Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Performance Issue on '06 Response LXI

Bought a used '06 Response LXI with 175 hours this past June.  Been skiing and enjoying it for a month.  This past weekend, I noticed a lack of "snap" out of the hole when I was getting pulled on my slalom ski.  The boat still got up to speed eventually, it just felt like I was dragging behind an underpowered I/O or something until we got to speed.  I have read ALL of the posts on here about fuel filters, temp gauge, fuel injector, plugs, wiring, etc (thanks for all the knowledge).  The boat is not really hesitating, it just feels like it is running at 70% or 80% power.  If I was just pulling wake boarders, I probably wouldn't have noticed the lack of power while skiing them as the boat pulls fine once the drag is gone.  When circling tight back to the course for another pass, it doesn't accelerate hard like it should.

I have noted the following presenting symptoms:

1. RPM will not get over 3950 RPM at WOT.

2. Boat hits a max speed of slightly over 40mph.

3.  I can smell an increase amount of fuel while skiing and while driving.

4.  When cruising at 30mph, I have noticed on 2 occasions that the engine ever so slightly hesitated (only 0.2 mph drop if that) but would go away if I increased throttle momentarily and settled back in to 30mph.

I will start with new plugs and cleaning the inline fuel filter and clean the fuel pump filter too.

Any other words of wisdom?  Thanks in advance.

LS

Whens the last time the fuel filter was replaced?  You say you've read about it but don't give us any details related to whats been done?  I had a similar issue in my fuel injected 98 sunsetter.  I would give it gas and it wouldn't go, I started by replacing the fuel filter first and checking the plugs.  Fuel filter seemed to be the issue for me.  One thing to note is that I had 2 fuel filters.. One above the gas tank, and one right by the engine.  I'm pretty sure you'd mostly like have a single fuel filter.

What kind of gas do you use, how old is it?

What did the plus look like, how old?

What temp was the motor at when you had this issue.

Arick,

As I just bought the boat privately in June, I am not sure if the fuel filter or plugs have ever been replaced.  Not sure if it is the same issue as your 98 Sunsetter as my boat is operational and does accelerate... it just doesn't pull like it did the previous weekend (or like I know it should).

I use premium gas.  Haven't pulled the plugs yet.  Temp is good.

If the fuel filter doesn't change things, it's probably running on 7 cylinders.  Changing the plugs would be a good start.

You can do a power balance test - which is simply have someone run the boat at a steady rpm, somewhere near 2000 rpm is good.  Pull off one injector connector at a time, and note the rpm drop.  If you find one that doesn't have an rpm drop, you have located a cylinder that isn't working.  This can be from no fuel, no spark, or no compression, but typically it's a fuel or spark issue.

Peter.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LakeSybelia said:

Arick,

As I just bought the boat privately in June, I am not sure if the fuel filter or plugs have ever been replaced.  Not sure if it is the same issue as your 98 Sunsetter as my boat is operational and does accelerate... it just doesn't pull like it did the previous weekend (or like I know it should).

I use premium gas.  Haven't pulled the plugs yet.  Temp is good.

I would start with fuel filter first.  Is the motor fuel injected or carb?

Make sure the premium gas your're using doesn't contain ethanol.  Ethanol gums up lots of things on older boats, not sure if you boat has parts that were able to handle ethanol.  

So, the rumors are true.  Many premium fuels still contain up to 10% ethanol.... uggghhh.  I assume this is the problem.  Going to still replace the Fuel Filter and clean the screen in the fuel pump and hope that pure ethanol free fuel will make the difference. I will go after the plugs next if that doesn't work.

9 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Definitely do a plug inspection right off the bat. No reason not to. It will tell you instantly if one doesn't look the same as others.

Good luck,

Steve B.

Thanks Steve B.  Great point.  Will do that.