Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Ratios 2017 vs 2016 vs earlier Upgrade Questions.

The Hulk

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

Whenever I have trouble making a decision like this, I remind myself that, because it's hard to choose, there's not an absolute right or wrong, either one is ok.

first world problems.. 

well the wife reminded me she has to look at it, so the 2016 it is... 

question: for the 2017 models swinging 17" prop with more clearance does that mean the draft increases 6" or more i would assume, since there is several inches to spare even with a 17" prop? with the new 17-strut that makes me belive the draft has to be considerably deeper vs the 2016?

2016 on site says 27" so i am assuming at a minimum the 2017 must be at least 30+?

Edited by The Hulk
1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I agree with you Hulk, I don't think I could pass up the G4, PTM racks, and sick color combo. I am confident there is a prop out there to do exactly what you want the boat to do.

Agreed! not to mention 15" props are quite a bit cheaper!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MadMan said:

Whenever I have trouble making a decision like this, I remind myself that, because it's hard to choose, there's not an absolute right or wrong, either one is ok.

Totally incorrect.  The 2016 blows

If it makes you feel any better Hulk, we have been going through the same decision (2016 vs 2017 with the 17" prop).

2016 25 LSV - 450, G4, Quad Speakers, PTM racks, Power Lift Seat,  Soft Grip Floor, Backup Camera, Wake Makers custom bags & Dock & Underwater lights VS. stripped down 2017 with G3 & non of the other options the 2017 has just to get close to the price of the 2016 due to the 10% increase in the base cost of the 2017.  

We hope to get out on the water in the 2016 with 2277 prop this week.  We will probably end up where you are and go with the 2016 because it costs less and is loaded vs stripped down.  We have been in a 2016 25 LV with the 575 and Wakemaker customs filling the entire locker and no bow weight and it put out a heck of a wave without terrible bow rise.  Hoping the 450 will handle this weight with the 2277 prop vs going with the 2249 to save a few RPMs.

Just now, store934 said:

If it makes you feel any better Hulk, we have been going through the same decision (2016 vs 2017 with the 17" prop).

2016 25 LSV - 450, G4, Quad Speakers, PTM racks, Power Lift Seat,  Soft Grip Floor, Backup Camera, Wake Makers custom bags & Dock & Underwater lights VS. stripped down 2017 with G3 & non of the other options the 2017 has just to get close to the price of the 2016 due to the 10% increase in the base cost of the 2017.  

We hope to get out on the water in the 2016 with 2277 prop this week.  We will probably end up where you are and go with the 2016 because it costs less and is loaded vs stripped down.  We have been in a 2016 25 LV with the 575 and Wakemaker customs filling the entire locker and no bow weight and it put out a heck of a wave without terrible bow rise.  Hoping the 450 will handle this weight with the 2277 prop vs going with the 2249 to save a few RPMs.

well glad someone else is in my "boat" ha. yes exactly loaded vs stripped down. what kills me is that like you said your paying like 10k more for the "base options" becausue its the next year... and they are stripping down all the 17s just to keep cost comparable and the first thing to always go is the tower, additional speakers, options and so on.. honestly the 10k/yr price hike is getting out of control IMO. from a mfg standpoint in most industries "options" is where you make a killing profit wise... unless they are getting so expensive that stripped down boats are becoming the norm in 17 and newer? I'm seeing a TON of Bus now that are base engines and G4, or upgraded 450 and G3.5: which makes me belive the majority of boats purchased for stock by dealers in "most" areas are hitting a limit on price points. 

the fact that above shows you can throw a 2401 (15"x17.75") and get rpms down on a 23lsv with only a 410hp makes me believe a 450hp should be slightly better handling that and if the comments on a 25lsv needing less bow weight to keep nose down are true, then it could be a golden ticket. frankly i think the best prop based on this thread would be something like a 15" x 16.75, i'd have to check with OJ on that or if anyone knows something close to that. 

