Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brass Flakes in Bilge 2002 Response LX

After a bare-footing set last week I removed the plug to allow a small amount of water to drain and noticed brass flakes littering the bilge. Last fall we had a bad prop strike that required a complete replacement of the underwater gear. There was a repair to the mounting area for the strut and during the re-assembly process we had to shim the strut slightly to complete the shaft alignment. I can see some damage to the the packing nut where the brass is being rubbed by the shaft. I am a bit mystified because the alignment checks to within .002 and the prop and shaft spin freely by hand. I have not had a chance to run the boat yet since discovering the flakes. Is it possible the packing nut is too tight causing it to heat/expand and then contact the shaft? Is it possible for the shaft to bow under power? I did a cursory check of the engine mounts and they appear to be torqued properly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Pic of nut below:

http://imgur.com/Y2b7QGn

Edited by BoatFlyRide
Pic add

@BoatFlyRide:  Bummer, from the picture it looks like the nut is chipping off rather than wearing down but I may not be looking at the picture correctly, it also appears to be rubbing / wearing the shaft at the nut flange.  I would do a few things to verify correct alignment, 1. run a feeler gauge (actually for a circular gap a drill bit would work better) around the entire circumference to ensure even distance;  2. remove the coupler and verify not only the correct gap but ensure the centerlines are aligned, sounds counterintuitive that if off you would have a decent gap, but worth a check; 3. check the shaft bushings to verify they are not overly worn causing a shaft wobble; and 4. check for shaft bend by spinning shaft and either looking / using a dial indicator or calipers to check for straightness .  And yes to your question, check the drip rate and temperature after running to verify not getting too hot.  Shaft should not bow unless something is out of balance (prop / coupling).