Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help deciding between 2 boats.

vaporbluebu

16 hours ago, 95echelon said:

I like mine and it can be simply setup for a good wave. The hull is iconic for wakeboarding too. Hard choice over a newish axis though. If I was willing to spend into the 40's and wanted to surf I would focus on 07+ VLX or an LSV 06+ if you went Malibu instead of axis. With a 12 pitch prop you will do well at elevation. 

Edit: After thinking about this I really think the LSV route makes the best sense. If there were some hull issues with the axis line, we know for sure that the LSV has put out a fantastic surf wave since at least 04. I would rate my properly setup VLX as a good surf wave, but not fantastic. I can go ropeless with a 40lb kid and I weight 200.

This.  Every part of this.  I would put my wakeboard wake on my 05 VLX against any new boat and Ive ridden a lot of them.  Sure its not as big as a G or M235 but loaded up its awesome.  

Maybe everyone on here is riding 4000lbs of water on an 80' line at 25mph, and I like to do that, but I can get a sick wakeboard wave at 16mph empty ballast and get beginners clearing the wake on a 60' line and I can also load it up with 4000 lbs and get the dope wake at 80' 20mph too.   Go ride an axis at 16mph and I dont care how good you are or how hard you cut at it, you aint getting over that wake, now teach a beginner to ride.

On 7/27/2016 at 11:52 AM, vaporbluebu said:

That's what I told him, but I've never been in an Axis.  I've also never tried the after market surf devices.  This is the add:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=40762485&cat=&lpid=

Listed for $58k and he is hoping for $55k.

Anyone with more Axis knowledge than I see anything that stands out (good or bad) about this boat?

He's looking at this VLX:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=40564825&cat=147&lpid=2&search=malibu&ad_cid=11

so, probably a $12k difference between the 2.

I live in Washington where the black VLX is located.  I would be happy to go look at it if he wanted an unbiased pair of eyes on it.  It is 400 miles away from Logan, if that is where he is at.  I suppose I could even talk myself into getting a pull behind it if the current owner would take me.  

I agree with what was said above.  A 2007 VLX is not worth 44k with the 350 motor, maybe any and all options for that matter.  I would want to have the current owner get some realistic expectations before either of us wasted our time.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I live in Washington where the black VLX is located.  I would be happy to go look at it if he wanted an unbiased pair of eyes on it.  It is 400 miles away from Logan, if that is where he is at.  I suppose I could even talk myself into getting a pull behind it if the current owner would take me.  

I agree with what was said above.  A 2007 VLX is not worth 44k with the 350 motor, maybe any and all options for that matter.  I would want to have the current owner get some realistic expectations before either of us wasted our time.  

Thanks!  I will pass the offer along.

The one in Washington, UT is not a Silver Edition, the other one on Onlyinboards is. I just traded my 07 VLX Silver Edition with 400hrs. the dealer listed it for $48k and it sold in under a week.

For surfing, we put 1100's in the back (plumbed) and put the WIkedWake manual SG's on. we found that for surfing, it was 90% as good as leaning the boat, but the convenience was worth every penny. The surf wave was very good. However, now that i have surfgate, i don't think i would ever go back. 

my vote (FWIW) would be to go with the Axis w/SG