with my 2013 G3.0 tower or the G3.5 i'm going to be stuck taking boards on/off everytime i pull in and out of the lift and well i've forgotten several times and ouch on the boards.. Also it would sway my decision if i knew i could fit under our bridge with the G3.5, i can with my G3 on a 2013 23lsv but in 2014 the top of the boats rose about 3-4", so that puts me right at the limit under the bridge at high water, and a 25 could very well be another 1-2" above the 23 lsv height (who knows) thanks malibu for not posting all info!!!!... so thats just so close i may still have to put tower down even with the 2017 with G3.5. I know for sure the G4 is 3-4" taller yet than the 3.5, so i will more than likely have to lower regardless of which tower. The G4 is way nicer to lower IMO and easier so the wife could do it... and the self locking when raising back up is nice because even she can do it.. the G3.5 i know its way better than G3 but from what i understand it doesnt self lock like the G4.. .that creates a hassle especially if 2-way traffic coming under a narrow bridge in a busy area next to restaurants/bars and a boat ramp so the last thing i want to mess with is driving + tower. G4 ensures she can do it and again i can swivel boards in for the boat lift without hitting speakers like they do on the G3-series.

bottom line people on this site are more "hard core" than 99% of Boat owners, so i feel the G4, more options, better color scheme is probably going to allow the boat to move more easily down the road if i ever had to sell private party, although i'll probably just trade it in before the 5yr warranty to get another 5yr warranty boat and who knows what they will have by then perhaps they will be a 3:1 tranny throwing 24" props!

I may never know the 2:1 and 17" performance..Again using a prop slip calc i found online the slips all come out within around 5-6% of each other so is there truely that big of difference? prop slip does not take into account diameter from what i've seen online.

one thing i pondered last night (dreaming up some theory to support my reasoning on the 2016) so it could be all wrong: but if you have narrower but faster thrust to generate "x" force, vs larger but slower thrust to generate the same "x" force .. "x" force being required to push a boat of whatever weight at whatever speed. is there any consideration and this is way off in left field that the faster thrust under water could possibly generate a firmer wake in that there is MORE water or water at a faster speed passing under the wave or surf board from the prop thrust? while it may take slightly longer to get to surf speed but then when you are there, could a 10mph difference in "prop-wash-thrust" actually help the wave feel firmer or "pull" the water at the bottom of the wave under more to help curl the wave better? might need to have the folks at the Navy ship lab test that "hulk" theory... 

i dont know the best way to explain it but think of an ocean wave as the wave gets to shallow grounds the bottom water slows and the top moving faster crests over, but in our case the prop-wash is moving faster the other direction (under water) allowing the top of the wave to crest over more? while i know the surf board is not riding directly over the prop wash but rather to the side but i wonder if it does help create the impression of a firmer ride or (less sinking) feeling in that you have water moving faster underneath.. Again way off in left park theories (only to support my 2016 decisions) =)

But hey....then again some say this boat has a better wave than bamaboy's anyway =) :whistle:  so what good is that 2:1 and 17" if you aint got the best wave? haha. I guess i will have to take Bamaboy up on a ride or bring my boat up there to have a surf off!

1 hour ago, DarkSide said:

The good thing is 16/17 has same running surface, same interior, etc.  Really only running gear changed, so saving $$$$ is a good thing IF the 450 will do what you want it to.

in my situation the stripped 2017 is actually a little cheaper... but not worth it to loose all the options so that tells you how big the option difference is... especially considering that a same for same 2017 costs 10k more than the same 2016.. 

Edited by The Hulk
49 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

Just remember you get to use PNP,  and a bow sack.  Bama gets no bow weight, no bags, just stock.?

not if i invite 19 of my closest friends... naaaa the bow sac is cheaper...

i am anxious to try mine and then a 2016 model G23... I was NOT impressed with the 2015 and below G23's i tried a 2014 a few yrs back and could NOT surf the stock wave. Bamma claims the 16 hull is much better... I'd like to try it someday to see!

42 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

not if i invite 19 of my closest friends... naaaa the bow sac is cheaper...

i am anxious to try mine and then a 2016 model G23... I was NOT impressed with the 2015 and below G23's i tried a 2014 a few yrs back and could NOT surf the stock wave. Bamma claims the 16 hull is much better... I'd like to try it someday to see!

