Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What's next after Rev10s?

rugger

What's the next generation of tower speakers going to bring? Anyone know?   I'd have to imagine WS comes out with an Icon 10" or equivalent speaker.... Many debates about horns are louder but harsher, but displacement wins mid bass, etc.  Does that mean a 10" with titanium tweeter would be best if you don't need 80' back?  Even at 80'?

Haven't heard anything from Exile in a while either... what's coming down the pipeline.   Technology always improves.   That's all I know.  

Edited by rugger

As you go from an 8-inch to 10-inch tower speaker, whether using a conventional dome tweeter or a compression horn, you run into some real challenges.

It is very hard for an 8-inch midbass driver and 1-inch hard metal tweeter to span the midrange region without a gap or some serious frequency irregularities. That's why JL Audio uses a proprietary and massive 1.2" soft dome tweeter on their 8-inch coaxial. So when you step up in size to a 10-inch speaker it gets much more difficult. The improvement in midbass performance with a larger midbass driver and larger pod may not automatically be an overall SQ improvement. Wetsounds knows this and won't come out with a larger speaker until they have really solved the engineering issues.

You are right in that nothing stays static forever. But I'm not sure why a company would introduce such a product just as the peak season is winding down. That is a long time to sit on new product inventory.

Right now, horn or otherwise, near field or not, the Wetsounds Rev10 is the leading product. For someone who wants even more refinement, they are usually adding a hide-away EQ or DSP.  

I've heard it's in the works.  Agreed... not gonna come this summer.   Spring is my guess.  But curious how it'll sound.   Thanks for the input.   

In a prior career I worked in Silicon Valley where performance speed doubled every 18 months.   I believe engineering challenges were meant to be solved.  Just not by me. :)

I think what they are all pushing right now is on the signal source side. The new a-linc the new Bluetooth sources. Wetsounds black box and dsp amps. Stuff that hits both marine and side by side markets. 

• 4 weeks later...

Not wakeboat related, but I keep seeing people pull out full fledged DJ Speakers and lop them on their boats at the party cove.  It's wild!  Last week I saw a guy with a dedicated mount on his top deck (offshore hull) to prop up a DJ speaker.  These things are LOUD.  

We used to have a guy that would do that at our local city lake. He would always play crap music and get massively bent out of shape when he would drowned out by tower speakers. 

15 hours ago, saxton15 said:

Not wakeboat related, but I keep seeing people pull out full fledged DJ Speakers and lop them on their boats at the party cove.  It's wild!  Last week I saw a guy with a dedicated mount on his top deck (offshore hull) to prop up a DJ speaker.  These things are LOUD.  

I did this for a couple of years.

Steve B.

3 hours ago, cowwboy said:

We used to have a guy that would do that at our local city lake. He would always play crap music and get massively bent out of shape when he would drowned out by tower speakers. 

This same scenario happened to me. Some dude in an LSV was parked near us, so I revved up my monitors to what I thought was loud. Ha. LSV dude cranked his tower/cabin/sub system and BLEW mine away.

So, now I have a new boat with tower speakers-cabin speakers-sub that completely rock the house !

Steve B.

• Like 1