Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
vaporbluebu

Help deciding between 2 boats.

Recommended Posts

vaporbluebu

I've got a friend who has never owned a boat, but has been on them often and now has the surfing itch.  His initial thought and budget was $40-$45k and thinking an 07-08 vlx.  He just sent me a link to 2014 Axis A22 with surf gate for $55kish.  Both have the 350 motor.  About 300 hrs on the vlx and 110 on the axis.  Primarily surfing, then wakeboarding, with occasional ski/tube/kneeboarding for his younger kids.  I have him reading threads about the aftermarket gates he could add to the vlx, but wanted to get the Crew's opinion.  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie

If he can get the Axis for 50k, I would go that route. Surfgate is really convenient and its nice to have it integrated from the factory. Plus, his vinyl, helm, throttle cables, trailer, etc.. are only a couple years old if he goes with the 14. Going older may mean more maintenance up front which would narrow the gap on the price difference.

 

Share this post


Link to post
saxton15
1 minute ago, Raimie said:

If he can get the Axis for 50k, I would go that route. Surfgate is really convenient and its nice to have it integrated from the factory. Plus, his vinyl, helm, throttle cables, trailer, etc.. are only a couple years old if he goes with the 14. Going older may mean more maintenance up front which would narrow the gap on the price difference.

 

+1.  You get a lot of boat for the money, and he won't regret the SG. 

Share this post


Link to post
vaporbluebu

That's what I told him, but I've never been in an Axis.  I've also never tried the after market surf devices.  This is the add:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=40762485&cat=&lpid=

Listed for $58k and he is hoping for $55k.

Anyone with more Axis knowledge than I see anything that stands out (good or bad) about this boat?

He's looking at this VLX:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=40564825&cat=147&lpid=2&search=malibu&ad_cid=11

so, probably a $12k difference between the 2.

Edited by vaporbluebu

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead

FWIW - Surfing is awesome on the A series, but wakeboarding sucks.  The VLX will be way better for wakeboarding, but surfing, surf gate is awesome. 

Sidenote - Youll want to know if that Axis has a wedge.  Youll want that.

Share this post


Link to post
ac88926
6 minutes ago, 05hammerhead said:

FWIW - Surfing is awesome on the A series, but wakeboarding sucks.  The VLX will be way better for wakeboarding, but surfing, surf gate is awesome. 

Sidenote - Youll want to know if that Axis has a wedge.  Youll want that.

I have to completely disagree.  I have a '14 A22 and the wakeboard wake is very big.  Bigger than my buddies '07 VLX and they are weighted very very closely to the same.  Even he would agree with me as we rotate boats every time we go to the lake. We wakeboard 99% of the time and we both have our boats dialed on the wakes.  The surf wave on the '14 A22 is not going to be as good as the '15 or newer A22's as they changed the hull on those models from 14-15.  It still has a good surf wave with the surfgates but just not as good as the new hull.  And if im not mistaken, they all come with the autoset wedge which moves and finds the "sweet" spot when deployed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie
48 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

That's what I told him, but I've never been in an Axis.  I've also never tried the after market surf devices.  This is the add:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=678&ad=40762485&cat=&lpid=

Listed for $58k and he is hoping for $55k.

Anyone with more Axis knowledge than I see anything that stands out (good or bad) about this boat?

He's looking at this VLX:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=40564825&cat=147&lpid=2&search=malibu&ad_cid=11

so, probably a $12k difference between the 2.

That boat has a base trailer, SP2, tower mirror with wide angle mirror, p-n-p, we are going to assume wedge because I was told that only 2 2014's were ordered without one, SG, swivel racks, 350, Bimini, Cover.

Does not look like it has flake paint, does not have heater, no grip tape on gunnels (which is good, but it is an 'upgrade'), SS cup holders.

Options in question (couldn't tell from pics)... docking lights, underwater lights, depth finder, carpet or tatami mat, prop option (std, torque or cinco).

 

Maybe he should consider waiting a few more weeks to see what pops up. I think that price is a bit high on the Axis. The VLX does look good too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
95echelon

The VLX seems high. That's a 35k boat... Maybe 40.

Share this post


Link to post
vaporbluebu
49 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

The VLX seems high. That's a 35k boat... Maybe 40.

Within 1,000 miles that seems to be the going price for a VLX, silver edition or not, with the the excpetion of one in Vegas for $39,900.  Look out side of that range and shipping and airfare to go look at it doesn't really make it worth it anymore.

