Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Ratios 2017 vs 2016 vs earlier Upgrade Questions.

The Hulk

On 8/9/2016 at 5:26 PM, The Hulk said:

I also found myself having to force myself to stay further back and one point I thought ohh there is no way I'll catch this wave again and sure enough I wish I could drive in another boat to look over and be able to compare the distance we are compared to others.. I want to bump it up past 11mph to see how long I can get it. FYI I tried a phase 5 carbon board been lickin my chops on one but does not even begin to compare to the Hyperlite shim.  The Hyperlite nearly doubles the rideable wave compared to every board I've tried. IMO nothing compares if u want to ramp/jump/spin/ride far back. U can now pick up blems for $350 trust me on this one! Bad thing about the 25lsv is my 360 attempts kept turning into 720s I'm sure I might be able to catch the wave again on a 720 now as before I just couldn't catch it.. so a 720 is my GOAL! 

I just rode the Hyperlite Shim and the Phase 5 Model-X on the same day and IMO I thought there was no comparison. I had to work twice as hard to get the Shim to move. I saw my friend ride the Shim and he looked miserable trying to move forward and stay up with the wave...it took him so much effort. I felt the same way, I was using so much strength just to get the board to move where I wanted it to. But then, I stepped on the Model-X and it glides with little to no effort. Put weight on your front foot and it will quickly go forward and then put weight on your back foot and you can easily ride the back part of the wave. IMO the Model X, which has a very similiar shape and same size, was far superior. I guess I should be a spokesperson for Phase 5. I love them.

On 7/29/2016 at 1:07 PM, IXFE said:

In a 2016 Malibu the solution to 4k rpm's is NOT to get the torque prop (2249).  Standard prop (2277) will do just fine with the new transmission.  I run this prop and it's great.  We surf with 4k in ballast in the 23 LSV and RPM's are mid 3's.  And that's with the standard 410 engine and I've got plenty of throttle left.

I even go a little further using the 2401 (17.75 pitch) on a 2016 23 lsv 410hp at 1000 ft. We keep our rpms right at 3000 when surfing fully loaded, but if you fill the 750lbs. bags in the rear, you'll need to make sure you got weight up front to place the prop in a more horizontal postition or you may not reach 10 -11 mph. 

6 hours ago, The Hulk said:

ill have to dry the model X now! your costing me money! haha

The Danielo Diamond is great too. I have one on its way. The Model X belongs to my son and he likes to be the only one to use it. Kids these days?

23 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

@mrnate450r i it aslight weight? Sharp edges on bottm? 

Yes, it is lightweight. What do you mean sharp edges? It's not rounded on the bottom if that is what you are asking. I have ridden it with my 30+lbs son on the board as well. It is a crazy fast board! 

6 hours ago, mrnate450r said:

Yes, it is lightweight. What do you mean sharp edges? It's not rounded on the bottom if that is what you are asking. I have ridden it with my 30+lbs son on the board as well. It is a crazy fast board! 

Awesome!  What I've found to me is that the bottom edge being sharper means I'm able to ride further back or faster etc.. Larger/longer pocket.. All boards I've tried with a rounded bottom/side edge seem very slow and drags/sinks. 

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

Awesome!  What I've found to me is that the bottom edge being sharper means I'm able to ride further back or faster etc.. Larger/longer pocket.. All boards I've tried with a rounded bottom/side edge seem very slow and drags/sinks. 

This will be one of the fastest boards you've ridden. Guaranteed! 

On 8/24/2016 at 7:47 PM, The Hulk said:

Did u have the model X 53 or 58" what weight are u guys. 

I ordered the Danielo Diamond in a 54 and it is rated up to 195. I weigh 185. The Model-X is a 53 and it works fine for me although it's rated at 185. My son is about 50 lbs lighter and works great for him. I rode the shim my first ride this past weekend, then I got one my son's Model-X and it was so much fun that it convinced me to get the Daneilo Diamond even though I have a Phase 5 Race too. I love the versatility of the skim style boards and any of the Phase 5's are super fun.

@bbattiste247 @mrnate450r have either of you tried the hammerhead 64? that was the one i tried and thought it didnt compare to the hyperlite shim. i'll probably go with the larger Model X since i'm 220lbs and we have some other riders around that range. whats differenc mainly between model x or the danielo diamond ? either of them better for 360's?

The Hammerhead only comes in a 50, 53, and new this year 55. I rode the 53 last year, and hated it because I was too big for the board. The Diamond is a pure skim board. Slicker than snot! My buddy, who is a P5 Rep, rides the Diamond and the 55 Hammerhead. I prefer the X because it feels a little more locked it, but breaks loose when you ask it to. And, it's better for my weight. Less effort to ride=more time riding!