You must be really bad Hulk! JK, We have a '14 G23 and even I can surf it stock, something must have been off on your demo. Back to your dilemma, which is not a bad one to be in. Somehow, I would demo a '17 with the 2:1 before making a decision. Good luck!

21 hours ago, The Hulk said:

But hey....then again some say this boat has a better wave than bamaboy's anyway =) :whistle:  so what good is that 2:1 and 17" if you aint got the best wave? haha. I guess i will have to take Bamaboy up on a ride or bring my boat up there to have a surf off!

Guys that love a mushy SG wave, love this one :)

On 7/29/2016 at 5:21 PM, IXFE said:

This is GREAT info. Since I run a 650 bow sack I bet I'd be fine with the 2401. 

Your assesment is accurate. When all the weight is in the back, your prop can only make you go so fast when it's aimed at the bottom of the lake. Get a bow sack and see what happens!  Your surf wave will improve dramatically as well!

EA02CC38-9911-4481-BC1C-A878F7F48D98_zps

Do u have something plumbed for filling bow sac easier?  Looks like a standard hose from a tsunami portable pump but looks like it's coming out from under the side? 

18 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Do u have something plumbed for filling bow sac easier?  Looks like a standard hose from a tsunami portable pump but looks like it's coming out from under the side? 

Yes, I have my bow bag plumbed to a reversible pump that's mounted by the transmission. I have a switch in the walk thru that turns it on and off. 

There is a fitting mounted up under the gunnel in the bow (hidden above the cup holders). That's where I attach/detach the hose you see. 

So it's as simple as 

1) pull empty bag out of rear locker (hose is attached)

2) spread out the bag in the bow and connect the hose to the fitting under the gunnel 

3) flip the switch in the walk thru and water rushes into the bag!!

i highly recommend this for guys wanting bow ballast (i.e. everybody with a surfgate boat running more than 550's in the rear lockers). 

Just ask @Stevo

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Yes, I have my bow bag plumbed to a reversible pump that's mounted by the transmission. I have a switch in the walk thru that turns it on and off. 

There is a fitting mounted up under the gunnel in the bow (hidden above the cup holders). That's where I attach/detach the hose you see. 

So it's as simple as 

1) pull empty bag out of rear locker (hose is attached)

2) spread out the bag in the bow and connect the hose to the fitting under the gunnel 

3) flip the switch in the walk thru and water rushes into the bag!!

i highly recommend this for guys wanting bow ballast (i.e. everybody with a surfgate boat running more than 550's in the rear lockers). 

Just ask @Stevo

I love this Mod, and wish I did it 2yrs ago

switch hidden in the walkway cutout

4A7A0095-E3BC-49E3-9041-38F10647CD44_zps

7DC65B33-F637-49C3-A124-5B480EF0A70A_zps

I had had to make the bracket that attaches to the threaded bolts up in the gunnel, but it is quite simple.

I had some scrap 316 stainless and drilled 2 holes for the bolts (attached lock washers and nuts) 

Here is IXFE's bracket ,  I didn't take a picture of mine 

E75AF7CB-B961-4A49-B935-1DC0B3519CAA_zps

Edited by Stevo

+1.  On my winter list without a doubt.  It's not that throwing a pump over the side is THAT big of a deal, but it's a "stop and deal with it" kind of thing, where throwing the bag on the plumbed line takes like 30 seconds and you can fill while you cruise across the lake.

Just now, shawndoggy said:

+1.  On my winter list without a doubt.  It's not that throwing a pump over the side is THAT big of a deal, but it's a "stop and deal with it" kind of thing, where throwing the bag on the plumbed line takes like 30 seconds and you can fill while you cruise across the lake.

Other than making the bracket it took me probably less than 2 hrs.

ill PM you about the plug fitting.

