Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Ratios 2017 vs 2016 vs earlier Upgrade Questions.

The Hulk

1 hour ago, The Hulk said:

I mean is there seriously that much prop slip when surfing? 

On my boat with a 1.5 gear ratio, 16" prop, cruising at 3500rpm, my speed is 31mph.  The theoretical speed should be:

(3500 *16 * 60)/(12 * 1.5 * 5280) = 35mph.  Prop slip is (35-31)/35 = 11.4%

Surfing at 10.5 mph at 2800 rpm, 3200lbs ballast:

(2800 * 16 * 60)/(12 * 1.5 * 5280) = 28mph.   Prop slip is (28-10.5)/28 = 63%

Speeds are probably off because they are not GPS, but close enough for this calc.

I've got the 2016 VLX 22.  I'm running a new design OJ 925 right now.  15x16.25.  That was after trying a Acme 2249, OJ 948, OJ 905, OJ 912.  The 925 gives me a cruising speed of 27-28mph at 3500rpm.  Cruising at most efficient speed I'm at about 3200 rpm or so.  Much quieter ride.  When I surf I have the custom Wakemakers all full in the rear (~700lbs each they say) and a Sumo 675 in the bow.  Wedge is a couple pie slices down from ramp and there is so much wave and I am turning the same RPMs as the 2249 the boat came with at 10.8mph.  And I get a quieter ride and more top end.  I'm at 700' altitude.  

ahopkins22LSV

@The Hulk if the plug and play bags were 550's they are the biggest 550's I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they were 750's. They took up about 75% of the rear compartment.  My friend has a 23lsv, running 550's and they look much smaller then what was in the 25. 

4 hours ago, MadMan said:

On my boat with a 1.5 gear ratio, 16" prop, cruising at 3500rpm, my speed is 31mph.  The theoretical speed should be:

(3500 *16 * 60)/(12 * 1.5 * 5280) = 35mph.  Prop slip is (35-31)/35 = 11.4%

Surfing at 10.5 mph at 2800 rpm, 3200lbs ballast:

(2800 * 16 * 60)/(12 * 1.5 * 5280) = 28mph.   Prop slip is (28-10.5)/28 = 63%

Speeds are probably off because they are not GPS, but close enough for this calc.

I figured about 64% for my 2013, but when I use a prop slip calculator I get 60-70% for all the prop pitches and rpm and transmissions I try.. so the question is how big of translation is 5-10% prop slip ...

The calculation does not take into account for prop diameter. . Which then leads me to believe there is an equal equation of smaller diameter increased pitch vs larger diameter and smaller pitch and also the same thing for transmission in regards to those and prop rpms etc... there are limited props and limited same boat tests obviously nobody, is going to run the same test on the same boat with the same way and switch out transmissions and props and pitches..but would pretty much provide everything everyone would ever want to know! Ha

Edited by The Hulk
On 7/29/2016 at 2:52 PM, The Hulk said:

So u think in a 2013 25LSV with 1.76 and 450 hp tad more than the 410 I might be alright throwing that 2401 might have just enough without the bow sac although I'll have one

I have the 2016 23 lsv with the 410 and I am running the 2401. We surf 90% of the time and we will fill the 2x750lbs rear sacks and run the wedge at 2 from stow. It has a hard time reaching 11 mph, but when I put +500lbs in the bow it has no problem reaching the needed speed. I did notice that with weight up front, the wedge doesn't seem to change things much; the nose of the boat seems to stay at about the same height.

I really like the 2401 prop, but we are only 1000 feet above the sea. Some may not like it, but as I have posted many times this prop cuts down on the engine/tranny noise and lowers rpms significantly. We can cruise across the lake comfortably with little noise because the rpms are not reaching 5500. We seldom go over 4000 rpms and surf at 3000 - 3200 rmps loaded.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Slurpee said:

I've got the 2016 VLX 22.  I'm running a new design OJ 925 right now.  15x16.25.  That was after trying a Acme 2249, OJ 948, OJ 905, OJ 912.  The 925 gives me a cruising speed of 27-28mph at 3500rpm.  Cruising at most efficient speed I'm at about 3200 rpm or so.  Much quieter ride.  When I surf I have the custom Wakemakers all full in the rear (~700lbs each they say) and a Sumo 675 in the bow.  Wedge is a couple pie slices down from ramp and there is so much wave and I am turning the same RPMs as the 2249 the boat came with at 10.8mph.  And I get a quieter ride and more top end.  I'm at 700' altitude.  

