Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

91 Sunsetter Prop

Hey everyone,

Been a really long time since I've posted anything here. I have a 91 Sunsetter Euro F3 that has had its fair share of engine troubles. After nearly rebuilding everything I think we've finely got a fun and reliable boat to play with but I'm wondering if I should be looking to change my prop now that the motor is running strong.

I bought the boat with a 13 x 12.5 OJ 489 3 blade prop. After talking to Max and Dave at Skier to Skier, they suggested a 12.5 x 12 OJ 402 4 blade prop. When I put this new prop on originally, we still hadn't figured out all of our engine issues so it was hard to gauge its performance. Now with the engine fixed, the prop works great out of the hole but tops out around 38 mph at 4,400 rpm WOT. Last night I threw my stock prop on for comparison and was running around 39 mph at 4,200 rpm WOT but out of the hole it was very sluggish. 38 mph with the 4 blade would be fine except that for long line barefooting it is a little on the slow side for guys that are 200+ lbs.

Does anyone have a prop suggestion that could get me 42+ mph but still maintain the strong holeshot and low speed control that my 402 prop has? Thanks for all your input. This forum has helped me troubleshoot so many issues over the years.

I've had my boat since 2001 and still run the same prop. It's old. OJ Legend 13x13. Get's 42.5mph @4400 rpm with just driver, or 41mph pulling a 160lb. footer. Checked with Acme and OJ, they both say a new prop MIGHT get me 1 or 2 mph faster. OJ recommended their 13x12 LC XMP 3-blade.

I also have a spare holeshot prop. Can't remember the top speed, but I think it's ~38mph.

You can try my speed prop if I can try yours.