Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

black scorpion motor

malibuwup

Hi All, I am also looking at a '97 echelon w/ the black scorpion motor. From reading here sounds like a solid engine with the only bummer is hard to change impeller. Does anyone know if it has factory fuel coolers for vapor lock? I heard that is an issue with the other high hp mercruiser motors.

I had the black scorpion in my 99. Was a good engine for me.  Just remember all the engines are for the most part the same across the board. All the short blocks come from the same place. Even if you go back to the old Ford's. So the manifolds, and the computers and software are the parts that change. This changes some in the new super charged engines a little but still very much the same.  

I had a 96 Response with the Black Scorpion. Great motor and it had  a fuel cooler so no vapor lock. The impeller took longer to change but that was the only negative.

59 minutes ago, malibuwup said:

Hi All, I am also looking at a '97 echelon w/ the black scorpion motor. From reading here sounds like a solid engine with the only bummer is hard to change impeller. Does anyone know if it has factory fuel coolers for vapor lock? I heard that is an issue with the other high hp mercruiser motors.

On a 2004 LXI the black scorpion has a factory fuel cooler