Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 22VLX Top Speed Help

Superformance

Guy's

I have a 16 VLX with the 450 and stock low attitude prop, what are you seeing for top speed. Right now I'm 34 mph tops, my 15 VLX with the 350 was faster. I do come out of the hole like a rocket and certainly understand these aren't fast boats but thought 40 was close to normal with my configuration.

I'll check the boat tonight and verify prop specs, any thoughts ?

SPF

I was only getting mid 30s (paddle wheel or GPS) at WOT with the torque prop.  I eventually got up to 39-40mph on a perfect day with a much higher pitched prop than the 2249.  The OJ 925 (15x16.25) is what I'm running now for an all around.  If you're an Acme fan I think the 2277 is going to be great for everyone below a couple thousand feed altitude from my testing.  Sample of one I know, but here's the data.

Here's a link to my rpm/mph plots for different props I tested.  For the record I'm pretty sure my surf pipe is putting enough drag in to shave a couple mph compared to numbers i've seen from folks without one.

RPM curves.jpg

Edited by Slurpee
Updated Curves

Thanks for all of the great info guys.

After switching to zero off GPs I did gain 3 MPH and ended up at 37.1 (thanks Cory) still need to check prop numbers. I have to pull the boat tonight for its 10 hour service tomorrow so I will verify it then .

Thanks Again  SPF

super, even the factory prop options have a 25% spread with regard to pitch.  My guess is that what you're calling the "stock low altitude prop" is the torque prop.  A "steeper" prop will yield more lateral movement per revolution, but the sacrifice is getting off the line.  However, with the new reductions, even the "speed" prop is close to the old regular prop.  I think Malibu selected factory props with the expectation that everyone is really loading their boats down.  If you have the 450, and you don't weight crazy, you MAY even be able to go past the speed prop which is 17.75" pitch.  But, knowing what you have now will be very telling.

Took the boat out yesterday morning, and with a 15% fuel load and with just me in the boat 39.3 MPH. After my 10 service was completed I fuled up and with a full tank I was at 38.2 MHP.

85 BF you are correct I do have the 2249 prop (S.L. 1000') and at full throttle it really buzz's the motor 5400-5500. After doing a little more reading here, I'm thinking the 2277 might be a better choice ...

Thanks for the help Guy's    SPF ....

I have a 16 VLX with the 450. I am running the 2277. 42 MPH top speed on the limiter at 5500 RPM. It has plenty of power to surf and board with 750's in the back and a 650 bow bags. I would like to try a 2401 but the dealer still has not received one. Search for past threads.mi posted pics of rpm and speed both surfing and cruising with the 2277.

G

this my be completely off topic but thats really weird because my 06 with i think the 350 and i can get 45 out of it all day long and 42 with 12 people and a just filled fuel tank but it did take a couple extra seconds to get on plane when it is completely loaded 

Just now, Harrisonwakeboat said:

this my be completely off topic but thats really weird because my 06 with i think the 350 and i can get 45 out of it all day long and 42 with 12 people and a just filled fuel tank but it did take a couple extra seconds to get on plane when it is completely loaded 

Your 2006 is likely a lot lighter, has a completely different hull, different trans and a different prop ;)

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, Slurpee said:

For the record I'm pretty sure my surf pipe is putting enough drag in to shave a couple mph compared to numbers i've seen from folks without one.

I would agree with that.  My FAE cost me 5MPH...I think partly from drag, partly from being more restrictive than the stock exhaust, causing a loss of HP.  If I didn't like the quiet/fume free surfing from it I would have pulled it off.  The surf pipe I believe isn't as bad from a flow standpoint, so it stands to reason it wouldn't cause as much of a top speed loss.

40 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I would agree with that.  My FAE cost me 5MPH...I think partly from drag, partly from being more restrictive than the stock exhaust, causing a loss of HP.  If I didn't like the quiet/fume free surfing from it I would have pulled it off.  The surf pipe I believe isn't as bad from a flow standpoint, so it stands to reason it wouldn't cause as much of a top speed loss.

Yeah, when I put the FAE of my '01 VLX with the Monsoon 325 I lost some speed.  Not 5mph, but more like 3.5mph (by the PP paddlewheel anyway).  I'm happy now though with the higher pitched prop.  I can slalom on my diamond hull really nicely at about 4200 RPM and it's pretty good.  I don't want to barefoot or anything, I just needed my top speed higher so I was running the engine in a more efficient spot for slalom.  I do like how much quieter the surf pipe makes the boat though so I won't be without it again.

• 9 months later...

I finally had a chance to test a 2277 on my 2016 VLX.  I also recently added the OJ 929 (15x16.5) to the chart.  The 2277 definitely is a great performer.  I need a spare and that's what it's going to be I think.

The moral of the story is that "pitch" is not the same from prop to prop or company to company.

propeller charts.png

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 3

I only put about 8 hrs on with my 2249 before I switched to the 2277. While I like the 2277 better overall because it is quieter with the lower RPM's it needs more help with nose weight for surfing or wake boarding when the PNP's are full. 

