Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

can you wakesurf behind a 1997 Malibu sunsetter VLX?...

maxwakesurfandboard

Absolutely can!  Won't be able to load the crazy amount of ballast these newer rigs with more freeboard do but you can probably get a great wave out of that thing.

thanks guys! Would i need weight?

i mean i know i will need a little but really how much do i need since it is a v drive

Yours is wake hull and no wedge so it's not apples to apples, but on our Diamond with wedge, I get a great wave, albeit a bit short, with 600 lbs in the rear locker, 3-400 lbs under the seat and another 400 lbs in the bow with wedge down.  I'm 250 lbs and can ride ropeless on that in a stiff headwind.  If I get more than 15 feet back from the platform I definitely risk losing the wave, but it's plenty long for slashing, small airs, and I'm sure with a skim board, plenty of spinning.  I actually like it better than my buddy's SG wave on his '13 VLX.

24 minutes ago, maxwakesurfandboard said:

thanks guys! Would i need weight?

i mean i know i will need a little but really how much do i need since it is a v drive

Assuming you don't have a wedge you'll need at least 750 in the rear surf corner and a bag in the middle ski locker and a few bodies in the bow.  That will give you a passable wake but not a good one.

Next step would be another 750 and a detachable gate - then a wedge then ....

Welcome Max.  You might want to look through the Ballast Info & How-to Forum on this site.  You'll learn a lot about options, parts, costs, etc.

Good news is that you're starting with a good hull and engine.  The other news is that if you really get into surfing you're looking at a new prop, bags, pumps, wedge (inverted hydrofoil behind the prop that came on Malibus starting in @2001??), surf gates (detachable or permanent).  Of course you'll need a board, and the smaller your wake the better the board you'll need.

The easiest way to get a potentially surf-able wake it to get lots of people on board and move them around.  They're easier to move and cheaper than ballast bags - unless they drink too much beer...  Even better if one of them is already a skilled surfer and can show you how.  Small wakes and beginners usually don't succeed together.

I have a 99ssvlx. I run 750s in each rear locker. Ski locker sack which is probably 500 full and a sack in the walk way filled to about 300-350 with a homemade suc gate and surf all day long. No wedge. 

This video the rear sacks where only about half way full due to them turning in the locker and venting early 

th_2900248B-E3C3-46BC-AD60-15E8B8C93C3F_

Same hull here.  We use 750 surf side with the boat listed,  500+ ski locker and 600 on the surf side (floor or seats) and move people to dial the wake. We also have the wedge down (Malibu's hydrofoil system to pull the back of the boat deeper into the water)

This weekend we will try the new "surfgate I built this week(many threads on this). Hope to be able to run both 750's in the back full, the center locker full and move the 600 up front, plus wedge.  Might not have enough prop for that though.

The first setup above for us has been tricky at times,but at others makes a very good surfable wake.  We just have a cheap hyperlite broadcast, the short one, and I can surf ropeless with ease at 210 lbs. Pocket isn't really big, but we do ok for a bunch of novices.

Of course you have to watch water that can come over the rear of your driver is a little inexperienced. Haven't had a bow dipping moment yet though

We surf our 1996 sunsetter VLX no problem. 500 on each side of the engine extra 500 on surf side in the cabin area and a homemade suction cup surf gate. Works great!

Yeah, v drives are the best for surfing and board sports.

Which prop do you have?  CNC?  Acme 381?  With the amount of weight folks are recommending here, you probably won't need a new prop if you have that one.  We have zero issues at all plodding along at 2300 RPM and making a great surf wave with our 381 and Monsoon.

We ran 540's in the rear lockers, an 800 across  the floor against the back seat, another 800 on the floor from the back up the walkway and a 650 bow sack on top of the two 800's.  We had a home made surf gate and a huge wake!  No room to sit or move but the wake was sweet.

Dave

It will surf very well if setup correctly, but doing that isn't cheap. I probably have one of the better surf waves of any SV23 hull. 3200lbs of ballast (all hidden) plus floating wedge, surf flap and a Faux-nix Eight.3 Wake Shaper.

If you try to surf on this hull with a slapped together setup with a few hundred pounds of ballast then don't even bother.  Wedge is a 100% must have as well. I promise it won't be cheap.