Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Life's in the way

Falko

12 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I almost went that route. So, I bought a newer one to make sure I didn't. I go out by myself. A lot. But then I'll go several weekends in a row, with a different date on the boat each day. 

Boater, Steve B.

Tramp!   Just kidding.  Usually having a boat brings lots of people out that have never been on the water before. 

We are struggling with this right now as well.  Oldest daughter is off to University, youngest is working and is very busy with her equestrian vaulting and I am gone to the city about 3 days a week.  Boat has only been in the water three times this year and with it sitting at the dealer getting some TLC I keep thinking about taking that cash and running for now.  By my wife is scared we wont buy another one with the new boat prices being so ridiculous! 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Kidless mid 30s type here, but when the heck did kids sports get so ridiculous?  When I was younger it was practices a few nights a week, maybe one game against a team from across town or up to 45 mins away.  No weekends until I got to HS football and even that was only occasional weightlifting in summer and a short season in the fall.

All these folks driving 4 hours every weekend with crap painted on the windows of their minivans make me shake my head.  Guess it's a matter of perspective.

I was so lucky my kids were into individual sports rather than team sports. I've lost many friends to the soccer machine

Since my son has been playing competitive leagues, we've seen a big change in his demeanor and attitude when it comes to adversity. Things come fairly easy to him, but when he started to have to work hard to succeed, he started to not take things for granted. I have no doubts that he is not going to go pro, even playing at the college level is a stretch. But he is enjoying himself and we are seeing returns on him playing. When I was his age I played little league one year, then it was too much time for my parents to run me to practice and games, my youth was spent doing farm chores. I am not going to do that to him, I don't want him to miss out on what he wants to do. He likes wakeboarding, but has only asked once this summer about going on the boat.

I didn't mean to turn this discussion into the youth sports thread. That is always a contentious subject, no doubt. I really was venting toward leaving boating and curious on thoughts if it was too late to try to market the boat this year. I think I've decided to hang on for this year, get it out and try to rip it up a few times before summer is over. Winterizing is easy and if we don't get out much, we can let her go come Spring time.

Thanks all for the help. You've opened my eyes a bit and think I am going to see what works out here in the coming weeks.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Falko said:

I didn't mean to turn this discussion into the youth sports thread. That is always a contentious subject, no doubt. I really was venting toward leaving boating and curious on thoughts if it was too late to try to market the boat this year. I think I've decided to hang on for this year, get it out and try to rip it up a few times before summer is over. Winterizing is easy and if we don't get out much, we can let her go come Spring time.

Thanks all for the help. You've opened my eyes a bit and think I am going to see what works out here in the coming weeks.

You sound like a great father to me, man.  You don't need to regret bringing up the whole youth sports thing or whatever.  LIke I had said, I was one of the "NFW" types until that's what my kid indicated she wanted to do.  And I've sacrificed a lot of the things I enjoy.......because none of that is as rewarding as watching one's kid grow through what various activities require.  But we can use the boat to unwind, however often that is.  And when you can pull in some team mates, you can unwind, and still do that whole team bonding thing.  Because one of the things that draws kids to those activities is that they do it with friends.  Well, when you can bring in those friends who go through the rigors of sport with them, and have them unwind together, it is just a really cool and special thing.  There are a half dozen girls on the swim team who have more time behind my boat this year than I do, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  Shoot, I may suck at it when I"m older, but that doesn't mean I won't try.  We got my father in law up when he was 65 not long ago, and it was a blast!

• Like 2

My wife, son and I like to be out on the boat, it is great family together time.  My son is athletic with other team sports, but the thing I like about the boat, when we are out there boating and surfing for 5 or 6 hours, it is all encompassing, no TV, no phones, no iPad.  It's all about the boat and the sport.  We love to see all of the other boats out on the river, spotting other cool wake board boats or spotting some old classic Master Crafts or old classic Nautiques.  We just like it.  I hope my son, 11 years old, doesn't ever change to dislike boating, I guess it could happen.

Maybe we did kinda hijack the thread a bit.....but for once it was a good, nice, thought provoking hijack. We should all be thankful we are afforded the luxury of having the decision of whether or not to KEEP a boat. First world problems for sure. And good luck Falko, hope it all woks out for the best.

• Like 3

I think sports are great for kids, but when I was playing youth sports I was warned about taking it easy in the weight room since I was still growing and too much was a bad thing.  Now here in MN they have elementary age kids doing strength training with 9pm and later ice times (I thought sleep was important for kids).  I would really like to see someone do an in-depth study on the economics of youth sport to see where all the money is ending up.  I think sports are very important for a kid but I think the money is starting to ruin it.  Kids are specializing waaaaay to early and we are already seeing it affecting the longevity of pro atheletes careers.

1 hour ago, vanamp said:

I think sports are great for kids, but when I was playing youth sports I was warned about taking it easy in the weight room since I was still growing and too much was a bad thing.  Now here in MN they have elementary age kids doing strength training with 9pm and later ice times (I thought sleep was important for kids).  I would really like to see someone do an in-depth study on the economics of youth sport to see where all the money is ending up.  I think sports are very important for a kid but I think the money is starting to ruin it.  Kids are specializing waaaaay to early and we are already seeing it affecting the longevity of pro atheletes careers.

