Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Life's in the way

Falko

Well, after some serious soul searching and thinking, looks like we are going to be leaving the boating community for a little while. We just have way too many other things going on, haven't even uncovered the boat this year, still shrink wrapped. Next year isn't going to be much better. Not sure if we should market it now or wait until next spring. We're just really torn about the whole thing, but having a boat just to have a boat sit in the driveway isn't going to work out.

Sad to say... the writing is on the wall for me too.  Will prolly be in your shoes this time next season as we will be pushing the last kid out of the nest then.  It has been a really great run tho and as sad as I'll (eventually) be to be boatless, I think I'll be glad to find out what next adventure life has in store.

• Like 1

I sold a boat last September so there's nothing wrong with listing it now but if you're not using it and then give a potential buyer a demo you'll have to winterize again so that's annoying.  

If you want top dollar for it you may have to wait but there will be plenty of people looking for discounts in the fall and winter if you prefer to sell now.  

Since we sold ours last September I was shopping all winter.  It was actually kind of annoying that there weren't that many boats listed.  In the spring there are way more listings but the prices are jacked.  I was glad I found a winter deal. 

Just now, soonerbilly said:

Im hoping HAVING the boat brings my kids back for visits after they move out. But who knows.

Hasn't really at our house with the one kid who doesn't live here in the summer.  Luckily my wife and I bought the boat for us not the kids, so even after they all move back to school in 3 weeks we'll still be out at least weekly.

Just now, oldjeep said:

Hasn't really at our house with the one kid who doesn't live here in the summer.  Luckily my wife and I bought the boat for us not the kids, so even after they all move back to school in 3 weeks we'll still be out at least weekly.

don't need a spotter in MN?

Unfortunately baseball is what is keeping us away. Can't really do that in the winter either.

It is going to be the hardest on my son losing the boat. Mainly because we won't have it, but further because he'll know that he is the main reason we can't use it anymore. Ugh, this is awful...

• Like 2

I had a great 14 years with a lake place and every weekend between April and October was spent with a schedule. Now that my kids are out and I no longer have a lake place to worry about or plan for, I must say I am enjoying doing other things. I did decide not to sell the boat even if it just sits, only used it 3 times so far this year, I know there is no way I could afford another boat and I don't want to burn the bridge of not being able to go!

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Wrestlling has killed my winter ski seasons for the past three years.  At first I was kinda bitter about it, but now as we approach my son's senior year I am so grateful for all of those trips and tournaments.  It has been quite a ride and a great way to get a glimpse of his HS experience.  And hopefully it dumps the winter of 17-18!

We don't regret the baseball stuff at all. He's played on four teams this year and we'll be spending next week in Cooperstown for that weekly tourny. We love watching him play and making family trips out of it. But we also love boating, but we can pick that up later on again, I guess. I can sell the boat, down size the Armada to something more reasonable, etc etc etc. 

This is always a tough call.

Our 20 MXZ is small, it's enough for our crew of three, but the cabin area is small.  Sometimes my wife and I say, maybe we should sell the 20 MXZ and sell our pontoon boat and combine the money and buy a bigger Malibu.  We don't use the pontoon as often as we use to, but we still do use it.  The issue is that we got a good deal on our pontoon boat, it is 10 years old, paid for, in perfect shape and will stay that way because it's kept under cover on a boathouse lift.  Can't get much money for it used and it would be hard to replace it for the money that we have in it from the original purchase and it costs very little to insure it each year.  When our son is older and in college and we don't ski and surf any more we will want a pontoon boat to cruise around on, at that point do we we really want to buy a new one with the steadily increasing prices?  It's better to just keep ours, insure it and use it every once and a while.  That's what we are thinking right now, at least.

If you like your boat, it's in good shape and it runs well, in the long run is it cheaper to just keep it around?  Consider the costs of getting back into a 23' boat in a few years.  These boats are getting too expensive, even the used ones.  Tough call.

• Like 1
Just now, gordon20mxz said:

This is always a tough call.

Our 20 MXZ is small, it's enough for our crew of three, but the cabin area is small.  Sometimes my wife and I say, maybe we should sell the 20 MXZ and sell our pontoon boat and combine the money and buy a bigger Malibu.  We don't use the pontoon as often as we use to, but we still do use it.  The issue is that we got a good deal on our pontoon boat, it is 10 years old, paid for, in perfect shape and will stay that way because it's kept under cover on a boathouse lift.  Can't get much money for it used and it would be hard to replace it for the money that we have in it from the original purchase and it costs very little to insure it each year.  When our son is older and in college and we don't ski and surf any more we will want a pontoon boat to cruise around on, at that point do we we really want to buy a new one with the steadily increasing prices?  It's better to just keep ours, insure it and use it every once and a while.  That's what we are thinking right now, at least.

If you like your boat, it's in good shape and it runs well, in the long run is it cheaper to just keep it around?  Consider the costs of getting back into a 23' boat in a few years.  These boats are getting too expensive, even the used ones.  Tough call.

That's how i came to my decision... That and the malibu website where I can build a boat.... $223,000 later..... yea, I'll keep her!

My wife and I also bought ours because WE wanted it.  We can usually find people to go along, I have a list of friends and family I want to take out, also my son owns a supra, we will always own a boat.  Keep your boat!!  I wish I would have bought mine earlier in life, but was too strapped then to even consider it.  

Everyone is different.  If you did it for the kids, then boating will probably end.  If you did it because you and your wife love being on the water then keep it or make plans to purchase another down the road.  My parents bought a boat for us kids, they used their boat twice in the last three years. 

I love being on the water and will only give up boating if I end up moving to live on the beach (the chances of that are slim).

We've been out twice, baseball here too. One of those times was with the baseball team.  As of last weekend we are finally done for the Summer.  Good thing in OK, is it is boating season till late November, early December if you want it bad enough.

Our boat is paid for and we store on site. All it costs me if we don't use it is about $400 for insurance. Unless something disastrous happens, it aint going anywhere.... :)

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by SoDakSooner
  • Like 1

My wife and I love to be on the water and we will boat even without the kid, but probably not on a wake board boat.  Too loud, too low, too much trouble to wipe down and winterize, etc., etc..  We will slowly cruise around on the pontoon at 8 mph.

We rarely boat with our boys (age 17 and 16).  In fact, it's like pulling teeth.  I've given up on them, they just don't share the enthusiasm for fun, adventure, accomplishment, strength, or speed.  I'm slightly bitter.

The daughter is starting to get into it pretty heavy though (age 10).  She joined the show ski team last week, practice tonight.  She will probably slalom for her first time ever tonight.

When she is done, I intend to keep the ski boat until my body is physically incapable of footing and wakesurfing.  I've about given up on wakeboarding, but still do it from time to time.  Boat is paid for, slip is cheap, easy to maintain.  So it would make no sense to sell it.

All that said...we are still on our first tank of gas for the year.

• Like 1

I was so lucky! My son was not into organized sports. Then to top it off I got my 30 years in at work and he was going from middle school to High school, we asked him if he wanted to go to school in Midland or Lavonia  our lake place was outside of Midland. He picked Midland :yahoo: !  So I told the boss I was retiring and we moved up north. Both had very good schools so we built our retirement home and it's been so good. My son is now on his own with a good wife and they both are doing well and live in Midland so we get to see them often.  Dammer we have it good!  Still have my ski boat but that is all it used for. We pontoon for easy crusing. don't know if I could go without the ski boat. She does not get a lot of hours and we alternate between three ski boats but I like others just think what it would cost to replace and its all payed for. 

• Like 1