 

if he waits I'm sure he will find something more in that $40k price range, but he has to decide if losing this summer is worth a couple grand.

2 hours ago, ac88926 said:

I have to completely disagree.  I have a '14 A22 and the wakeboard wake is very big.  Bigger than my buddies '07 VLX and they are weighted very very closely to the same.  Even he would agree with me as we rotate boats every time we go to the lake. We wakeboard 99% of the time and we both have our boats dialed on the wakes.  The surf wave on the '14 A22 is not going to be as good as the '15 or newer A22's as they changed the hull on those models from 14-15.  It still has a good surf wave with the surfgates but just not as good as the new hull.  And if im not mistaken, they all come with the autoset wedge which moves and finds the "sweet" spot when deployed.  

I was going to ask when hulls changed...that's good to know.  

Edited by vaporbluebu

Share this post


Link to post
95echelon

Looks like prices are higher out west. If your buddy waits until winter there will be some boats for sale in the 05-08 VLX line for 28-35 like the day is long. After owning my 05 for half a season I have no regrets over buying it instead of a 2011 A20 for instance, but I would have to think hard about that axis if you could get it for 52-55ish. If you were to say finance the entire amount over the same period though, your are looking at a 30-40% increase in the payment. If you buy outright it's less fun money.

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/5682064747.html

http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/5661806352.html

https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/boa/5661112453.html <-- Has catalytic converters since it is 07+

 

Edited by 95echelon

Share this post


Link to post
AndyW91

The VLX isn't a Silver Edition. 2007 was silver anniversary year, but the SE has silver/black gel and silver edition badges all over it....

Share this post


Link to post
Suggy
3 hours ago, saxton15 said:

+1.  You get a lot of boat for the money, and he won't regret the SG. 

+2.  If he's into surfing then I think SG is a must.  Game changer for Malibu/Axis and makes everything so much easier.  That's one of the main reasons we upgraded from a 2011 VTX.  The wife surfs goofy and was a pain to have to switch sides.  Although Delta and homemade wake shapers work, nothing will beat SG.  Comparing older Malibu's vs. newer Axis is about the same.  He wouldn't be missing out on any of the new technology (screens, auto wedge, etc.).  If he/anyone can spend the money to get an Axis or Malibu with surfgate, I think it should be a no-brainer.

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

You northern Utah guys boat at 5-7000', right?

I'm going to say that your buddy won't be happy with a '14 axis with base motor at that altitude.

Probably not with a monsoon equipped VLX either, unless he's going to surf it listed.

Share this post


Link to post
RyanB
57 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

Found the exact same add on CL and this one says Denver instead of SLC:

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/5678830100.html

Guess we have to figure out which one is the real deal!

Colorado boat numbers.  And the photos look like a neighborhood just east of where I live. 

 

If you want someone local to take a look, let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
ID AX
4 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

FWIW - Surfing is awesome on the A series, but wakeboarding sucks.  The VLX will be way better for wakeboarding, but surfing, surf gate is awesome. 

Sidenote - Youll want to know if that Axis has a wedge.  Youll want that.

Complete opposite of what you are saying! We owned a '14 A22 w/SG and the 330 motor.  We could get a decent regular wave with 5000lbs of water and wedge.  The problem with that is the 330 motor will only push that much weight below 3000' anything more and it's a no go.  You can get a surfable goofy wave with less weight but the '14 hull takes a lot of weight to surf.  It's one of the major reasons that the A22 received a new hull in '15.  Wakeboarding however was the '14 A22s bright spot.  

3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

You northern Utah guys boat at 5-7000', right?

I'm going to say that your buddy won't be happy with a '14 axis with base motor at that altitude.

Probably not with a monsoon equipped VLX either, unless he's going to surf it listed.

Anything over 3500' and I would recommend the LS3 motor minimum.  That was the biggest reason for us selling our '14 A22 and moving into a '15 LSV.  

Share this post


Link to post
vaporbluebu
32 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

You northern Utah guys boat at 5-7000', right?

I'm going to say that your buddy won't be happy with a '14 axis with base motor at that altitude.

Probably not with a monsoon equipped VLX either, unless he's going to surf it listed.

I'm going to take him out on my boat and so he can see what the 350 and surf gate looks like.  I boat often at 6,000' (Bear Lake) and have no problems getting to speed and that's with 750's and a 1,000 bow bag.