I think that might be more of you noticing it vs the kids. While I agree politics start getting involved the older the kids get, at the end of the day as long as they are doing what they enjoy I am willing to let it go. If you want to get into the economics aspect it's really not that hard to see what the money makers are. After all its not the profs that are the highest paid at university's that have a fb program... 

4 kiddos here ages 13, 10, 8, 2. Boating is a wonderful family activity. We still manage to squeeze out 40ish hours per year. To the parents with the really small kiddos don't sweat it, things will smooth out and life returns to a new normal that allows plenty of boating time.

When I grew up my family did not have a boat, but I had friends that did. It's been a lot of fun (and very much a blessing) to be able to share these past few years on the water with others. We only get one trip around the blue ball! Let's enjoy it!!

16 hours ago, gordon20mxz said:

My wife, son and I like to be out on the boat, it is great family together time.  My son is athletic with other team sports, but the thing I like about the boat, when we are out there boating and surfing for 5 or 6 hours, it is all encompassing, no TV, no phones, no iPad.  It's all about the boat and the sport.  We love to see all of the other boats out on the river, spotting other cool wake board boats or spotting some old classic Master Crafts or old classic Nautiques.  We just like it.  I hope my son, 11 years old, doesn't ever change to dislike boating, I guess it could happen.

@gordon20mxz i couldn't agree more!  Most kids today live by their electronics and its a constant struggle to pull them from that world. Any distraction that pulls their attention away and brings them back to some quality family time is a plus!  Boating provides that opportunity.  Like you said, its just us and the boat.  Whether we are doing water sports, hanging out or going on a sunset cruise, its all good!!

On 7/28/2016 at 8:29 PM, vanamp said:

Very interesting... You know I never really thought about where the money ends up in youth sports.  I grew up in a small town and we were constantly doing fundraisers to pay for equipment, our school didn't have a big budget, so if we wanted to play we needed to work.  I would be very curious to know this as well.

To me team sports are more about the learning of life lessons and how to work with others to achieve a common goal.  Very valuable life lessons to be learned, but the amount of time they consume has changed so much in the 5 years since I was a senior in high school.  Kids still need time to be with family, have time to properly recover, and of course make sure they are preparing for life in terms of an education.

My kids are into everything.  Lately, though, I've been focusing on teaching them how to be at peace by themselves, with nothing around and nothing to do.  They receive a barrage of input constantly and are always running around.  We go places and they are like "Well what am I supposed to do while you are xxxxx?" and sometimes it seems that they can't spend 15 minutes in solitude.  Think about your day, your life, your friends, what is around you, the shapes, the colors, where you've been, etc etc.  Smell the roses I guess.

• Like 2
On 27 July 2016 at 0:27 AM, Malibuzer said:

Tramp!   Just kidding.  Usually having a boat brings lots of people out that have never been on the water before. 

We are struggling with this right now as well.  Oldest daughter is off to University, youngest is working and is very busy with her equestrian vaulting and I am gone to the city about 3 days a week.  Boat has only been in the water three times this year and with it sitting at the dealer getting some TLC I keep thinking about taking that cash and running for now.  By my wife is scared we wont buy another one with the new boat prices being so ridiculous! 

It's like buying a house... You have to be in the market.... Keep the one you have or buy a new one and let it sit.... Low hour machines are always good....

Some people do guys nights out. I've never done that. Instead I do 5:30am mornings footing with the guys. Some of the best times I've had. We rotate boats and I pay for gas.

6 minutes ago, footndale said:

Some people do guys nights out. I've never done that. Instead I do 5:30am mornings footing with the guys. Some of the best times I've had. We rotate boats and I pay for gas.

I wish my guys could do that.  They are much better beer drinkers than just about anything physical.  You have a unique, and freaking incredible situation.  Totes jelly.

4 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

I wish my guys could do that.  They are much better beer drinkers than just about anything physical.  You have a unique, and freaking incredible situation.  Totes jelly.

NO KIDDING.  Now in mid-40s and my poor poor friends are all so soft and many have just given up on being physically active.  Sad for them and for me (because getting up at the crack of dawn to get on the water doesn't sound good to them).

Just now, shawndoggy said:

NO KIDDING.  Now in mid-40s and my poor poor friends are all so soft and many have just given up on being physically active.  Sad for them and for me (because getting up at the crack of dawn to get on the water doesn't sound good to them).

Yep, just plain given up.  "I'm too old for that kind of thing".  Mostly though, they have bad backs, knees and ankles. 

6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I fit most of that desertion, mid 40's, soft, not really active.  However sunrise lake to yourself,  with a couple of buddies is very worth it.  

I love watching the sun rise over the mountains from the boat.   It's awesome.

4 minutes ago, DarkSide said:

I love watching the sun rise over the mountains from the boat.   It's awesome.

To those of you who would like to see this exact sunrise and mountains that @DarkSide is talking about...check out the YouTube video in the "Drone Wakeboarding Footage" thread. Saguaro Lake...sunrise...It really is amazing. I'm on my phone or I would link it here. 

10 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Yep, just plain given up.  "I'm too old for that kind of thing".  Mostly though, they have bad backs, knees and ankles. 

I wonder if it is because Wisconsin is the show ski capital that we don't seem to have that problem as much. Heck, most of us around 50, ski more than younger ages. Though when we fall, it just takes a little longer to get going again. :)