Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

15' 23LSV LSA: Ran Flat Out For 5 Minutes = Smell

I found a smooth patch of the river and let it rip hammer down for about 5 minutes. We started noticing a smell, seemed like metal on metal type of smell. Temps were 166-170 which is normal however oil pressure dipped to about 14-15. We stopped, checked the oil was slightly above the operating range. Def had a smell from the engine compartment. We replaced dipstick and it ran fine same temps 30+ oil pressure. 

This is the LSA motor with 67 hours. Not sure what happened since it really didn't smell like burnt oil.

Edited by cashito

The smell is probably something (paint, oil, etc) burning off the outside of the engine/exhaust in an area that got hotter than usual because of the extended time at wide open throttle.

Same thing with the oil pressure, as it get hotter it gets thinner, the viscosity improvers can only compensate so much.  It's the reason performance off shore boats have 12 qt oil pans, oil coolers and run straight weight oil.

• Like 1

What were your rpms? Redline 5200+? For five minutes? I've never been a fan of running wot on these boats for extended periods.  I usually cruise at 3800-4000, just my preference.  Although in theory it should not damage anything running it hard, not sure how good that is for the engine tho.

Is oil pressure normal at idle (30 +/-)? 55-60psi while cruising?  You could also take a look at engine for anything obvious  (blistered paint, melted components, etc...) if all looks good I would just keep using it and keep and eye on temp and oil pressure. 

Like FMan, I cringe at the thought of WOT for anything other than a seasonal burst.  My non mechanically trained mind sees WOT the same as running past the redline. 

But I will ask, Other than using lots of fuel, is running Max rpms for a long period of time any different to the engine than running 1/2 rpms?

Edited by Bozboat