Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How would you handle this?

NCSurfing

Sorry to hear. I'm sure the dealer feels terrible too. Hope you get the new stuff installed quickly and put this behind you. Dealer sounds like they go above and beyond, I wouldn't dump them now.

Steve B.

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

The dealer has insurance, make them take care of it. They need to prove they want your business and anyone you might send their way.

Again... good luck with that. Your obviously not reading all the thread. But the dealers have agreements that you sign & this releases their liability.

The best thing you can do is lock it up.

2 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Terrible.  

Confirms my overall theory.  The dealership is not a terrific place for your boat to be.

its kinda like a hospital.  The more often you are in the hospital the more apt you are to get caught up in other issues: infection, diseases, malpractice, adverse reactions etc.

You do have good dealer service though-- out of 6 dealers I've dealt with... 1-2 might have offered to come get the boat like they did.

They are a great dealer and honest people, things can happen at any business we choose to deal with. I'm sure they will help within their means and hopefully take measures to reduce future risk. If the OP has been with Progressive for awhile he may not have a deductible, hope all works out for the best! 

2 hours ago, thtrog said:

They are a great dealer and honest people, things can happen at any business we choose to deal with. I'm sure they will help within their means and hopefully take measures to reduce future risk. If the OP has been with Progressive for awhile he may not have a deductible, hope all works out for the best! 

So 24 hrs later and I've come to appreciate this perspective further. I can't say enough about how promptly and professionally this matter has been addressed. I've already got the police report and they are calling Malibu first thing Monday to expedite delivery of factory replacement parts. Progressive has been great thus far and collectively, both parties and the support on this forum are helping me move past it. Part of this post was to learn what I should expect as I haven't been thru this before. The thought never crossed my mind to be ugly about it as I hold G-Macks perspective as he shared just above. Good, honest people are hard to come by and I feel good about keeping that perspective and ensuring my dealer relationship stays strong. In fact, when I called the service manager this morning the first thing I did was thank him for what he did to get my boat back in a week. 

I will keep you guys posted on how it shakes out with Progressive...am told I will know more on Tuesday. 

Edited by NCSurfing
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, nyryan2001 said:

Terrible.  

Confirms my overall theory.  The dealership is not a terrific place for your boat to be.

its kinda like a hospital.  The more often you are in the hospital the more apt you are to get caught up in other issues: infection, diseases, malpractice, adverse reactions etc.

You do have good dealer service though-- out of 6 dealers I've dealt with... 1-2 might have offered to come get the boat like they did.

I hear what you're saying Ryan. It is terrible and I don't wish this type experience for anyone. I thought you were referring ONLY to the OP's dealer, which I personally know and trust. The response is what will make the difference in the end and hopefully the insurance company acts quickly! 

Ok, from what I am reading here if someone's car gets damaged while its in my shop  I am not liable for the damage.  Then why do I have garage keepers coverage to protect me if a customers car is damaged while in my care custody and control.  

Hmm, maybe I need to call my agent.  

• Like 3
6 hours ago, NCSurfing said:

So 24 hrs later and I've come to appreciate this perspective further. I can't say enough about how promptly and professionally this matter has been addressed. I've already got the police report and they are calling Malibu first thing Monday to expedite delivery of factory replacement parts. Progressive has been great thus far and collectively, both parties and the support on this forum are helping me move past it. Part of this post was to learn what I should expect as I haven't been thru this before. The thought never crossed my mind to be ugly about it as I hold G-Macks perspective as he shared just above. Good, honest people are hard to come by and I feel good about keeping that perspective and ensuring my dealer relationship stays strong. In fact, when I called the service manager this morning the first thing I did was thank him for what he did to get my boat back in a week. 

I will keep you guys posted on how it shakes out with Progressive...am told I will know more on Tuesday. 

Glad it's all sorting out.  Hate it happened.  Never a good feeling to have stuff stolen.  hopefully you have Progressive's disappearing deductible if it falls back to your insurance and not the dealership.  

Curious which dealer it is as I am in NC as well...

1 hour ago, rabiddawg said:

Ok, from what I am reading here if someone's car gets damaged while its in my shop  I am not liable for the damage.  Then why do I have garage keepers coverage to protect me if a customers car is damaged while in my care custody and control.  

Pretty sure they will tell you they will only cover damages where you are negligible.  Example you or your employee wrecks it.  Curious what they say though.

11 hours ago, t a said:

Pretty sure they will tell you they will only cover damages where you are negligible.  Example you or your employee wrecks it.  Curious what they say though.

i would rather be covered for theft, vandalism or weather disaster etc. something out of my control.  

Im a body shop so if I wrecked it I would fix it out of my pocket to prevent being dropped or having my premium increased.  

1 hour ago, rabiddawg said:

i would rather be covered for theft, vandalism or weather disaster etc. something out of my control.  

Im a body shop so if I wrecked it I would fix it out of my pocket to prevent being dropped or having my premium increased.  

just letting you know "in most cases" since those claims are out of your control you are not going to be considered liable.  If someone wants their car covered for those things, they need to carry full coverage.  What if they carried liability only and a hailstorm came through while it was on your lot.  They don't want to cover the car for hail when it's in their possession, why should it be covered when it's in yours causing you a claim and rate increase?  Wouldn't that not be fair to you as the business owner to have a rate increase for something you didn't do? I'm no commercial insurance expert but I do know a lot on personal auto policies and insurance in general.  Boats usually tend to follow similar rules.  I would call your agent just to verify but these rules are there to protect you.  If it were the other way, one hailstorm or theft could cause so many claims you would be uninsurable.