29 minutes ago, ID AX said:

Complete opposite of what you are saying! We owned a '14 A22 w/SG and the 330 motor.  We could get a decent regular wave with 5000lbs of water and wedge.  The problem with that is the 330 motor will only push that much weight below 3000' anything more and it's a no go.  You can get a surfable goofy wave with less weight but the '14 hull takes a lot of weight to surf.  It's one of the major reasons that the A22 received a new hull in '15.  Wakeboarding however was the '14 A22s bright spot.  

Anything over 3500' and I would recommend the LS3 motor minimum.  That was the biggest reason for us selling our '14 A22 and moving into a '15 LSV.  

Starting to think the 2014 axis isn't the way to go.  Again, not worried about the motor, but will let him see how mine performs with the 350 at 4500' and see if he is happy with it.

Share this post


Link to post
ID AX
9 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

I'm going to take him out on my boat and so he can see what the 350 and surf gate looks like.  I boat often at 6,000' (Bear Lake) and have no problems getting to speed and that's with 750's and a 1,000 bow bag.

Starting to think the 2014 axis isn't the way to go.  Again, not worried about the motor, but will let him see how mine performs with the 350 at 4500' and see if he is happy with it.

I ran stock ballast full with PnP ronix 800s in the rear and the bow triangle under the bow (it says 900lbs but with the space restrictions is maybe 500lbs at best.  We then ran a 800lb bag across the cabin floor and another 750lb bag on top of the bow. We ran the wedge depending on each individual riders preference.  The biggest problem with this configuration is there is no room left for people or storage.  We loved the boat but surf 90% of the time and it just wasn't for us

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy
30 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

I'm going to take him out on my boat and so he can see what the 350 and surf gate looks like.  I boat often at 6,000' (Bear Lake) and have no problems getting to speed and that's with 750's and a 1,000 bow bag.

Starting to think the 2014 axis isn't the way to go.  Again, not worried about the motor, but will let him see how mine performs with the 350 at 4500' and see if he is happy with it.

Your longer boat puts a lot more fiberglass in front of the drivetrain, effectively giving it more bow ballast.  Shorter boats will need more weight in the bow than a longer boat, locker weight being equal.

(LOL ask how I know!  My T22 needs bow weight a lot more than my '14 LSV did)

Here's an insightful thread from someone local-to-you with an A22: http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3814&p=31565&hilit=jordanelle#p31565

 

Share this post


Link to post
vaporbluebu
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Your longer boat puts a lot more fiberglass in front of the drivetrain, effectively giving it more bow ballast.  Shorter boats will need more weight in the bow than a longer boat, locker weight being equal.

(LOL ask how I know!  My T22 needs bow weight a lot more than my '14 LSV did)

Here's an insightful thread from someone local-to-you with an A22: http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3814&p=31565&hilit=jordanelle#p31565

 

Thanks...I'm always learning something new on here!

Share this post


Link to post
ID AX
4 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Here's an insightful thread from someone local-to-you with an A22: http://axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3814&p=31565&hilit=jordanelle#p31565

 

The fact that Axis is going to the 409 with 1.72 GR standard should tell you a lot.  All of our lakes are at 3k to 6k in ele and my dealer has been pushing the bigger motors for the last couple of years.  

Share this post


Link to post
Fred4

We have an 05 VLX that we bought last August, the boat was pretty well loaded and in great shape with only 150 hours.  The dealer was asking $42K, I offered $32K and the took it.  For the record, it surfs fantastic with our homage "suck gate."  This is our first inboard, and we could not be happier!  Good Luck to your friend.

Share this post


Link to post
95echelon
14 hours ago, Fred4 said:

We have an 05 VLX that we bought last August, the boat was pretty well loaded and in great shape with only 150 hours.  The dealer was asking $42K, I offered $32K and the took it.  For the record, it surfs fantastic with our homage "suck gate."  This is our first inboard, and we could not be happier!  Good Luck to your friend.

I like mine and it can be simply setup for a good wave. The hull is iconic for wakeboarding too. Hard choice over a newish axis though. If I was willing to spend into the 40's and wanted to surf I would focus on 07+ VLX or an LSV 06+ if you went Malibu instead of axis. With a 12 pitch prop you will do well at elevation. 

Edit: After thinking about this I really think the LSV route makes the best sense. If there were some hull issues with the axis line, we know for sure that the LSV has put out a fantastic surf wave since at least 04. I would rate my properly setup VLX as a good surf wave, but not fantastic. I can go ropeless with a 40lb kid and I weight 200.

Edited by 95echelon

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...