Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service Required Engine Fault

DanTheRiverMan

I have a 2012 Wakesetter and I have been getting a service required- engine fault with an error code: SPN:65551 FMI:1 Data Valid But Below Normal Range 

Can someone please tell me what this is and how it can be fixed? Thanks!

65551 is a knock sensor code for the knock sensor on the bank 1 side of the engine. Bank 1 is the side of the engine with cylinders 1,3,5,7. check to make sure the sensor is plugged in tight and that the wires are not broken and the connector is not corroded. The sensor is in the side of the engine block in the block drain hole. If the code persists, try swapping the sensors from side to side to see if the issue stays on the bank 1 side or moves to bank 2 where it would be a 65552 code.

Ok thanks! I am having trouble finding where the sensor is located. Can you give anymore detail to where that is? I figured out which side is bank 1, just don't know where the block drain hole is.

You will probably need to get the code cleared by a dealer that has a scan tool.  If it is not the sensor it could be a bad wire, connector or ECM.

Are you using the recommended octane fuel? If so and it runs well I wouldn't worry about it. Clean the contacts in any case. Have it checked next time it's convenient to get to the dealer.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/31/2016 at 1:18 PM, Engine Nut said:

65551 is a knock sensor code for the knock sensor on the bank 1 side of the engine. Bank 1 is the side of the engine with cylinders 1,3,5,7. check to make sure the sensor is plugged in tight and that the wires are not broken and the connector is not corroded. The sensor is in the side of the engine block in the block drain hole. If the code persists, try swapping the sensors from side to side to see if the issue stays on the bank 1 side or moves to bank 2 where it would be a 65552 code.

So I am getting this same code.  Is this something that needs to be addressed quickly or no big deal. 

also mine is slightly different it is  6551 fm1:5 

current below normal or open circuit 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
39 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

I am having this same issue.  Any one can elaborate further on how to find this sensor. 

The knock sensor is attached to the block drain plugs on each side of the engine.  You would have removed it when you winterize.

Just now, oldjeep said:

The knock sensor is attached to the block drain plugs on each side of the engine.  You would have removed it when you winterize.

Yea can you show me where they are at with a picture.   I am slow.  

17 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Looks like the black thing in the picture.  In the diagram it is shown as red (Part 199).  there is one on each side

knock.png

Ok I plugged it back in.  I am still getting the warning.    Will I have to get the code cleared. 

4 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Ok I plugged it back in.  I am still getting the warning.    Will I have to get the code cleared. 

Yeah, or wait for 3 full cycles of running/cool down without the error occurring again and then it should clear itself.

So it wasn't plugged in? - one or both?  And make sure it doesn't spin on the stud - the nut has to be on tight enough to hold it tight to the stud.

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, or wait for 3 full cycles of running/cool down without the error occurring again and then it should clear itself.

So it wasn't plugged in? - one or both?  And make sure it doesn't spin on the stud - the nut has to be on tight enough to hold it tight to the stud.

Thanks.  Yea just one.   I will make sure it’s tight enough when I get home. 

thanks old jeep 

5 minutes ago, Chrisjjbrown said:

Thanks.  Yea just one.   I will make sure it’s tight enough when I get home. 

thanks old jeep 

No problem.  Make sure to kick whoever winterized it for you in the nuts ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1