On July 30, 2016 at 9:58 AM, MLBurns said:

The dealer has insurance, make them take care of it. They need to prove they want your business and anyone you might send their way.

Insurance law will decide who covers it not the dealer. Turn it over to your insurance. 99% they will be the primary coverage not the dealers company. If they believe the dealers insurance has liability then trust me they will sort that out. As a show of good faith I would ask the dealer to cover the deductible. They don't have to however it never hurts to ask. 

G

6 minutes ago, Sailvi767 said:

Insurance law will decide who covers it not the dealer. Turn it over to your insurance. 99% they will be the primary coverage not the dealers company. If they believe the dealers insurance has liability then trust me they will sort that out. As a show of good faith I would ask the dealer to cover the deductible. They don't have to however it never hurts to ask. 

G

Yes "insurance law" this is not the dealers decision.  This has happened a million times in the past and there are precedents in place for who covers what.  I was just trying to help ppl understand the "why".  Thanks for adding that :).

On 7/30/2016 at 9:54 AM, bamaboy said:

Can I get an address of this dealership?

The one in Cda, the one in Issaquah, the one in TriCities & the one in Portland to name a few.

10 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

The one in Cda, the one in Issaquah, the one in TriCities & the one in Portland to name a few.

Which brand do you find coke most often in?

On July 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM, Bill_AirJunky said:

Good luck enforcing that. I know people who have had issues with things disappearing at a lot of the NW dealerships, and have never heard of the dealership insurance covering it.

I don't agree with it myself. But that seems to be how it always shakes out. Frankly I wouldn't leave anything in my boat that I wasn't prepared to lose/protect myself. I remove the ski gear, the tower speakers, the stereo faceplate, etc. Or I realize I'm risking it.

Now that I've been working for a dealership, I can't believe the stuff people leave in their boat while at the dealer..... besides all the stereo gear..... from super large inflated tubes, high end wakeboards or waterskis, to rare bottles of wine or tons of coke, to wallets & expensive sunglasses. And they won't even bother to bring their cover & still expect us to cover it or store it (and 900 other boats) indoors.

Which one are you working at now Bill? Coke? Really? I have seen some crazy stuff but never that.

We get hit all the time...And we are right across the street from the POLICE STATION! It's so bad that we can't leave boats outside without removing stereo equipment. Usually happens on a Sunday night, early Monday morning. Other dealers in our area get hit too. To give you some reference from a dealers perspective: Our deductible is in the thousands, so never makes sense to file a claim, although one dealer recently..... the damages were so bad they filed a claim. :( Most of the time it's the boats we own getting hit, but nonetheless we always replace the stolen equipment on our nickel. I hate thieves..to the point we are thinking about doing a bait boat. Leave 1 blinging boat outside with 1 amp that just happens to have an old iPhone inside it. Once it gets stolen. Find my iPhone. Police are down for the sting, too. Can't wait to catch these guys. 

You should check local pawn shops too. I know the pawn shop these guys are taking our stuff too. Just gotta get smart with serial #'s...

Edited by skurfer
  • Like 3

NC, sorry to hear that.  Hopefully everything will work out.  I am dealing with a home theft right now, and it is a PITA but at least it is being resolved.

Your dealer should work with you on the deductible portion.  Especially as a good portion of damages will be THIER labor reinstalling the stolen parts.  

On 7/30/2016 at 8:06 PM, t a said:

This really sucks as do all theft situations.  I'm going against everyone else and gonna say this will be on your insurance unfortunately.  I'm an insurance agent and can almost guarantee it'll be put on you.  I know your pissed and hope your deductible isn't too high for comp but this isn't their fault (unless they actually stole the stuff).  I wouldn't destroy your relationship with the dealer over this.  Yes they have a policy but it's more to protect their unsold boats or possibly if they were to wreck yours while testing it.    Hope progressive takes care of you as I have progressive as well so curious to hear how you make out.

Wouldn't the dealer taking "Care, Custody and Control" mean it would go under their garage keepers?

49 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Wouldn't the dealer taking "Care, Custody and Control" mean it would go under their garage keepers?

I'm sure if you had a contract with them when dropping it off stating that then possibly yes, but as mentions in a few comments ago, it's up to the dealers insurer to cover it, not the dealer.  If the dealer backs them self into that corner then they will be paying out of pocket.  The dealers insurer will only pay a claim on a customer's vehicle if the dealer is the direct cause of the damage.

Edit: after reading more into CCC (care,custody,control) rules there are many exclusions.  It's seems hardly anything would be covered under that type of policy.  But still, the insured of the garage policy has to directly cause damage to property in question or there is no way it would be covered.

Edited by t a
Edit
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 7:01 PM, rabiddawg said:

That is exactly what I was talking about, when I had my own shop my insurance company said if the vehicle was in my possession I was responsible for it's security and well being and would loose if it ever went to court.

Then can claim that it is not their responsibility all they want.  But the law is on your side.  And so is their reputation...   Stick to your guns  and fight them over it.