Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brand New Owner - G3.2 Tower Issues


Recommended Posts

We just bought our first Malibu (Wakesetter 23 LSV).  We love the boat but we are having issues with the tower.  The dealer was able to adjust the clips and those are at least working right, but they looked at me like I was expecting too much when I told them the tower shouldn't require 2 people to operate it (the tower totally collapses hard as soon as latches are undone and someone has to push up on the tower to undo the latches).  We have 4 Wet Sounds 8" speakers on it and the board racks with elastic straps and a bimini.

My questions:

1)  I had the dealer order the 275 LB Gas Struts.  Should I have them install those struts on both sides or just on one of the sides?  If they are on both sides will I have to hold the tower to keep it down?

We have to go under a bridge with the tower down every time that we go out so this has been a major pain so far.

Link to post
On 7/27/2016 at 4:29 PM, TnDave said:

We just bought our first Malibu (Wakesetter 23 LSV).  We love the boat but we are having issues with the tower.  The dealer was able to adjust the clips and those are at least working right, but they looked at me like I was expecting too much when I told them the tower shouldn't require 2 people to operate it (the tower totally collapses hard as soon as latches are undone and someone has to push up on the tower to undo the latches).  We have 4 Wet Sounds 8" speakers on it and the board racks with elastic straps and a bimini.

My questions:

1)  I had the dealer order the 275 LB Gas Struts.  Should I have them install those struts on both sides or just on one of the sides?  If they are on both sides will I have to hold the tower to keep it down?

We have to go under a bridge with the tower down every time that we go out so this has been a major pain so far.

Did you change out the struts on your tower?  If so, how is that working for you.  I have to drop my tower everyday as well and with four racks and four tower speakers on it, it is pretty difficult

Link to post

LOL, put the 275s in both sides and dont look back. I swapped mine this winter and even with 2 Rev 10s and 2 tower racks I now have to physically pull the tower down on to my tower stand and ratchet strap it to the floor to get it in my garage. What ever you do, do not hover over the top of the tower and let go of it. The force of the tower springing up will knock your a$$ out! I paid $175.00 a piece from my dealer.

Link to post
1 minute ago, wdr said:

LOL, put the 275s in both sides and dont look back. I swapped mine this winter and even with 2 Rev 10s and 2 tower racks I now have to physically pull the tower down on to my tower stand and ratchet strap it to the floor to get it in my garage. What ever you do, do not hover over the top of the tower and let go of it. The force of the tower springing up will knock your a$$ out! I paid $175.00 a piece from my dealer.

How do I know if the tower came with the 275's or not

Link to post

My '10 G3 tower base has a slot that the strut sits in beneath the pivot point so I can actually see the strut base. The specifics of the strut were paint stamped on the strut body. If I rotated the strut installed I could read the marks. The original strut (215lbs) was marked in metric Nm as well and the replacement was marked in standard measurements "275".  I am not sure on your '16 but bet they aren't the 275s. BICBW.

Link to post
Just now, wdr said:

My '10 G3 tower base has a slot that the strut sits in beneath the pivot point so I can actually see the strut base. The specifics of the strut were paint stamped on the strut body. If I rotated the strut installed I could read the marks. The original strut (215lbs) was marked in metric Nm as well and the replacement was marked in standard measurements "275".  I am not sure on your '16 but bet they aren't the 275s. BICBW.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Link to post
1 hour ago, Hentz said:

Did you change out the struts on your tower?  If so, how is that working for you.  I have to drop my tower everyday as well and with four racks and four tower speakers on it, it is pretty difficult

I haven't gotten my struts yet, but I did get the dealer to order them and they ordered them as a warranty claim so they aren't going to cost me anything.  There are several Malibu produced videos online showing the G3 tower being operated by a single person.  If your tower isn't able to be put up and down without help, then make Malibu correct the issue on their dime.

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...