@The Hulk

The 25 LSV is 2" taller than the current 23 LSV. True story... Confirmed at the factory 

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say that the G4 is "self locking."  The G4 is nice but it doesn't do anything by itself. When you raise it, you have to lock it yourself by pushing the silver handles in. It's super easy, and the tower won't fall down while you're trying to do it. But it doesn't "self lock"

Also, when talking about your wife doing it... Have you had her try?  If so, then great. If not, I suggest you do that. The G4 is heavy and it takes a bit of muscle to initiate the drop or the lift. 

What makes the G4 easy is that it stays wherever you leave it. It's not prone to dropping on its own or raising on its own (even if you let go when it's half way down). This fact alone could make a big difference for you... when you have to cross under a bridge, just release the handles and lower the tower the 4-6" you need and let it "float" at that height while you cross underneath the bridge. It won't move from that spot. No need to drop it all the way down where it will be in the driver's way. 

Last thought... I realize the '16 drivetrain may not be the 2:1 17" combo we all dream of, but I gotta say, it's pretty stout. I have zero complaints. And if you ever want to experiment with a bigger prop, there's easily enough room to fit a 16" prop under there. Just sayin...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

@The Hulk

The 25 LSV is 2" taller than the current 23 LSV. True story... Confirmed at the factory 

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say that the G4 is "self locking."  The G4 is nice but it doesn't do anything by itself. When you raise it, you have to lock it yourself by pushing the silver handles in. It's super easy, and the tower won't fall down while you're trying to do it. But it doesn't "self lock"

Also, when talking about your wife doing it... Have you had her try?  If so, then great. If not, I suggest you do that. The G4 is heavy and it takes a bit of muscle to initiate the drop or the lift. 

What makes the G4 easy is that it stays wherever you leave it. It's not prone to dropping on its own or raising on its own (even if you let go when it's half way down). This fact alone could make a big difference for you... when you have to cross under a bridge, just release the handles and lower the tower the 4-6" you need and let it "float" at that height while you cross underneath the bridge. It won't move from that spot. No need to drop it all the way down where it will be in the driver's way. 

Last thought... I realize the '16 drivetrain may not be the 2:1 17" combo we all dream of, but I gotta say, it's pretty stout. I have zero complaints. And if you ever want to experiment with a bigger prop, there's easily enough room to fit a 16" prop under there. Just sayin...

this is spot on! thanks

well ladies i picked her up today! awesome.. will upload pics in a bit.. .but after spending a day at the dealer i learned the following.

1. i could not refuse all the upgrades on the 2016 vs stripped 2017.. the power seat is a deal breaker if the wifey is driving...a must have... 

2. the Dealer mentioned that the G3.5 is more than likely taller than the older G3s as it uses similar/taller base like the G4, so while it use to be like 4" difference he was pretture sure its less than that, i cant confirm but in a quick  glance it does appear the 3.5 is slightly taller than the older G3s

3. if you have double speakers on the G3s you have to move the racks to lower mount and even then the board in the top rack will hit speakers you would have to flip them so the wider one is on the bottom if you wanted to swing all the way in an clear... another deal breaker for me... 

4. The G3.5 is far better than before its soooo spring loaded that it in fact will go back UP if you let go, it is also slightly easier to pull down than the G4. as mentioned the G4 you need to give it a good pull or for the ladies probably hang on it. the 3.5 would be very easy to "hold" down while driving under a bridge or pull down and drive. but in thinking of this more that means only one hand on the wheel what if you need to touch the throttle...well good luck... but the G4 stays PUT so if your all by yourself just pull it down a little let go and then drive as necessary its not moving anywhere.

5. while the g3.5 seemed spring loaded to go back up, the one i tried had NO boards and only 2 speakers, but it did have some good spring to it so i figure it would be ok with extra speakers and 2-boards...but given the above another PLUS for the G4 even though its slightly harder to get started the fact it stays put means a single person can then focus on driving rather than holding + driving with the 3.5

6. the shaft  ANGLE IS in fact different on the 2016 and 2017... the angle is steeper on the 2017 with the 17" prop so YES the prop is facing towards the bottom of the lake more. i didnt get to try it as i was already sold so much on the 2016 it wasn't even worth considering. if i threw all the options on the 2017 id be +$25-30k My guess is the steeper angle helps push the bow down but if you have a lot of weight int he back you would then be hurting yourself at some point. So again this makes me believe there is an equal setup for smaller/faster vs larger/slower props and pitches. yes the larger props probably are slightly better for slightly less slip but..... is that all eaten up by less efficient FWD motion ????? I may be wrong but IMO it probably does... the problem again too little testing on same setups with too few props out there... time will tell.. 

