Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 VTX vs. 2011 A22 Purchase

MaliBeer

First off I'm a new member to the Crew but I've been lurking awhile  Impressed with how welcoming this forum is.

Okay I'm getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on my first boat and I'm having a hard time deciding. 

The boats

1. 2010 VTX - G3 Tower w/led's but no speakers, swing racks.  Indmar 330, Rockford Fosgate stereo w/sub, no Maliview, power wedge, table, bimini and the sun pad walkover.  Ballast- two rear and one midship.  Tandem axle trailer no swing away tongue.  Had a dual battery switch but only saw one battery.  Super clean no damage or fading. 150 hrs.  Dealer actually has it in the showroom.  I couldn't get the power wedge to come back up after putting it down.

2. 2011 Axis A22 - This boat is far away (MD) so I haven't seen it in person. It seems like a pretty standard A22.  Indmar Monsoon 335, Fat Axe Tower, stock racks, speakers, led's, bimini, manual wedge, very nice trailer (custom wheels, swing away tongue) dual batteries, ballast with plug and play and aftermarket sacs, 385 hours.

3. Another 2011 A22 - this boat has high hours 670. It basically is identical to the other A22 minus plug and play. This boat is close to me and will probably give me a good feel for whether I will like Axis plus it's on the water and I could drive it and see the wake.

Now a little about us:

Family of 5 (three young kids) we like having friends on the boat. Budget is $40K. We like Malibu and Axis because there is a dealer close by our house and by the lake.  In order to consider bigger Malibu's (VLX, LSV) we'd have to go a bit older or worse condition.  I wakeboard and want to learn wake surfing. My oldest just started wakeboarding and wants to wake surf too.  There will be a fair amount of tubing and knee boarding also.  I don't ski but I'd like to give it a try.  Our friends all have pontoons so we will likely be the ones taking the kids out for tow sports.  Our lake does have some shallow spots so don't really want to go bigger than 22' maybe 23'. 

Here's what I have on each boat:

VTX - ? Great fit and finish, good lay out,  quality interior, power wedge, ability to do all tow sports, doesn't draft much. ? small, need to spend $ on amp and tower speakers. 

A22 - ?Great seating (15). I like the chillax seat. Wide bow (pickle fork) we'd probably stuff a bunch of kids up in there (oldest is 10).  Skybox is cool too. I like the snap out carpet.   ? I'm concerned about durability of the interior, basic amenities, manual wedge.

Some questions:

1. Do you VTX folks find it too small for two families with kids?  

2. What's a good amp and tower speakers gonna run me?

3. How bad is the A22 interior?  Durability?

4. I know the power wedge is more desirable but do you find it indispensable?

5. How is the stock Axis sound system? Does it have a sub?

6. Which boat has a better wake for kids (and adults) learning?

Thanks in advance. 

Power wedge will only retract while the boat is moving.  Only way to get it up on the trailer is to spin the paddlewheel with compressed air.

If you want to ski then it would be hard not to pick the VTX (make sure it is a diamond hull)

Snap out carpet is a big plus with kids, much easier to clean both the carpet and the rest of boat. I've got snapout in my VTX and wouldn't want to have the gluedown (like my last boat had)

1. Do you VTX folks find it too small for two families with kids?  I have 3 adult kids and it is plenty big for the up to 6 of us (wife, kids and one kids fiancé)  Full disclosure we are a tall but not wide bunch

4. I know the power wedge is more desirable but do you find it indispensable?  Nice to have but my inlaws LXI has a manual wedge and it is no big deal to use

One other comment - you don't "have to" spend money on amp and tower speakers, we have none and like it that way.

This is 5 adults in the boat, nobody in the bow and easily room for several more in the cabin

07262014_1_1024.jpg

Edited by oldjeep

I'll do my best on a couple of these:

1. Might be a bit tight, depending on how big the adults and how many kids.  My boat says it seats 11, and I don't think that'd ever happen comfortably.  4 average sized adults and 4 kids shouldn't be a problem though.  The only issue I run into is when I am trying to get things out of storage under seats and I keep asking people to get up.

4. Very nice for a convenience factor. and it's great that you can adjust it more than a couple of settings.

6. Better wake for what?  VTX would be better for skiing for sure, and I'm guessing they'd be comparable for wakeboarding.

23 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I'll do my best on a couple of these:

1. Might be a bit tight, depending on how big the adults and how many kids.  My boat says it seats 11, and I don't think that'd ever happen comfortably.  4 average sized adults and 4 kids shouldn't be a problem though.  The only issue I run into is when I am trying to get things out of storage under seats and I keep asking people to get up.

4. Very nice for a convenience factor. and it's great that you can adjust it more than a couple of settings.

6. Better wake for what?  VTX would be better for skiing for sure, and I'm guessing they'd be comparable for wakeboarding.

Better wake for beginning boarders.