Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No such thing as "Smooth Water Saturdays"

BarOne

Rant #1... Nothing peeves me more than showing up early at my small lake location in search of smooth water and witnessing all these other hacks showing up with nice ski and wake rigs....only to start ripping on tubes!!! WTF. Might be a good time to teach the lads how to do real water sports with that $$ rig! Go have a long breakfast, and wait till the rest of are done!

Rant #2... Don't clog up the boat ramp deflating your tubes and rolling up lines when there's a line waiting to load boats!

Edited by BarOne

...or buy some property and dig a private lake.

The guys pulling tubes with high dollar boats has been going on since guys with money started having kids. It's never going to change...nor should it.  What you consider a real water sport might seem like lunacy to them...especially since you are the one who needs the flat water.  They are good to go in any conditions.

• Like 3

in between memorial and Labor Day, 8 am isn't early enough.  I've been uncovering my boat to head to the lake in total darkness the last couple weeks.

• Like 2

I have no problems with small children with a parent on a tube. Carry on.

I do have a special hatred for tubers that follow our boat when we are boarding or surfing though. That and jet skis. 

Edited by Technicallyabu

I saw someone tubing with a new NXT today. Had we not been anchored out and swimming I would have yelled at them since tubing is banned on our water. 

They stopped before I went out to surf. It is the 2nd NXT to pop up on our water this year - what a waste of money. 

• Like 2

Guess what slalom skiers used to say about he boarders and now surfers? Im q bit lucky. I have two lakes i go to. The smaller, less known one we go to since it always has smooth water. Yes, i pull kids on tubes as well as boards and skis. I really dont like driving for a tuber but sometimes the kids just want the thrill of hanging on for dear life. 

7 hours ago, williemon said:

Guess what slalom skiers used to say about he boarders and now surfers? Im q bit lucky. I have two lakes i go to. The smaller, less known one we go to since it always has smooth water. Yes, i pull kids on tubes as well as boards and skis. I really dont like driving for a tuber but sometimes the kids just want the thrill of hanging on for dear life. 

Yes I remember mid 90's wake boarder got trade the same as snowboarders when they started. Now surfing is the new sport to pick on. 

My daughter wakeboarded after tubing, did pretty well, some decent air, etc.  But she also slaloms, surfs, etc. and knows her way around the back of a boat (age 10).  I was nervous about her two friends, they have struggled to get up a few times before, never successfully.  I wanted them to keep tubing, but they wanted to try wakeboarding.  After repeated fails, they gave up.  One was crying.  I would rather we just tubed and continued the fun.

We just go with the flow.  Do whatever the water allows. Amazing that when we surf, everyone else leaves.....

I did have the tube in the boat yesterday, but never broke it out.

@BarOne the other option is go to a different lake.   My normal lake is a zoo on weekends,  flatwater does not exist.   So I simply don't go there.   Instead  I tow 100 miles each way to a different less crowded lake. 

4 hours ago, Levi900RR said:

The wind is way more of an obstacle for me than other boats. My lake is pretty bare until noon on most weekends. 

This!  Wind kills me if I'm not out early.. always checking the forecast for light and variable!

When we used to tube, my kids (and their friends) hated tubing on flat water. Except for small children, it was always more fun for us to go tubing in choppy water. But I guess we are in the minority viewpoint on that.

Now we are more like Levie900RR and Powerdjay, our biggest issue is the wind!

Went out to the smooth lake this weekend. There were a few fishing folks out close to the banks but that was it. Had the whole lake to ourselves. Wakeboarded, kneeboarded, slalomed. My two kids learned slalom in just 5 tries each on saturday. They already wakeboard, ski and k eeboard. 

• Like 2