7. testing: was just rep and I, Plus custom 750s in back (yes they were 750s i think at least a lot bigger than my old 550s for sure) so i'm guessing they are the 750s... bow rise seemed just fine and seemed like there was plenty of power left with a 15"x14.25" prop, but it was only us and half tank of gas. if i were to ride with only 2-3 then i'd probably add my bow sac or some extra somewhere, (i may buy a bag for under the surf side seats in case we are low on ppl we can fill that up to simulate people sitting on surf side. .. now with 19ppl in the boat (jk) i'm not sure what she would have left... from dead stop to surf speed i felt was extremely good and i think i could pitch up easily but we did NOT have a 2227 to try ....that will be my first one to try and i think something in the 16.75 will end up being perfect if you ask me.. but we'll see. 

8. ohh and the wave is just stupid.. even running light weight (better than the G23's  i've been on but again those were all pre 2016 models... I now have to get a 25ft rope because the boat is so long and the surf wave is so far back. =)

9. does look like there is room to swing a 16" easily, although i'm going to stick with my theory of smaller with higher pitch being better and go against everyone else's thinking at least for some trials.. 

ahopkins22LSV

@The Hulk awesome man! Sounds exactly like my experience with that boat! I don't think you will need to bias any weight to either surf side. Unless I misunderstood you and we're just going to have bags under the seats just incase you had a small crew and fill them both, then that will for sure make the wave even better! Trust me the wave just gets better and better as more weight is added!

I did have 19 people in the boat at one point and I still got to 11mph no problem. Just as you described it. 

On 7/29/2016 at 5:21 PM, IXFE said:

This is GREAT info. Since I run a 650 bow sack I bet I'd be fine with the 2401. 

Your assesment is accurate. When all the weight is in the back, your prop can only make you go so fast when it's aimed at the bottom of the lake. Get a bow sack and see what happens!  Your surf wave will improve dramatically as well!

1 hour ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@The Hulk awesome man! Sounds exactly like my experience with that boat! I don't think you will need to bias any weight to either surf side. Unless I misunderstood you and we're just going to have bags under the seats just incase you had a small crew and fill them both, then that will for sure make the wave even better! Trust me the wave just gets better and better as more weight is added!

I did have 19 people in the boat at one point and I still got to 11mph no problem. Just as you described it. 

Not sure I had 19 friends ... well...until yesterday when I pulled up!

• Like 1

tested the boat out with 13+ ppl in the boat yesterday... its was super choppy out so not the best time to surf but hey I couldn’t resist.

Wave: Massive, crazy..super long! LOVE IT!!! we had 13 adults 3 tods and full tank + custom 750s in each rear locker. Bow rise was hardly any but had 2 adults up front.(less than my 23lsv).  RPMS were around 4100-4200 even with all that weight (depending on surf speed 10.6-11mph)

Throttling up to surf speed was quick and seemed like there was still some power left, again i will prop up to the 2277 first chance i get in the next week or two. 

Now i must say coming from a 1.25:1 with a 555hp and from a 23lsv that was a rocket this new 25lsv is a BEAST of a boat... kind of reminds me of the difference between when i went from a MC Prostar 190 closed bow to my 23 LSV .. the 23 lsv felt huge... This feels all of that much bigger as well. I noticed especially at the sandbar trying to move this beast around... might have to use 3-augers now instead of 2, its just a BIG boat.  

