Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Safety Chain Options

TC_2006_VLX

That I/O is probably 2700 lbs dry weight. my 22 is 4200 and probably 5000 with fuel and gear. not sure what would hold that down in a crash like this.

Edited by Kalamazoo

There is very little that is going to keep your boat from launching if you run a truck into a tree that hard.  I have no doubt that the little loop on the trailer that the safety chain/strap attaches too would break under that kind of impact.  And if the strap survived it likely would have just ripped the bow eye out.

Edited by oldjeep
On 8/4/2016 at 2:03 PM, thtrog said:

I know him, super nice guy and has taught numerous people to wakeboard just to introduce them to the sport. This was a bad luck Monday, he lives close to the launch and a shower popped up on the way. He said going through the first curve the brake peddle was weak and felt the front wheels lock. The next curve at the parking lot he hit them again, wheels locked and truck slid instead of turning. I have to think transom straps and additional bow chain/strap would have kept this boat on the trailer. Well you saw the rest of the story, good thing no one was hurt!

He plans to fix the boat, '97 Glastron he bought new and has right at 2000 hours.

0EDE6288-AE26-449C-AEAA-5F037ED44FCD_zps

I tie mine down. Don't understand those who don't.

Gotta have a bow safety chain and good transom straps. Crazy to trailer without them. I'm always amazed that my boat will move when traveling to my cottage. I have to adjust the straps at least once every time I go.

id rather have paint chips on my trailer than a boat in my backseat. The dip option sounds good though.

I use a turnbuckle as a fail safe to my bow strap.  Not sure how much good it would do but it's peace of mind to say the least.  Typically don't tow far unless it's beginning of the season or end of season to the lake house.  Have a 2.5 hour trip each way on the interstate for a weekend coming up in September and I'll be investing in some transom straps before I take the trip.  

Edited by NCVride

Transom straps are a big help when the freeway maintenance is lacking. I have hit a few pavement bumps, potholes etc at speed that would have thrown the boat off the trailer but for the straps.

• Like 1

I just bought an older Response, and the Ryan trailer it came with has no chain.  I have boated since I was 12 and trailered since I was 17 and have never considered not using a chain.  Planning on going down to the hardware store today and fixing that issue.  The Trailer has a little metal loop to attach one, but wondering if there is a way that is more advised.  I also use rear tie downs.  The boat came with those, from its original purchase from Bake's marine (logo sewn on) in Issaquah.  The prior owner never trailered far and did not use them, so they are basically new.  I will be trailering up over Galena summit on twisty mountain roads fairly regularly, so will use all the safety measures I can.