I've got a 2016 23 lsv and am running the 2401 (15x17.75). This prop may be overkill, but I make it work. The OJ 925 is probably just about right for the 410 Raptor with a 1.76 gear ratio. When I made the change, I didn't see the OJ 925 on any websites, or I may have gone with it. 

10 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I've got a 2016 23 lsv and am running the 2401 (15x17.75). This prop may be overkill, but I make it work. The OJ 925 is probably just about right for the 410 Raptor with a 1.76 gear ratio. When I made the change, I didn't see the OJ 925 on any websites, or I may have gone with it. 

Eric just designed it in the last month.  He's been working with me to find a prop that works.  He teased me with the 15x16.25 in the beginning but said it wasn't ready to be cut yet.  After a few props we thought the 912 was going to be the best, but wanted to try it anyways since we'd done so much data collection.  Turned out it's perfect..  Just write OJ Propellers if you want to order one.

16 hours ago, Stevo said:

It's not always about you Bama.

I was simply sharing my experience with combination of prop, tranny, motor and the results it produces.  

Don't make me go Kevin Sorbo on you

12 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I have the 2016 23 lsv with the 410 and I am running the 2401. We surf 90% of the time and we will fill the 2x750lbs rear sacks and run the wedge at 2 from stow. It has a hard time reaching 11 mph, but when I put +500lbs in the bow it has no problem reaching the needed speed. I did notice that with weight up front, the wedge doesn't seem to change things much; the nose of the boat seems to stay at about the same height.

I really like the 2401 prop, but we are only 1000 feet above the sea. Some may not like it, but as I have posted many times this prop cuts down on the engine/tranny noise and lowers rpms significantly. We can cruise across the lake comfortably with little noise because the rpms are not reaching 5500. We seldom go over 4000 rpms and surf at 3000 - 3200 rmps loaded.

i'm also thinking a 25 LSV bow might stay down a tad more than the 23 LSV (could be wrong) but it seems like its just and extended butt end of a 23lsv the boat isnt that much bigger if any....and with the little extra HP might be just fine throwing a 2401, 15x17.75. i'm probably ok with a few seconds more to hit surf speed, as currently with my 2013 23lsv with 555hp  1.25:1, and a 14.5x16 prop, if i slam it i pull the person over the board, and one bad issue is if you slam the throttle it reaches 10.8 too fast that the boat over-corrects to slow down so you actually hit surf speed, then slow down too much and then speed up again. (i dont have GPS speed control so not sure if that would help the situation or not) but again if it takes 2 seconds longer to hit surf speed who cares IMO as nobody is letting go of the rope within 5-10 seconds anyhow, a smoother transition might be better than having to go easy on the throttle like i do now anyway. and saving RPMS is huge to me, noise as well like you said. and obviously i cruise at 30+mph a ton when heading a few miles to over to resturants or getting places. we also idle around the lakes for hours on end as well 5mph or so. 

thinking about pulling the trigger if i do i may try all the above props. 

3 minutes ago, The Hulk said:

i'm also thinking a 25 LSV bow might stay down a tad more than the 23 LSV (could be wrong) but it seems like its just and extended butt end of a 23lsv the boat isnt that much bigger if any....and with the little extra HP might be just fine throwing a 2401, 15x17.75. i'm probably ok with a few seconds more to hit surf speed, as currently with my 2013 23lsv with 555hp  1.25:1, and a 14.5x16 prop, if i slam it i pull the person over the board, and one bad issue is if you slam the throttle it reaches 10.8 too fast that the boat over-corrects to slow down so you actually hit surf speed, then slow down too much and then speed up again. (i dont have GPS speed control so not sure if that would help the situation or not) but again if it takes 2 seconds longer to hit surf speed who cares IMO as nobody is letting go of the rope within 5-10 seconds anyhow, a smoother transition might be better than having to go easy on the throttle like i do now anyway. and saving RPMS is huge to me, noise as well like you said. and obviously i cruise at 30+mph a ton when heading a few miles to over to resturants or getting places. we also idle around the lakes for hours on end as well 5mph or so. 

thinking about pulling the trigger if i do i may try all the above props. 

