Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bogging with my VLX

I've read a bunch of threads with people having the same issues as me. I've actually compiled a bunch of them and ill post them in this thread hopefully to help out some future boaters down the road.

Symptoms*

It seems from the start off at the launch the boat runs fine, sometimes I have to "burp" the boat to get the water flowing through the motor to cool it off so ill get the boat off the trailer get it somewhere safe while someone puts the truck away. Ill turn the boat off, wait a minute, then turn it back on it seems on our lake the no wake zone takes forever to get out of and I can see the temp climb above the middle. However once we get up to speed the motor cools down and I don't have a problem with the temp the entire day.

The boat will run fine for about an hour, then once we decide to change locations and ride out to the other side of the lake it seems the boat will start to bog after riding 35mph+ for more than 2-5min. It starts around 3800rpms then I can lower the throttle for it to stop then it starts up again at 3700rpms and continues to about 3300rpms. If we make a stop to let the boat rest, let the kiddos in the water for a bit to cool off then start up again its as if it never happened. Then again after 2-5min at speed it'll start to bog again.

Once we start the boat after leaving it at rest halfway to our destination I hear a WHINE only at startup which lasts about 1-2 seconds, I was thinking it was the fuel pump but I cant be certain as it doesn't whine like that while we are driving. Its as if the pump is trying to prime but is having a hard time, the boat starts up fine.

Things we have done* (some photos have question marks, because I was using these when I was trying to figure out locations. These are in fact the correct locations in case anyone is wondering)

We replaced the in line fuel filter, and cleaned the filter to the fuel pump.

D800325D-6135-4DA3-B79A-A77F42E2822C_zps

9C1175E3-1296-4169-840F-A1EAB4D1F796_zps

D523D5B8-78F1-4AF3-9F89-4F875E52E193_zps

Anyways, we did all that work and the boat seems to still have issues at 35+mph for a duration of 2-5min+. I went to our local Malibu dealer and was able to pick up the last fuel pump part#556184 @ $289.95 + tax. It came with a large rubber jacket im assuming I can just take it off to fit like my old one did.

4FE997AB-5D5C-4835-8EB2-FCE4987F98C8_zps

original

9C1175E3-1296-4169-840F-A1EAB4D1F796_zps

I plan on replacing the pump this weekend and fingers crossed im hoping it works... If anyone else has any other input please feel free to respond.

Thanks in advance

Edited by jdeltoro
  • 2 weeks later...

So we replaced the pump and it seems that although the boat ran better, it wasn't our issue as it started bogging after about 15min of driving about 30mph back to the launch. I've attached a video please check it out and if you guys have any suggestions on what to check out next?

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid468.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Frr42%2Fjfdeltoro%2Fwakesetter%2F817159CC-F77D-44BF-95FE-51B7A5F6D7FB_zps9je594eq.mp4&title=">

For some reason it wont embed... th_817159CC-F77D-44BF-95FE-51B7A5F6D7FB_

I've changed:

1. In line fuel filter
  2. Fuel pump
  3. Impeller
  4. I've swept the raw water cooler to make sure it isn't clogged and didn't find anything

61755048-16E6-4AE4-B687-C16DA0215FFF_zps

What should I try next?

• Plug wires
  • Spark plugs
  • Cap/rotor
  • Fuel injectors (are these hard to remove? I've seen diy cleaning videos Ive been contemplating trying it out if I can get to them easily.)
Edited by jdeltoro
On 7/29/2016 at 8:54 AM, jdeltoro said:

and I can see the temp climb above the middle. However once we get up to speed the motor cools down and I don't have a problem with the temp the entire day.

Can you be more specific on this?  What is the actual water temp on the gauge?

19 hours ago, formulaben said:

Can you be more specific on this?  What is the actual water temp on the gauge?

We don't get this issue anymore however the temp would go higher than 160. It was because the previous owner replaced the impeller without using the foam gasket, i'm assuming water would creep past the silicone they used to seal the cover on.

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2016 at 12:09 PM, jdeltoro said:

We don't get this issue anymore however the temp would go higher than 160. It was because the previous owner replaced the impeller without using the foam gasket, i'm assuming water would creep past the silicone they used to seal the cover on.

I know it's been a while but what was the root cause? I'm having the same issue on my 2001 VLX. I replaced both fuel filters. My fuel pump makes a high pitch whine sound so I'm thinking its about to die soon. was thinking of checking/replacing fuel lines between tank and fuel pump too.

I too have a 2001 VLX sunsetter making the same whine noise and stalling after driving for a while. Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is?

9 minutes ago, kentsharon said:

I too have a 2001 VLX sunsetter making the same whine noise and stalling after driving for a while. Did anyone ever figure out what the problem is?

You can know with certainty if you check fuel pressure at idle and at speed.  Assuming you have replaced the filters and your tank is not full of water/crap, then start hunting for a fuel pump.  They have a life.