Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me find a new ski boat!

powderjay

As far as ski boats go the MC 190 and 197 both have great wakes.  I haven't skied the lxi. 

For that age I tend to worry more about the condition than the model or brand.

Do you want open or closed bow?  What's your budget?

It looks like from what you posted your budget is enough to get an EFI engine.  I'd much rather have that over a carb.  

Resale/desireability on 1998 is questionable. They are called the Death Star after all.:whistle: [sarcasm font] Chine lock one boat onto the beach during a tournament one time and it'll haunt you forever. [sarcasm font]

I would be on board with either of the other two depending on condition. Remember all the mid 2000s vinyl issues in the industry? Check all those stitched lines on that MC carefully, once one goes the rest follow quickly.

Edit: Like Woodski mentioned below me, the 197 is probably my favorite looking boat of all time and would be on the top of my list if I were ever able to upgrade. Yeah, I said it. And it would have a mini tower on it. 

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1

Choices!  What is your priority list and what is important for this particular purchase - type of use - course ski? / number of people typically in boat / line lengths & speeds / how much stuff you keep in boat . . .

Three pretty different boats, open v closed bow, wake characteristics, stoarage, different appeals.  The Sammy Duvall will probably hold best value for the MC afficianado's and be easy to sell and IMO is stunning as a looker (in fact on our lake someone mentioned that boat, they are MC fanatics), the Prostar will be least family friendly, LXi will be most family friendly but the worst bow dipper of the three and if you need parts for or from that other boat may be an option (LOL).  For pure slalom skiing and barefooting I would lean towards the LXI having skied all three of what you are looking at.  An MC person that owned both a 190 and now a 197 comments on how good the 190 wake was (early 90's so better than the '98 you are looking at).

17 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Resale/desireability on 1998 is questionable. They are called the Death Star after all.:whistle: [sarcasm font] Chine lock one boat onto the beach during a tournament one time and it'll haunt you forever. [sarcasm font]

I would be on board with either of the other two depending on condition. Remember all the mid 2000s vinyl issues in the industry? Check all those stitched lines on that MC carefully, once one goes the rest follow quickly.

Hey, it probably has the band aided fin & rudder to keep it down.   :Doh:

I'd stay away just on the premise that they band aided it (rather than fixing it for good) & only sold the hull for 2 years. No sarcasm at all.

If they are all in similar condition, go out for a pull behind each one before choosing! I prefer the wake of the Malibus & Nautiques, never been a MC fan - but it's certainly personal preference.

Since you have the LSV for all of the other stuff, and just need a ski tractor, I like that 197 the most too.  I have no idea about the wakes though.

Thanks Guys, looked at the 197 mc, stitching on rear deck is splitting clean otherwise. Haven't looked at the lxi. Looking at the 98 tomorrow... but not sure if I even should now?!?  Whats a fair offer on the Sammy D?

Edited by powderjay
2 minutes ago, powderjay said:

good looking boat but don't need a tower or wedge,  lave the lsv for that.  Need a pure ski machine.

You can't have a LSV sitting next to a MC... :bash:  Stay loyal!

26 minutes ago, powderjay said:

Thanks Guys, looked at the 197 mc, stitching on rear deck is splitting clean otherwise. Haven't looked at the lxi. Looking at the 98 tomorrow... but not sure if I even should now?!?  Whats a fair offer on the Sammy D?

197 MC was the worst of that era for DD ski boats.  Even the Tournament Team boats, which typically had some modified hulls to try to improve wakes.  They're not terrible, but the Malibus and Nautiques are better.

2 hours ago, RedOwl said:

Super rare is not what you want to hear when buying a used boat.....  These aren't collector cars after all. ?

Not a bad boat, but they were only produced for a short period of time.  I'd go for something from the big three only......

Edited by sic0048
4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I'm pretty sure this is my old boat. I bought it new from No Wake Marine in 2005.  It was a great boat but sold it it buy a Txi in 2012.  Still looks as good as I kept it from the picture.

2 hours ago, sic0048 said:

Super rare is not what you want to hear when buying a used boat.....  These aren't collector cars after all. ?

Not a bad boat, but they were only produced for a short period of time.  I'd go for something from the big three only......

Never knew they built boats. Good looking but no Malibu :)