Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best fuel for my Malibu

stewtex2011

I recently purchased an 08 Malibu 23VLX and I have heard conflicting messages on fuel. Is it worth buying better gasoline on the lake or can I use regular gas and put in additives? Thanks for the help!

90 octane no ethanol is what I burn at a few stations around the lake.  Technically you can run 87 and be okay. The computer will keep the motor from pinging.

• Like 2

I used to run regular. Not anymore. Run ethanol free. It took me years before it caused trouble, but it's not worth being stranded on the lake.

I seem to get a little less exhaust smell and no vapor lock with ethanol free 89 octane in my 06' with the Hammerhead.  

89 octane no ethanol. Only one station in town has it. I refuse to pay lake prices unless absolutely necessary.  As much as I would want a lake house and a lift, trailering does have it's advantages.

Manual on mine say 89 and that is what I run.  Never had an issue with E10 in anything I own, it has been the norm here for about 25 years.  Since mine is a trailer boat it is pretty rare that it gets filled up anywhere on the lake.  I don't use any Stabil or anything else, quality gasoline has more stabilizers in it than a thimble full of stabil could contain.

1 hour ago, SoDakSooner said:

89 octane no ethanol. Only one station in town has it. I refuse to pay lake prices unless absolutely necessary.  As much as I would want a lake house and a lift, trailering does have it's advantages.

Non-Oxy 89 delivered 250 gallons at a time - and boy do we seem to burn through it fast :whistle:

I hope gas prices stay low...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Non-Oxy 89 delivered 250 gallons at a time - and boy do we seem to burn through it fast :whistle:

I hope gas prices stay low...

Id love to see your setup.  I keep kicking around setting up a barrel.

19 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Id love to see your setup.  I keep kicking around setting up a barrel.

We have a 280 gallon tank like the ones used for home heating oil.  It can be reached by the hose from the delivery truck.  From the tank there's a buried heavy copper line going to the shoreline.  Gravity feed.  All legal for our area when it was put in.  If we have to replace it we'll have to make a few modifications.  It's really nice to be able to gas up at the dock with 4 gas guzzlers.  Cheaper and more convenient than going to the one marina on the lake that sells gas.

I burn 89 E10 from the pump.  No issues.

There was a person who made a comment on a thread a while back about running E10.  The response was about that E10 was no issue in these engines.  A few people jumped on his comment.  One person told him he was full of it and said he had no evidence to back it up.  He responded that he was a chief engineer for GM power train in engine development.....  And there was 25 years of engine test data to back his claim and would be happy to share some of it.  

For some reason the so called "internet experts" remained silent.