Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

which synthetic engine oil?

I'm thinking of switching to synthetic oil but it is hard to find the recommended 15W/40. Do you think it would be ok to go to a 5W/40 or would 10W/30 be better?

Where do you live mate? If AZ or FL and experiencing 128F degrees you will need a different potion to, say WA, ME, WI or NY.

How many hours are on your clock. I wouldn't be putting synthetic in before 100 hours. For me Mobil 1 is proving to be the ducks guts - the Hammerhead is quieter and winds out to 83km/h (52mph).

Some are professing a single viscosity oil but the Jury is definitely out on that IMO. I want a low startup viscosity so your 5W/40 is far better than 10W/30 I believe. It also gives more protection when things heat up.

I'm thinking of switching to synthetic oil but it is hard to find the recommended 15W/40. Do you think it would be ok to go to a 5W/40 or would 10W/30 be better?

Try this.......I'm an Amsoil dealer........

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/xlo.aspx

You really have several choices.......The Mobil 1 is great oil too......You really can't go wrong if stick with either of these......

Where do you live mate? If AZ or FL and experiencing 128F degrees you will need a different potion to, say WA, ME, WI or NY.

How many hours are on your clock. I wouldn't be putting synthetic in before 100 hours. For me Mobil 1 is proving to be the ducks guts - the Hammerhead is quieter and winds out to 83km/h (52mph).

Some are professing a single viscosity oil but the Jury is definitely out on that IMO. I want a low startup viscosity so your 5W/40 is far better than 10W/30 I believe. It also gives more protection when things heat up.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. It never gets anywhere near 128F degrees here, it may hit 100f degrees from time to time. The boat has about 400hrs on it.

Amsoil 15/40. I think that's what's going in my Monsoon at the next change. Response owner up the lake swears by it and uses Amsoil in every vehicle he owns.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. It never gets anywhere near 128F degrees here, it may hit 100f degrees from time to time. The boat has about 400hrs on it.

Mobil 1 comes in a range of different viscosities - I use 5W/50 & that should suit you up in BC I would think. Not to say that the Amsoil isn't equally suitable.

At 400 hours you are good to go with synthetics.