I must say I will miss cruising at much higher speeds with the old boat: before when I was at 3k rpms id be up in the low 30s mph without a loud engine noise, ... the cruising speed for this boat seems comfortable in the 20mph range before it gets too loud and noisy etc.... much higher rpms than my old boat but obviously with a 1.76 vs. a 1.25 and a lower pitch prop what do you expect.. One thing i love is how big and smooth it was, (still not a deep v) but the extra mass and size really makes for a smooth ride, granted we were loaded with 13+ppl but it was awesome and i feel like King of the lake…. its BIG!.. and with the blue sparkles it draws some attention in the sunlight! wife loves it.

Now the extra room in this beast is awesome, deeper storage, nifty trash lid in the side that goes to a trash can is great!, But whats up with the funky shaped trash can? Do we have to buy some custom malibu trash bags now?? Not sure is there is some funky trash bag or anything will fit that weird thing. I do wish it had a cooler in the floor like the G23 but honestly we keep our cooler out anyway and i'm thinking if it was in the floor it probably would be about the same as under a seat…. you still have to move people to access it. So one huge advantage of this bigger boat is being able to keep our cooler out and not really have it in the way due to all the extra room in this thing. Granted 80% of the time it will be two toddlers and my wife and I, but with kids the extra room is awesome! Who needs a pontoon now!

I'll have to get use to docking her as the throttle is not quite as responsive as on the smaller 23 obviously so it will take some getting use to. It does have a neat “docking mode” which makes the throttle LESS responsive so you don’t jolt it into the dock, perhaps this is useful on the smaller Bu’s because on this beast its not like its going to move so quickly like a smaller boat.

Our lake is about 18” low right now, i'm having to park at the edge of the sandbar and getting in on the lift is going to be a problem in the very near future if we don’t get any raing. I'll probably have to go out another 20ft on the dock shortly if we don’t get any rain, although I was at this delima last year as well. For some reason this boat seems like it requires more depth even though the specs are similar, (even when it was empty) anyhow this brings me back to being very happy I chose the 2016 model as the 2017 requires several more inches for draft due to steeper shaft angle and larger prop etc.

I'm not sure if the G3.5 tower/ Bimini gets all the cool features like the one on the G4 but i found some nice pouches underneath that have a mesh which is nice for gloves/ropes and things to dry out, i also LOVE the fact you can strap boards to the top of the Bimini … also works great to hold our sandbar augers as well. PTM racks…to die for… I hated those bungee cords! Oh and being able to swivel them inwards for going into the lift….aaaawwesome!

Tower update: for some reason the tower seems to spring back UP so I’m updating my previous post where it seemed to stay put, need to check on this if popping out the yellow only instead of the red makes this different? Not sure didn’t get much time to play with it. I did notice though with the Bimini out that when you lower the tower the front of the bimini hits the windshield at a point the back of the bimini kicks up to where I think you only gain about 2” of lowering height when measuring off the top of my boat lift canopy this is what I found to be the case, now obviously if you take the bimini down you can go much lower. (somewhat of a bummer) since I never put my bimini down… at least it’s a bit easier than the older ones..

Next things to add are: 3-port heater up front (probably 1 port for under driver and 2 pull out hoses) then add a 2-port heater for the back I think 1-port output and 1-pull out; this is how the dealer said they normally do 2-heater setups, (please chime in if you have better ideas?) I’ll also add the table option which I guess attaches the side now? Not sure exactly, and I may add a shower. I will also add the 2017 style top deck grip which is now the nice “foam” not the thin sand-paper grip tape of the past.. and as well the 2277 prop for a go.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

tested the boat out with 13+ ppl in the boat yesterday... its was super choppy out so not the best time to surf but hey I couldn’t resist.

Wave: Massive, crazy..super long! LOVE IT!!! we had 13 adults 3 tods and full tank + custom 750s in each rear locker. Bow rise was hardly any but had 2 adults up front.(less than my 23lsv).  RPMS were around 4100-4200 even with all that weight (depending on surf speed 10.6-11mph)

Throttling up to surf speed was quick and seemed like there was still some power left, again i will prop up to the 2277 first chance i get in the next week or two. 

