Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need clarification on WS420 and Fosgate Black box (22VLX)

dielawn

Hi Team,

I purchased a WS420SQ and plan on installing the unit this weekend, but I wanted to make sure I come prepared with all the proper equipment so I am not killing myself in the 110 degree heat. I don't have the boat on site to go check or tinker with. I was hoping the crew could help me out.

I was hoping someone could clarify how the stock setup is on a 22 VLX with the three Fosgate amps ( pretty typical for anyone that did not do stereo delete).

Please confirm:

Stock Setup:

The 3 Amps RCA's on the amp board plug into the Fosgate RFX6000 (also on the amp board) and from the black box 1 set of RCA's make their way to the 7" touch screen on the drivers side (which controls master volume/Sport Knob). Is this correct?

Installing the WS420SQ:

Will I need to run all 3 sets of RCA's over to the cockpit where the WS420 will be installed, then from the WS420 Main Input, plug 1 new set of RCA's into the 7" screen? Do I eliminate the RFX6000 all together? Looking for clarification.

Thanks team.

37 minutes ago, dielawn said:

and from the black box 1 set of RCA's make their way to the 7" touch screen on the drivers side

There is no audio interface between the source unit and the viper. the viper acts mush like a slave remote to the BB. The EQ goes in between the BB and the amps, on the audio signal path. 

39 minutes ago, dielawn said:

Will I need to run all 3 sets of RCA's over to the cockpit where the WS420 will be installed,

You will need 1 stereo pair from BB to helm and 3 stereo pair back to amps

40 minutes ago, dielawn said:

Do I eliminate the RFX6000 all together?

Not unless you want to. As noted above, the EQ goes between source unit and amps. You will still have tuner, USB and apple integration. The BB will still be the turn-on for the amps and now for the EQ. 

@MLA

Ok so assuming then that the black box is the main Audio Source. The AUX IN from the BB goes straight to the MAIN inputs of the WS420, and 3 sets of RCAs go from the WS420 to the three amps accordingly correct? 

7 minutes ago, dielawn said:

The AUX IN from the BB goes straight to the MAIN inputs of the WS420

AUX in to the BB would be just that, an input. What you need to the EQ is an output like the front or rear output. 

no -- 

You want to use either the cabin or tower RCA output from the black box as your input for the EQ (one of the ones that's currently sending the audio signal to your cabin or tower amp).  Then run your three runs of RCAs back to your three amps from the EQs outputs.