf alot as well. Except I'm at 9.6 for an incredible wave. Never could figure out why I have to go so slow.

Link to post
Just now, Roush611 said:

I am interested in the responses.  I can clear the wake no problem, but look exactly like you in the air. 

I need to figure it out so that I can start trying some spins. I think the only trick I'd pull off right now would be a nose grab!

Link to post
Just now, theGrant said:

Do I have the height to start trying rolls/inverts yet?

yes  

 

As  you leave the wake through your head and shoulders to the tail of the board and look over your lead shoulder, that is where you will spot the lake.  

Link to post
6 minutes ago, REW said:

yes  

 

As  you leave the wake through your head and shoulders to the tail of the board and look over your lead shoulder, that is where you will spot the lake.  

Throw as hard as I can? Or medium?

Link to post
On 8/3/2016 at 10:39 PM, Idaorr said:

Shorten rope to 25 ft, add large amounts of water to boat, exchange wakeboard for surfboard,10.8 mph and problem solved. Sorry I am no help here, gave that up a few years back cause man that water hurts at 21 mph and at that height. Good luck!

You board in the air will mimic the position it's in when you take off, so if your board it nose up like this pic, you are taking off too back foot heavy. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
22 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Hard as you can to start.  You will feel it out eventually.

Just make sure you stay on edge all the way through the wake, else you will come up short on distance and "land" on the up-slope of the opposing wake instead on the top or outside. 

ps, get a helmet, looks geeky but will greatly reduce the three day headache (concussion) after a hard hit. 

 

Link to post

A video would really help. Your position is most definitely from leaving the wake with too much weight on the back foot. However, it honestly looks like you might not be doing the jump correctly. The reason I know is because I was where your at not too long ago.

How fast are you going and how much weight do you have in the boat? The reason I ask is because alot of people think they are jumping correctly if they can w2w. However many times they are just compensating bad form with speed or a really big wake. Going 21+ I can clear the wake using really wrong form.

I just learned how to do jumps correctly this summer and it's been a world of a difference. If you have correct form, you should be able to w2w on a 23lsv (just for width comparisons) at 18mph or even slower with just stock ballasts.

1 hour ago, REW said:

yes  

 

As  you leave the wake through your head and shoulders to the tail of the board and look over your lead shoulder, that is where you will spot the lake.  

Dont throw a backroll. I'm sure it can be done, but this is not how it's supposed to be done. A progressive back roll is all about edge technique. I just landed my first one the other day, but I'm just repeating to you what I've been directly told by coaches and just about all respected online rescources. Do a progressive edge all the way up through the wake and just a slight look back will get you flipping correctly. If your not making it all the way around, it is not because you aren't hucking it hard enough. It is because your edge is not progressive enough, your letting off the edge, or your not edging hard enough.

Watch this video: 

 

Edited by timelinex
Link to post

I agree, i think there is something else going on with your jumps.  Post a video of your approach all the way through landing of several jumps.  Seeing your knees bent so much tell me maybe you are throwing your jumps rather than using the loaded line.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

I agree, i think there is something else going on with your jumps.  Post a video of your approach all the way through landing of several jumps.  Seeing your knees bent so much tell me maybe you are throwing your jumps rather than using the loaded line.

If he's throwing them that high, though, Grant better be trying to walk on an NBA team.

Link to post

In my opinion I think the problem could be that you are leaving the wake then "freezing" - meaning you are keeping your body locked in the position you are leaving the wake.  I confess to still being guilty of this!!  Or it could be that when you leave the wake your subconscious kicks in and has your back foot searching for the water to ensure you don't catch the leading edge and face plant!! If you pause a lot of the "pros" at the point they leave the wake they are in very similar position - but they then "do something" which changes everything. Try relaxing a bit and then try to get some board movement or grabs happening.  If a 180 is a bit of a stretch initially maybe just try tweaking the board slightly by twisting it 90 degrees then back before landing - I reckon you will see your form improve quickly ?

Edited by PeteOOXXOO
Link to post
28 minutes ago, PeteOOXXOO said:

In my opinion I think the problem could be that you are leaving the wake then "freezing" - meaning you are keeping your body locked in the position you are leaving the wake.  I confess to still being guilty of this!!  Or it could be that when you leave the wake your subconscious kicks in and has your back foot searching for the water to ensure you don't catch the leading edge and face plant!! If you pause a lot of the "pros" at the point they leave the wake they are in very similar position - but they then "do something" which changes everything. Try relaxing a bit and then try to get some board movement or grabs happening.  If a 180 is a bit of a stretch initially maybe just try tweaking the board slightly by twisting it 90 degrees then back before landing - I reckon you will see your form improve quickly ?

I tried a 180 last night... I have a feeling that I am going to have some pretty painful whiplash set in sometime today or tomorrow! I spun it easily. I just caught an edge riding out of it. ?

  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...