Now i must say coming from a 1.25:1 with a 555hp and from a 23lsv that was a rocket this new 25lsv is a BEAST of a boat... kind of reminds me of the difference between when i went from a MC Prostar 190 closed bow to my 23 LSV .. the 23 lsv felt huge... This feels all of that much bigger as well. I noticed especially at the sandbar trying to move this beast around... might have to use 3-augers now instead of 2, its just a BIG boat.  

I must say I will miss cruising at much higher speeds with the old boat: before when I was at 3k rpms id be up in the low 30s mph without a loud engine noise, ... the cruising speed for this boat seems comfortable in the 20mph range before it gets too loud and noisy etc.... much higher rpms than my old boat but obviously with a 1.76 vs. a 1.25 and a lower pitch prop what do you expect.. One thing i love is how big and smooth it was, (still not a deep v) but the extra mass and size really makes for a smooth ride, granted we were loaded with 13+ppl but it was awesome and i feel like King of the lake…. its BIG!.. and with the blue sparkles it draws some attention in the sunlight! wife loves it.

Now the extra room in this beast is awesome, deeper storage, nifty trash lid in the side that goes to a trash can is great!, But whats up with the funky shaped trash can? Do we have to buy some custom malibu trash bags now?? Not sure is there is some funky trash bag or anything will fit that weird thing. I do wish it had a cooler in the floor like the G23 but honestly we keep our cooler out anyway and i'm thinking if it was in the floor it probably would be about the same as under a seat…. you still have to move people to access it. So one huge advantage of this bigger boat is being able to keep our cooler out and not really have it in the way due to all the extra room in this thing. Granted 80% of the time it will be two toddlers and my wife and I, but with kids the extra room is awesome! Who needs a pontoon now!

I'll have to get use to docking her as the throttle is not quite as responsive as on the smaller 23 obviously so it will take some getting use to. It does have a neat “docking mode” which makes the throttle LESS responsive so you don’t jolt it into the dock, perhaps this is useful on the smaller Bu’s because on this beast its not like its going to move so quickly like a smaller boat.

Our lake is about 18” low right now, i'm having to park at the edge of the sandbar and getting in on the lift is going to be a problem in the very near future if we don’t get any raing. I'll probably have to go out another 20ft on the dock shortly if we don’t get any rain, although I was at this delima last year as well. For some reason this boat seems like it requires more depth even though the specs are similar, (even when it was empty) anyhow this brings me back to being very happy I chose the 2016 model as the 2017 requires several more inches for draft due to steeper shaft angle and larger prop etc.

I'm not sure if the G3.5 tower/ Bimini gets all the cool features like the one on the G4 but i found some nice pouches underneath that have a mesh which is nice for gloves/ropes and things to dry out, i also LOVE the fact you can strap boards to the top of the Bimini … also works great to hold our sandbar augers as well. PTM racks…to die for… I hated those bungee cords! Oh and being able to swivel them inwards for going into the lift….aaaawwesome!

Tower update: for some reason the tower seems to spring back UP so I’m updating my previous post where it seemed to stay put, need to check on this if popping out the yellow only instead of the red makes this different? Not sure didn’t get much time to play with it. I did notice though with the Bimini out that when you lower the tower the front of the bimini hits the windshield at a point the back of the bimini kicks up to where I think you only gain about 2” of lowering height when measuring off the top of my boat lift canopy this is what I found to be the case, now obviously if you take the bimini down you can go much lower. (somewhat of a bummer) since I never put my bimini down… at least it’s a bit easier than the older ones..

Next things to add are: 3-port heater up front (probably 1 port for under driver and 2 pull out hoses) then add a 2-port heater for the back I think 1-port output and 1-pull out; this is how the dealer said they normally do 2-heater setups, (please chime in if you have better ideas?) I’ll also add the table option which I guess attaches the side now? Not sure exactly, and I may add a shower. I will also add the 2017 style top deck grip which is now the nice “foam” not the thin sand-paper grip tape of the past.. and as well the 2277 prop for a go.

Nice write up, how far back would you say it goes? I ve heard rumors