The 2401 prop does not affect getting to surf speed at all. It is actually perfect for it as it is very smooth. Although, it does take a little longer to pull a wakeboarder out of the water with some ballast. When wakeboarding (seldom), we typically don't fill the sacks just the internal ballast and it seems to bog just a little. With 6+ adults in the boat, it takes a little longer to get on plane because the torque is not as powerful, but this also eliminates the whine in the engine/tranny that is so annoying.

28 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

The 2401 prop does not affect getting to surf speed at all. It is actually perfect for it as it is very smooth. Although, it does take a little longer to pull a wakeboarder out of the water with some ballast. When wakeboarding (seldom), we typically don't fill the sacks just the internal ballast and it seems to bog just a little. With 6+ adults in the boat, it takes a little longer to get on plane because the torque is not as powerful, but this also eliminates the whine in the engine/tranny that is so annoying.

we do ZERO wakeboarding so sounds like the prop to have... i have one of those strange wakeboard things in the garage, I would put it on my racks just to "look cool" if i didn't have to take the boards off to get into the boat lift. I may upgrade from a 122" to 144" wide boat lift so i dont have to swivel or take boards down next year but the last thing i want to deal with this late in the year is a dang boat lift.. Its easy to get 8ppl to come surfing but funny how they all vanish when the word boat lift comes up... 

Edited by The Hulk
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, bamaboy said:

My G23 fully loaded with full ballast and crew runs 3200 RPM surfing with a 450 HP DI 6.2L, 2:1 tranny and 17 x 17 prop.

It also has a top end of 41-42 mph.

Dang Son,    That's faster than a TXI

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, ahopkinsTXi said:

The 25 didn't need any additional bow weight with 750's in the back. FYI. 

That's cause you were riding in it

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
  • Like 3
23 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@The Hulk if the plug and play bags were 550's they are the biggest 550's I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they were 750's. They took up about 75% of the rear compartment.  My friend has a 23lsv, running 550's and they look much smaller then what was in the 25. 

Did they look like these??

I love my new 700's!

20160801_175032.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/29/2016 at 4:07 PM, IXFE said:

In a 2016 Malibu the solution to 4k rpm's is NOT to get the torque prop (2249).  Standard prop (2277) will do just fine with the new transmission.  I run this prop and it's great.  We surf with 4k in ballast in the 23 LSV and RPM's are mid 3's.  And that's with the standard 410 engine and I've got plenty of throttle left.

you mean the "solution to lower than 4k rpms i assume" ?

19 hours ago, gdmatson said:

Did they look like these??

I love my new 700's!

20160801_175032.jpg

when i looked at it last week it did not seem as if they came up that high, they may well have been 550s they were slight camels back to the top of the bags it wasnt quite full but for some reason they forgot to empty one side when they got it in the shop.. i didnt look that long either a 10-sec walk through on the boat was all.

Edited by The Hulk

Well ladies I'm gonna pull the trigger most likely on the 2016.:woot: Just hard to pass up the upgrades and G4 vs the newer 2017 trans. And the colors are sweet. Just wish it had the 2:1 but I'm sure it will be ok. G4 allows me to swing boards in without hitting speakers.  Huge to me.  I'm also a firm believer that there is a pretty close smaller 15 in prop with higher pitch 1.76 trans to match the larger prop 2:1. Etc.. from what I read surf is not affected as much as wakeboarding but we do zilch for that. 

10-20% surf time and tons of cruising so I think she's right for me. Testing her out Friday with a few different props any suggestions on props to test before deciding on which to take home?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Get the 2017.  I like the new Malibu logo on the side.  Throwback retro cool.

Why does this have to be such a hrd decision? Ahhhhhhhhh

Edited by The Hulk

It's 4am woke up sweating.. I cant sleep massive decision ....sweet colors and G4 no more smashing boards in boat lift and the wifeys fav "blue sparkles" flake...or.. g3.5 and 2:1 colors just ok but newer 2017. 

Ahhhhhh night terrors

Whenever I have trouble making a decision like this, I remind myself that, because it's hard to choose, there's not an absolute right or wrong, either one is ok.

• Like 2