Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 Malibu Wakesetter 21VL Potential

Jholly87

I have my dealers license so I have access to many auction sites and i came across an 03 wakesetter 21VL. It is very very rough. As in new carpet (or install seadeck) New skins and at least 50% new cushions. and it is 14 hours away therefore i would be buying site unseen except for pics. No idea if it runs but i am pretty mechanically inclined so that would be the least of my worries. I would want to buy it for an investment and winter project I have a 96 Nautique Super Sport now that i would proli keep unless I liked the Malibu better. I will have around $1200 in getting it to me if I did buy it. I guess my question is how much could i spend on the boat and come out all right? I will see if i can attach pictures.   

Depending on hours, location and condition it would probably sell for mid 20s. Pics and hours would help along with any additional information like if it's missing the wedge, etc. 

MalibuNation

Trailer?  Tower?  This time of year in the condition you mentioned I would say in the teens if it ran well.

Where is located?  If it was near me I would look at it for you.

Hours are unknown because no battery selling location would be Dayton Ohio area. I can't figure out how to upload pics for the life of me. Wedge looks as if it's there. 

That thing looks like it was underwater, going to take a lot of work. Between wet sanding,buffing, and upholstery and not knowing if it runs. I don't think I'd risk it. 

13 minutes ago, jbower said:

That thing looks like it was underwater, going to take a lot of work. Between wet sanding,buffing, and upholstery and not knowing if it runs. I don't think I'd risk it. 

yeah i can't decide i mean if it goes for under 2k and gives me a winter project??? My 96 SS was for a fact a flood boat but was no where this bad, I didnt even have to do any upholstery work to it. 

Edited by Jholly87
7 minutes ago, Jholly87 said:

yeah i can't decide i mean if it goes for under 2k and gives me a winter project??? My 96 SS was for a fact a flood boat but was no where this bad, I didnt even have to do any upholstery work to it. 

I can see a winter project but another thing to think about is the shape it is in and Florida registration screams salt water to me 

On the upside it comes with a wakeboard ?

3 minutes ago, jbower said:

I can see a winter project but another thing to think about is the shape it is in and Florida registration screams salt water to me 

On the upside it comes with a wakeboard ?

Yeah that was another concern of mine although if the were using it in salt water a lot you would think the trailer would have some more rust on it unless it never came out of the water i guess. Salt water is just terrible on inside of engine as far as making it rust i assume?

Yea it can create all kinds of issues. I'm not sure what upholstery runs on these boats but I would guess 4-6k. Carpet isn't to pricey if you can do it yourself. Engine wise if it is blown up probably 1500-3000k for a quality long block.then you still have a v drive and a transmission that your unsure of.  Wet sand and buff is mainly time if you have the know how. 

I know in my area at peak selling times if that boat was in good useable shape it would bring mid 20s all day. 

That makes me want to cry just looking at it.  I have the same model boat that will be up for sale this fall, but it is not a project boat and is in much better shape than that.  Excuse me while I go puke from the disgust of that shape of that boat.

8 minutes ago, gahvey said:

That makes me want to cry just looking at it.  I have the same model boat that will be up for sale this fall, but it is not a project boat and is in much better shape than that.  Excuse me while I go puke from the disgust of that shape of that boat.

I know right? I can not imagine taking 25-30K plus dollars and treating it like this. I think it is kind of why I like these projects though. I like to see what i can turn something into. It's the challenge I think. 

Salt water boat from FL according to registration numbers.  No way do you even want to get into that. The motor is likely trashed from salt water.  Obviously not well cared for

That boat is so neglected. I'm sure that boat has pretty low hours but probably doesn't run. It says on the CR that the odometer works but has 0 hours on engine. That sometimes means it doesn't run but you never know. It's a gamble for sure. I'm also wondering what ate those seats and if it could have done damage elsewhere. They also didn't show inside any of the compartments. Probably so much mold in there. Being from florida doesn't necessarily mean saltwater especially from that area of florida. The trailer is in really good condition for a salt boat. The corrosion inside the engine compartment could be from standing water and humidity from being left out under a cover with the plugs in. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is it would have to be insanely cheap to even think about getting. 

There is an 06 23xti with a hammerhead in it at southern California that looks like it is a way better candidate for a project but will probably bring a good bit more. 

If you can get it for $2k, would be fun to play with.  It has the good tower from that year.  I agree with others, a shame, Mine is a 2003, and it was a major investment when I bought it.  Can't imagine doing that to it.

Good thing is there isn't any wood in it so structurally it should be decent unless it was hit at some point.

Edited by SoDakSooner
18 hours ago, robbennett said:

That boat is so neglected. I'm sure that boat has pretty low hours but probably doesn't run. It says on the CR that the odometer works but has 0 hours on engine. That sometimes means it doesn't run but you never know. It's a gamble for sure. I'm also wondering what ate those seats and if it could have done damage elsewhere. They also didn't show inside any of the compartments. Probably so much mold in there. Being from florida doesn't necessarily mean saltwater especially from that area of florida. The trailer is in really good condition for a salt boat. The corrosion inside the engine compartment could be from standing water and humidity from being left out under a cover with the plugs in. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is it would have to be insanely cheap to even think about getting. 

There is an 06 23xti with a hammerhead in it at southern California that looks like it is a way better candidate for a project but will probably bring a good bit more. 

Yeah i have had similar thoughts about what else is torn up.  wiring could be a nightmare, although I'm sure a full wiring harness could be purchased. I seen that 06 but that's getting pretty far away. Not that the 03 is close. It will definitely have to be cheap to make it worth it. 

How good are you looking to get it?  You thinking full restoration or just get it to usable?

Needs:

1. Seat foam
  2. Seat skins
  3. Probably refinished dash vinyl if possible
  4. New MDC
  5. New gauges
  6. New engine
  7. New ECM
  8. New battery (guessing)
  9. New carpet
  10. New stereo
  11. New speakers
  12. New prop
  13. Looks like someone ground the front lower edge of the rudder unless it was changed for '03
  14. New throttle, shift, and steering cables
  15. Possibly some new wiring
  16. An exorcist