Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Johnson reversible impellers

racer808

One of my bags fills and drains slower than the others.  I'm suspecting the pump impeller?  How do you inspect, what's a new compared to worn look like?  How do access the I,pellet, remove the top of the pump I assume?

Edited by racer808

Yes remove the lid on top and the impeller will be right there.  Order the softer nitrile impellers they handle heat better and last long.  They are on bakesonline under pumps.  Ten minute job.

First off if the pump is mounted with the impeller on top it would be a good time to remount @ 180 degrees so if the impeller ever leaks it doesn't soak the pump motor.

I had similar symptoms on my MB install a couple of years ago.  The pump impellers aren't quite as tight as a raw water pump impeller and my pump's impeller wasn't shredded or anything, but the rounded ends of the vanes of the slow pump's impeller were all squared off instead of round anymore.  

• Like 1

Fwiw, I mounted my friends Johnson pumps impeller side up 3 years ago (which was a mistake on my part) and they are still fine.  I was going to reverse them but he said leave it be.  We also came to the conclusion if your pump starts leaking it needs to be replaced regardless of how it is mounted.  Having them impeller side up also makes the impeller swaps much easier.

I just mounted mine sideways so the impeller is facing the front of the boat in the v-drive compartment. Still drains away from the motor if it leaks and easily accessible. 

On 8/1/2016 at 0:11 PM, cowwboy said:

I just mounted mine sideways so the impeller is facing the front of the boat in the v-drive compartment. Still drains away from the motor if it leaks and easily accessible. 

Where did you find room to do that? Pictures?

I'll have to try to remember to get pictures tonight. 

But they are mounted on the seat base / dividers that separate the cooler compartment and the v-drive compartment on the port side and the divider that separates the storage compartment under the seat and the v-drive on the starboard side. 

They are mounted so the motor is almost behind the seat base towards the engine. It makes for tight angles for the tubing but easier maintenance. 

Before blaming the impeller, verify the condition of your check valves.  I thought I had a worn impeller and it ended up being a bad check valve.  I swapped my Johnson Black for a Green and it isn't any different.

Nice install.  I never considered that placement thinking the hose would not bend that much.  Those are tight bends. I have 3 pumps under the port rear corner seat, but the impellers are against the floor so to change them I would have to dismount the pumps.

On July 31, 2016 at 6:00 AM, racer808 said:

One of my bags fills and drains slower than the others.  I'm suspecting the pump impeller?  How do you inspect, what's a new compared to worn look like?  

Mine drains from the bottom.  

I don't know if I'm up for cutting more holes and dicking with the ballast.  I want to add more boom boom this winter, not sure how long we'll keep this boat so I'm hesitant to spend much time and get all attached to this boat like I did the VLX.  Love the wave, love the boat but the engine compartment is so loud it should be a crime, it's impossible to keep clean, we wipe down after each use and have to clean it before it every use.  I sort of want a big cabin cruiser when the kids are gone, I'm sure you can surf one of those too with enough weight

18 minutes ago, racer808 said:

I sort of want a big cabin cruiser when the kids are gone, I'm sure you can surf one of those too with enough weight

I hope it's an inboard.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:36 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Before blaming the impeller, verify the condition of your check valves.  I thought I had a worn impeller and it ended up being a bad check valve.  I swapped my Johnson Black for a Green and it isn't any different.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:53 PM, MLA said:

Yep, leaky check valves have been known to cause priming issues for some. 

:plus1:  Both of my 1" check valves leak and they were just installed a couple months ago.  The first couple times out I could turn my bags into raisins, now they leave about 50lbs of water in them.  I was better off with my brass swing gate check valves from Lowes.