Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot boom on VTX

cjtpilot

I was looking at a new VTX this past week and when talking to the sales manager mentioned I barefoot, slalom, and the kids do the wake stuff. I was told that you can't mount a boom to the removable ski pylon any longer that I would have to use a tower boom? Has this always been like this? Seems to me one of the pros about having the pylon in the center for skiing would be also to be able to attach a boom there.

strength-wise, that pylon is fine....I bet its the twist and torque that they don't want on it potentially popping it out of its mount.  With a kid learning to ski, I don't see how it would not be fine.  For a 230 pound barefooter?  ehhh...might think twice if they no recommend.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

You can get a Quad V contour boom and mount it to the rear pylon probably.  We do this with our VLX.  Think the pop-up pylon is the same O.D.

Yeah and with the rear pylon mount you haven't got the bar blocking off access to most of the seating.  The folks I bought my VTX from used a BI contour boom on it

Just now, 85 Barefoot said:

I don't see how a boom blocks access any more than a DD boom, but it would certainly help get the rope further ahead of the spray too.

It doesn't, but part of the joy of a v-drive is the more usable layout where you don't have to be climbing all over or losing the use of your seats when you are skiing, barefooting, whatever

6 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

how are people mounting the vdrive booms with the limited amount that the pylon pops up?

I have a picture somewhere of the one that was on my boat.  Basically the adapter block attaches just above the level of the hatch doors on the pylon.

FOund it

561808_348967065188193_1662672360_n.jpg.

Edited by oldjeep
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I have a picture somewhere of the one that was on my boat.  Basically the adapter block attaches just above the level of the hatch doors on the pylon.

FOund it

561808_348967065188193_1662672360_n.jpg.

I was told not to use this mount also, supposedly they aren't mounted in the boat as solid any longer.

I would highly recommend the Sidewinder boom. Bought one earlier this year and it has been the best decision. It's on the expensive side, but the ease of use more than makes up for the added expense. 

As for using the center mount pylon boom, look at the way the pylon "clips" into the floor. It attaches via a small pin that is not designed to take the upward force from someone pulling down on the boom in the water.  The center pylon will do fine if there is a rope pulling directly back on it (slalom ski, barefoot, even tube), but a boom would cause a lever effect pulling up the pylon and it is clearly not designed for that application.