Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf board rack or forks, 3d printing?

Chris

Hasn't someone come up with a reasonably cost effective way to change out the forks on newer racks to something that can handle surf boards? I would think someone could just 3d print just the forks? I'm happy with the bungee cord clamping, I need slightly wider board openings and I thinks it in-sane to think of paying 1 or 2k or more for full racks when I just need a pair of forks. Suggestions?

We carry 2 surf boards and 2 kneeboardsand 8 or 10 people...I can usually put one oversized board on top of the forks and wrap the bungee around it, but it's not terribly stable and it's kind of a pain. 

Thanks! 

It's a must. Does anyone even wakeboard much any more. We were at our lake today and there were several Malibu's and Axis's, and everyone one of them was surfing. I rarely see anyone wakeboarding behind newer boats anymore.

15 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

It's a must. Does anyone even wakeboard much any more. We were at our lake today and there were several Malibu's and Axis's, and everyone one of them was surfing. I rarely see anyone wakeboarding behind newer boats anymore.

They still make wakeboards? Aren't they the new knee boards?  Haha jk. Jk.. but I agree wakeboarders are near extinct around here.. a rare sighting for sure. 

2 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

They still make wakeboards? Aren't they the new knee boards?  Haha jk. Jk.. but I agree wakeboarders are near extinct around here.. a rare sighting for sure. 

A friend of mine, who has been out of boating for about 5 years, is picking up a new 2017 23 lsv this week. He says he is primarily going to wakeboard. I responded, "sure you are." Haha 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 8:30 PM, Chris said:

Yep just ordered a pair from the link I posted. 

well that was a complete waste of time, money and effort. They actually have a smaller opening than the factory "surf" slot in the factory "one of each" racks. I will be returning them and trying to find someone to 3d print a set I guess. I may just try buying one of those table bandsaws at Home Depot and cutting up some sort of plastic and then sanding it down. That's not my idea of a fun evening but I'm about to have a board throwing session if have to step over all that stuff one more time. This boat is sooo huge compared to my older vlx, but I still can't keep the floor free of crap... 

3D printing metal??  All these racks are machined out of aluminum plate.

Take a look at Bullet Lines web site. You could probably add a new bolt hole to one of theirs. I have 2 of their swivel racks. Not as bling as some but they hold 4 surf boards and total investment was about $700 for both including racks, mounts, and swivels. Racks alone are about $175 each.

I have 2 racks from bullet lines so a total of 4 racks on my tower. I bought the wake/knee combo racks. They hold 2 kneeboards and 2 skim style surfboards without issue. For my thicker surf style boards I use the Bimini straps. But it sure is nice to be able to have 10 boards secured on the tower and none taking up room in the boat. 

13 hours ago, Anderson24 said:

just saw this thread but I machined some surf forks out of delrin. 

I just looked at that online. Can you tell me where you bought yours and any othing info on that build? router'd or bandsaw and sanding? pics? 

14 hours ago, That Guy said:

I have 2 racks from bullet lines so a total of 4 racks on my tower. I bought the wake/knee combo racks. They hold 2 kneeboards and 2 skim style surfboards without issue. For my thicker surf style boards I use the Bimini straps. But it sure is nice to be able to have 10 boards secured on the tower and none taking up room in the boat. 

thanks, I will check with them to see what we can work out. I dream of a clutter free floor in my lsv !!!!! 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I just looked at that online. Can you tell me where you bought yours and any othing info on that build? router'd or bandsaw and sanding? pics? 

Plastics international is where I bought the delrin. However, it is overkill for the job. Only reason I used it is because we buy it for my company. I think HDPE would work just fine, but I could be wrong.  

I used our Waterjet to cut the forks, then routered the edges for a nice radius. Sorry I didn't take any other pics when I built them. 

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, bbattiste247 said:

yes, we wakeboard. Wish that my wake surf rack was wake wake so that the boards didn't rattle as much.

As for making racks, time for a mini mill from harbor freight. Although you could actually do most of the work with woodworking saws and a router.