Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005-2008 VLX Owners - Bilge pump question

My 05 VLX never seems to be able to do a good job of pumping the bilge. I am wondering if any of you have encountered the same. I run it in the water, and then run it while accelerating and on plane so the water falls to the back. After coming off plane I can still have an inch of water in there...

I have a 2005 23 LSV with similar issues. On occasion, when taking the boat onto a plane, the automatic "bilge on" lamp illuminates on the dash but no water is observed being pumped overboard. After a few minutes, the lamp goes out but again, no water has been observed exiting the discharge tube. Checked the discharge hose and it's clear, removed the pump from the base and switched it on and unit appears clear of debris. never seems to get the water out of the boat.

I just picked up a Rule 750 which I will be installing while down for the winter. I'm thinking the factory Attwood may be worn or possible undersized.

FWIW, this is my first fresh water inboard boat. Have and had various single and twin engine salt water boats and when those bilge pumps came on there was always water exiting the boat.

In my 06 vlx the bilge is mid ship user the harsh by the drivers seat, I don't have one by the motor.  it will come on from time to time when we're sitting, but will leave an inch of water.  it can't pull water from below the pump inlet so there will always be some water in the bilge. 

10 hours ago, GranvilleMalibu23 said:

I have a 2005 23 LSV with similar issues. On occasion, when taking the boat onto a plane, the automatic "bilge on" lamp illuminates on the dash but no water is observed being pumped overboard. After a few minutes, the lamp goes out but again, no water has been observed exiting the discharge tube. Checked the discharge hose and it's clear, removed the pump from the base and switched it on and unit appears clear of debris. never seems to get the water out of the boat.

I just picked up a Rule 750 which I will be installing while down for the winter. I'm thinking the factory Attwood may be worn or possible undersized.

FWIW, this is my first fresh water inboard boat. Have and had various single and twin engine salt water boats and when those bilge pumps came on there was always water exiting the boat.

My 2005 VLX can be described just as above. Occasionally the auto bilge function comes on for a minute when getting on plane and see very little or no water coming out.

Seems like the bilge pump is not located in a very good position in the boat but it will work if you're actually having an issue. Last summer I had a hose come loose on the piggy back system in one of the rear lockers and was filling the bilge instead of the sack when getting ready to surf. It pumped A LOT of water out that day. 

Since I trailer the boat I just pull the transom drain plug when coming up the ramp at the end of the day. However, I'll have the boat in the water for 3-4 days on some longer weekends and has never had an issue with water accumulating in the bilge more than an inch or so. 

On 7/25/2016 at 3:34 PM, 95echelon said:

My 05 VLX never seems to be able to do a good job of pumping the bilge. I am wondering if any of you have encountered the same. I run it in the water, and then run it while accelerating and on plane so the water falls to the back. After coming off plane I can still have an inch of water in there...

My bilge runs and water comes out.  I still have the factory pump back under the engine area.  But you're right, even after it stops running, there is always still water in there.   I've just gotten used to it.

13 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

It's a boat. They have water in the bilge. I can find lots of worse things to worry about.

Doesn't worry me a bit, just curious as to the placement. My personal issue is that it seems the center would be a better place for the pump, but they put it in the rear...Seems like @stags79 they put it in the center.

I never had an issue on the lift, but after being in the water for a week a surprising amount of water can gather while moored before pumping. 

If you put it in the middle, then it wouldn't work when the boat was at speed. And lets face it, most leaks happen at speed (prop packing, ballast, etc).

Edited by Bill_AirJunky