Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Safety Chain Options

TC_2006_VLX

So my new to me axis trailer did not come with a safety strap. I have seen multiple disasters that could have been prevented at the boat launch if some one did have one. On the old trailer with the VLX I just had a basic chain but that chipped up my trailer paint pretty good. Has anyone come up with a better solution/option?

I have a 3 foot section of dipped chain on one of my anchors that has worked great at preventing scuffs and chips. If you added a "C" type screw locking clevis link to both ends and or hook of appropriate strength you would probably have a winner.

Blows my mind that there isnt a nicer OEM option out there. We all have these super nice trailers and would like to keep it that way :) 

11 minutes ago, REW said:

You could mount a ratcheting tie down strap. 

It would probably work fine on a ramp with little to no incline. You get a little momentum going with an LSV sliding off the bunks and the strap is going to bust unless it is a trucker strap of some sort, been there done it!

54 minutes ago, wdr said:

It would probably work fine on a ramp with little to no incline. You get a little momentum going with an LSV sliding off the bunks and the strap is going to bust unless it is a trucker strap of some sort, been there done it!

Can't trust the ratchet tie downs, I have heavy duty retractable ones on the back of the trailer and I have to tighten them at every stop.  Also can't trust my fancy two speed winch as it loosens on its own as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I use this.

https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-Retractable-Tie-Down-2-Inch-43-Inch/dp/B000C5HFCE

Also keeps the bow from bouncing as you go down the road.

Exactly what I use.  Mine stays fully planted with the bow winch strap.  I use this on trips as extra safety protection.  Pretty much the perfect solution.  I also use their rear tie downs as well.

Edited by Nitrousbird

1st off...you get a new boat and you can't share pictures with us?!?

2nd...congrats!!!

3rd....my Axis came factory with a safety strap at the bow. I can snap a picture of it if needed.

My Axis came with one, but I made one for my Malibu with a piece of SS cable and 2 SS carabineers. Used SS cable clamps as well. Probably about $15 in hardware, 20 minutes of labor. Looked clean since it was custom length.

1 hour ago, Kalamazoo said:

wow. I'm starting to get nervous...as I don't have a safety chain nor transom straps and trailer around a lot.

I would start with the transom straps.  These boats are heavy enough that they won't move around on the trailer.  But in a frontal accident the boat can flip up and over onto you.  It could also bust through the front support and through the back of your vehicle.  Or slide up on top of you.  All are bad.

13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I would start with the transom straps.  These boats are heavy enough that they won't move around on the trailer.  But in a frontal accident the boat can flip up and over onto you.  It could also bust through the front support and through the back of your vehicle.  Or slide up on top of you.  All are bad.

This was local, just last week...

3F5DDB26-23BE-4BBC-B64E-81496191D2CE_zps

1 hour ago, thtrog said:

This was local, just last week...

3F5DDB26-23BE-4BBC-B64E-81496191D2CE_zps

Am I seeing it right that the broken ratchet strap is hanging from the front? Crazy.

Seeing how the boards are in the rack, I would have to think they weren't even going all that fast.

@Kalamazoo Get some transom straps! I have been behind guys towing without them and have actually seen the rear of the boat bouncing on the trailer (at least 6" off the trailer), that was in the city, not highway. I don't think the bow strap is as important since it is already secured there, but while you are shopping, you might as well grab one of those too. 

I wonder if my SS cable would have kept that boat above in place instead of ending up in the pickup bed...

10 minutes ago, Raimie said:

@Kalamazoo Get some transom straps! I have been behind guys towing without them and have actually seen the rear of the boat bouncing on the trailer (at least 6" off the trailer), that was in the city, not highway. I don't think the bow strap is as important since it is already secured there, but while you are shopping, you might as well grab one of those too. 

State law in Wisconsin to have transom straps, which many don't know about.

Edited by footndale
40 minutes ago, Raimie said:

Am I seeing it right that the broken ratchet strap is hanging from the front? Crazy.

Seeing how the boards are in the rack, I would have to think they weren't even going all that fast.

I wonder if my SS cable would have kept that boat above in place instead of ending up in the pickup bed...

Not saying they are a bad idea...but would they have stopped that boat anyway?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kalamazoo said:

Not saying they are a bad idea...but would they have stopped that boat anyway?

Who knows for sure... but I think they would have.

I know him, super nice guy and has taught numerous people to wakeboard just to introduce them to the sport. This was a bad luck Monday, he lives close to the launch and a shower popped up on the way. He said going through the first curve the brake peddle was weak and felt the front wheels lock. The next curve at the parking lot he hit them again, wheels locked and truck slid instead of turning. I have to think transom straps and additional bow chain/strap would have kept this boat on the trailer. Well you saw the rest of the story, good thing no one was hurt!

He plans to fix the boat, '97 Glastron he bought new and has right at 2000 hours.

0EDE6288-AE26-449C-AEAA-5F037ED44FCD_zps