Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 malibu vlx

Manskella

Good morning every one!

I'm looking for some input from someone that has a little more knowledge about these boats and specifically what this one has installed on it! I'm currently in a 1994 malibu echelon. I have been shopping around a bit to find something that is going to put out a better wakeboard wake, and I want to get into surfing. I have found this boat on craigslist and was just looking for some feed back on if this boat is worth it! 

Here's a link to the ad! 

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/5696139432.html 

Edited by Manskella
Spelling

We love our 2003.  That one looks nice.  Has all the bells, so to speak....  I would definitely go look at it.  Price is a bit high, but there is a lot of custom stuff on it.  We paid under 30k 7 years ago.  It throws a great wake.  500 hours certainly isn't unreasonable.  Ours is creeping up on that. Looks very well maintained from the pics.  Looks like it was his labor of love.... :)

Thanks for your input, sodak that's kind of what I was thinking as well.  That the price was kind of step for an 03 but I just don't know because if ask the extras he had put into it. He had def silent shine time and money on it!

10 minutes ago, jrvs23 said:

That add is hilarious! Price seems high to me. Others may know a bit better.

And I got a kick out of reading it!

• Like 1
Just now, Pnwrider said:

For mid 30s you should be getting an 05+ vlx with the bigger hull. 

So if I go take a look at this boat this weekend where would you suggest is a good price to start at?

11 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Mid 20s and maybe go up to 28 or so. In 2005, malibu went to a new hull that has a wider beam and more free board which is definitely a big deal if you plan on surfing. 

Alright thank you. 

Also my family owns a boat dealers ship in western wi (sadly they don't sell anyour inboards). They are being an 07 wakesetter vlx se I believe in today would that be a behest possibility I might be able to get into that one for around 36k but that might be kind of steep for me personally.

On 8/1/2016 at 11:46 AM, Manskella said:

Alright thank you. 

Also my family owns a boat dealers ship in western wi (sadly they don't sell anyour inboards). They are being an 07 wakesetter vlx se I believe in today would that be a behest possibility I might be able to get into that one for around 36k but that might be kind of steep for me personally.

The 2005+ is noticably bigger inside, you will enjoy the extra room. @Pnwrider is right on the numbers. That boat should be 28k, maybe 30k with upgrades. His asking is WAY off. The 2007 you mentioned for 36 will be well worth if, especially if it has power wedge and front ballast. You should get us pics and details on that.

Price of his upgrades for reference:

1. Fresh air exhaust = 550
  2. Wetsounds tower speakers = 1100 a pair, the rest of his stereo is nothing to write home about
  3. DIY Surfgate = 500 on switches, 1600 with a control system (didnt see a control in the pictures)

The 2005+ wakesetters you need to jump on quickly (like that 07 you mention). 05-08 is the first year range where you have a good mix of size, options, and wakeboarding hull. Great entry level used boat.

Edit: I should also say that the 2003 vintage is extremely good as well. It's just that the 2005+ (V25 hull) was one of the first hulls built after people started to fill boats with tons of water. The 2004 and older wakesetters used an SV23 hull which was an iconic hull as well. I have 100x more hours wakeboarding behind an SV23 (username relavant) than a V25. The issue is also one of size. The 2005 will be 6 inches longer and a few inches wider. The adage you will find here on the forum is "if you think you need a 21, get a 23, if you think you need a 23 get a 247/25". I have almost never seen a post where someone regretted getting a larger boat.

Edited by 95echelon
  • Like 1
On 8/1/2016 at 10:08 AM, Pnwrider said:
43 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

The 2005+ is noticably bigger inside, you will enjoy the extra room. @Pnwrider is right on the numbers. That boat should be 28k, maybe 30k with upgrades. His asking is WAY off. The 2007 you mentioned for 36 will be well worth if, especially if it has power wedge and front ballast. You should get us pics and details on that.

Price of his upgrades for reference:

1. Fresh air exhaust = 550
  2. Wetsounds tower speakers = 1100 a pair, the rest of his stereo is nothing to write home about
  3. DIY Surfgate = 500 on switches, 1600 with a control system (didnt see a control in the pictures)

The 2005+ wakesetters you need to jump on quickly (like that 07 you mention). 05-08 is the first year range where you have a good mix of size, options, and wakeboarding hull. Great entry level used boat.

Alright I'll definitely get some pics of that 07. They are running compression test on it today should be on it later this week to try it out!