Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake surf boat setup

Yuey

Hey folks 

I have a 2014 vlx with surf gate torque prop and 600lbs extra in each locker.  

Wedge 2 clicks up speed 10 to 11 mph all ballast full  

A lot of time only 2 of us on the boat and it seems I'm not getting enough push after I rotate on a 360 to keep riding. Using a liquid force fish running one centre fin. 

Any ideas?  So many variables not sure where to start.  

A little bow weight will help lengthen the wave, and try cheating the surf side with a little extra weight. A slight list helps too. For the ultimate wave, search for The Ninja on here. @Afun had the recipe down! 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

A little bow weight will help lengthen the wave, and try cheating the surf side with a little extra weight. A slight list helps too. For the ultimate wave, search for The Ninja on here. @Afun had the recipe down! 

I got the recipe from The Oracle. Slam the nose with 1000lb bag and proceed slowly to learn how to drive with that weight.  

• Like 3

Are you listing the boat a little?  I fill all of my factory tanks and both surf side 750 full, then non surf-side 750 we have about half full and the wave is excellent.

I have a lsv.... factory ballast full.... 1100 rear, additional 750 in front... If I have only a driver and + 1 in boat, I put a 750 down on floor in center. I use this bag as a kick bag (roll to surfside).

2 hours ago, Sixer said:

Are you listing the boat a little?  I fill all of my factory tanks and both surf side 750 full, then non surf-side 750 we have about half full and the wave is excellent.

I have just been filling everything. I should lighting up the one side ?  You have any more in the bow?  How many people riding to get the good wave ?  

Give it a whirl.  Try filling the extra sack in the back non-surf side only half full or less.  If we have a rider they sit in the back corner on the surf side.  I don't have extra in the bow, but have thought about putting some lead up there.  If I have a full boat of people I end up draining more out, just because I don't have the "heavily weighted/torque" prop on currently.  I would go as heavy as you can and drain a little out of the non surf side or have people in the boat sitting mainly on the surf side corner for starters and check out the wave and adjust from there.  Listing a little should help a lot though.  Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I have a 14 vlx and I don't fill the 750's right full, but I always have a 500 lb bag full in the bow for boarding or surfing and find that makes the biggest difference and the wedge can tweak the the wake from there.  Biggest mistake is too much rear weight which puts the surfer on the swim deck or your boat is porpoising trying to pull wakeboarders

Please don't take offense, and this may not be a popular viewpoint on this site, but I think the issue isn't the push of the wave, but more likely your technique with the 360.  I've seen 360's done many times on boats that don't make nearly the wake of a 14 VLX with that kind of weight and surf gate.  Maybe have someone video your attempts for others to view, or compare to online tutorials.

This is similar to the wakeboarder saying he's not able to go wake to wake because his wake is too small. Technique trumps ballast all day every day.  

Again, please don't take offense.  Best of luck!