Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leave before the party is over or stay until revelers are gone?

RedOwl

I had dinner with two good friends the other day and we got on the subject of fireworks and other past-dark boating activities. Both friends are avid boaters and both participate in multiple events (fireworks, concerts, etc) that keep them on the water into the dark of night.

Both have opposite philosophies on when to weigh anchor and head to the ramp. Friend A always leaves just before or as the event is ending and gets in the front of the line at the closest ramp to the event. Friend B sits and naps/floats/relaxes until the traffic is gone and slowly makes his way to a further ramp so he doesn't get caught up in the chaos. 

What do you do?

Wait it out.  We see this every year on the 4th.  A bay filled with boats of all sizes all jockeying to leave once the fireworks are done.  Needless to say, watching from shore, you hear a lot of fiberglass and horns. 

The few times I have done this I have found associations or homeowners with private launches and made friends. Usually someone will unlock their chain with so much as a "pretty please" if you plan while it's light out.

Sounds no different than attending any on land event. Do you leave the ball game in the 8th inning, 3rd quarter, etc to beat traffic or do you wait until the game is over and the bulk of the people have left to leave your seat? 

Throw down till 2am. We all have led's, led rings, transom lights, stereos with hella batteries that we can leave going for hhhhhoooours... and we all love a night time glow party.

I'm with formulaben. Last group off the water. But I avoid the ridiculous traffic areas. I'll take water over the bow if I'm in the middle of a big group of boats taking off at the same time, so we're always off to the side, or hide out in a cove right afterwards. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Throw down till 2am. We all have led's, led rings, transom lights, stereos with hella batteries that we can leave going for hhhhhoooours... and we all love a night time glow party.

You must not have any mosquitoes!  Since DEET basically melts vinyl we never apply it when on the boats.  After much experimentation we've found that mosquitoes have a max speed of 9 mph over the water.  Gotta keep moving.  The little buggers are a pain.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/DEETtech.html

Edited by minnmarker
addition of link
2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

You must not have any mosquitoes!  Since DEET basically melts vinyl we never apply it when on the boats.  After much experimentation we've found that mosquitoes have a max speed of 9 mph over the water.  Gotta keep moving.  The little buggers are a pain.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/DEETtech.html

Oddly enough, we don't have many out ON the water. 

On land, yes. You might get carried away.

I also have red LED's, and those don't attract bugs.

2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Since DEET basically melts vinyl we never apply it when on the boats.

Hmmm, never heard this one.  Good to know!

Just now, ibelonginprison said:

It's a very real, very scary thing. 

Almost as scary as butter on a steak, spilled milk bags or an improperly made Subway sandwich...

21 hours ago, RedOwl said:

Almost as scary as butter on a steak, spilled milk bags or an improperly made Subway sandwich...

Butter on steak doesn't bother me as much as ketchup.

Last.  Always last.

Perfect example last night:  We went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert at a local small venue (Frederik Meijer Gardens).  At the end of the show, the parking lot is completely jammed up.  We pulled out our beach chairs and sat on the pavement next to our car, drinking beers and shelling peanuts.  Had some other people join us.  Lots of laughs.  Eventually that turned into "So, where are we going now?" from two unrelated groups of strangers, we all were just having a blast.  But, I had to work today, so we left while they all went to a local tap house.

• Like 3