6 hours ago, RevWil said:

I only put about 8 hrs on with my 2249 before I switched to the 2277. While I like the 2277 better overall because it is quieter with the lower RPM's it needs more help with nose weight for surfing or wake boarding when the PNP's are full. 

I changed from the 800lb PNP bags back to the 550lb PNP bags after a year with the 800s.  If I filled them up and filled up the horseshoe Fly-High bag up front (or put the same weight in people), then I wouldn't get the best wave I could until I drained out about 500lbs from the rear lockers.  That setup I had works like gang-busters on Ronnie's 23LSV, but my shorter and lighter 22VLX showed it not to work the best for us.

I suppose I could have also tried adding lead shot and stuff to the bow as well.  Go the other direction with the correction.  But the stock wave isn't bad, and with the PNP it's good at most wedge settings, and with a bag up front I have plumbed in already it's really good across the range.  Seeking great just seemed like a goal with diminishing returns this time.  I'm sure it would have worked as well though.  Lots of folks seem to go that route.

13 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I finally had a chance to test a 2277 on my 2016 VLX.  I also recently added the OJ 929 (15x16.5) to the chart.  The 2277 definitely is a great performer.  I need a spare and that's what it's going to be I think.

The moral of the story is that "pitch" is not the same from prop to prop or company to company.

propeller charts.png

Finally got to go WOT with my 410 equipped '17 22 VLX - with 65% fuel on board, no ballast, two adults and a large dog, I topped out about 36mph in very light chop at a little over 5000 feet altitude (EDIT : 5759 to be exact) - almost EXACTLY what your chart shows.    With full ballast, including PNP 550's, I was throwing an awesome wave at about 3500-3600 RPM at 10.8 mph (ranger cruising the lake, no observer, no surfer - wasted a perfectly good wave!).

Since my primary intended uses are surfing, and skiing, both 2 boards at 28mph, and slalom at 31-32mph) I would love to drop the RPMs for skiing and cruising across the lake a bit, but I dont want to sacrifice too much grunt for surfing.   I have been looking at the 2277 as a potential spare, but interested in opinions about whether that may be overly steep at altitude. 

I think it might be interesting for me to overlay my results at altitude on your chart... and see what the relative differences are.   Seems like drag (water conditions?) might be the biggest variable in the power band, and then as I went to a steeper prop I would expect that speed might flatten out - or if I went too steep I would not be able to make it to WOT RPMs. 

I guess a test is the only way to know... but the investment in a 2277 is not insignificant.  I would be unhappy with myself if I bought it, and found I was having trouble getting up on plane to surf.

Edited by JeffC

That would be really cool seeing the same data at higher altitude. Do it! 

Borrow a prop.  While Acme wouldn't trial a prop out to me directly like OJ would, they did refer me to a couple local brick and mortar places that would.  I just lived to far away to coordinate that.  So I just swapped props with my neighbor for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Your dealer could possibly help there as well.

Also, I know Wakemakers has an add-on deal when you buy a prop where you can start exchanging them until you get the one you want.  I think that's how it works though going from memory at the moment.  You wouldn't be locked in then, but you do have to commit to a prop of some model eventually.  Not bad if you need a spare or intend to sell your existing prop later.

I've got some data in that surf configuration as well for most of the props.  It's not as clean as the speed chart.  I'll see if I can dress it up some and PM it to you later.  I can say that Ronnie has told me his 23LSV is down 400-500 RPM while surfing on his 2277 from last year on his 2249.  I'll send you what I have later today.  If you think it's helpful I may post it as well.

@Slurpee  I will grab some data... sounds like a good project this weekend, since it is supposed to be a little on the cool side.  I assume your method was to set the RPM in even 500 RPM increments and read the speed? 

That deal with Wakemakers might be exactly what I need.   I am pretty sure I want a spare on hand no matter what, and if the 2277 worked out, then I would keep the 2249 as my spare - it certainly works well enough.  I suspect anything steeper than the 2277 would probably not be able to get to WOT RPM at my altitude, and might not have the grunt to pull my big butt out of the water on a slalom ski without dragging me halfway to Texas.  

I would love to have the data (can you tell I am a data geek?)!   And I do think it is worth posting... I bet there is more variance in surf configuration than at cruise.   I bet drag is a huge variable, and unfortunately there probably is not a way to get that consistent short.

Back to the cruise config... I think it is very interesting that there is a convergence of the curves around 3500 RPM.   If I had to guess, maybe that is because that is about where the boat REALLY gets fully on plane.  For my use however, dropping RPMs by a couple hundred at cruise would be REALLY nice.  

Edited by JeffC

PM sent.  And yeah, I put the dash into engine diagnostics mode and just nudged the cruise control a tenth up and down until I got close to exactly the RPM I was aiming for and then read the speed.